queens rangers highland company

  • SSY
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 12, 2013
      Along these same lines I noticed that the queens rangers had a highland company that was equipped as the other highland regiments? Does anyone have any references or doc for this? Are there any returns or order books for this company? Do we know what equipment they were being issued as in plaids, bonnets, basket swords etc like the 1st battalion of the 84th or were they going more the direction of regiments like the 42nd who had mostly abandoned the "traditional" equipmentn and were basicaly any other regiment but maybe in bonnets?

      Cheers
      Stephen
    • Todd Braisted
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 12, 2013
        Stephen

        All we know is what Simcoe published in his book after the war:

        “…the eleventh [company] was formed of Highlanders. Several of those brave men, who had been defeated in an attempt to join the army in North Carolina, were now in the corps; to those others were added, and the command was given to Captain M’Kay; they were furnished with the Highland dress, and their national piper, and were posted on the left flank of the regiment…”
        Where they got the dress from, what it looked like, I have no idea. It wasn't from the Provincial stores, that much I can tell you.

        Todd Braisted
        ivbnnjv@...