the landing of british troops in conn.

  • bgh_dn
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 11, 2013
      list i was reading of the landing of general tryon at west haven
      conn.
      with 2500 troops strong . the whole country being in an uproar there
      was a group of 100 men was sent out to slow the advance of the
      king,s
      troops while the people in the towns could flee to the countryside.
      naphtali dagget a local preacher and patriot on an old black mare
      came
      up and passed the men who were heading out to deter the british
      advance
      with a long fowling piece setting out to set an example the band
      of men
      gave a loud cheer as he passed by. when running into the advanced
      guard began to fire after much fighting were pushed into a field
      and
      were eventually sorounded . in conn did the british stay there
      long
      or did they just burn down towns and leave ?
      william b 7th va

    • gene3f
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 12, 2013
        They did not stay long. Trion's forces landed at West Haven (on the beach near the end of Campbell Ave) and at what is Lighthouse Point on the other side of the Harber. The group from Light House captured Ft. Hale and sent a force over to East Haven.
        Gen. Garth's forces managed to get into New Haven and encamped overnight on the New Haven Green after being repulsed trying to cross the bridge at what is now US 1 crossing the West River. The militia tore up the planks of the bridge at US 1 and held the New Haven side with the help of cannon taken off merchants ships at the city warf. Garth continued north on the edge of the marsh and eventually fought across the river near what is Whalley Ave.
        While they took Ft. Hale on the East side of the harbor, the British could not get at the earthworks and cannon on what was effectvily an island of Fair Haven which is bounded on the East by the Quinnipiac River. This kept Tryon's ships well out in the harbor. The orders for Garth and the commander on the East side of the harbor were to burn the city- in retaliation for the population's support of the rebels. But Garth was not able to get any of his troops off via the docks before dark and, having to camp on the green overnight, wisely elected not to burn where he was forced to stay. By morning the militia units from the surrounding towns had gathered on the western side of New Haven and were pushing in. Tryon managed to get the ships boats from his transports into the dock area and extract Garth's men as well as marching the troops on the East Haven side out far enough to lift them off as well.
        Fearing what the sight of smoke from burning the town would do with the large force of militia, Garth waited until all but the last of his troops were evacuated by boats and then set fire to a couple of ships at the warf and a warehouse. As he expected, the smoke from the fires triggered an attack by the militia though he was still able to pull out the last of his guards at the waterfront.

        We did the battle durring the Bicentenial.

        Gene Frechette
        5th Conn

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 13, 2013
          Mostly they just raided and left. Connecticut having no major cities on the shore was not strategically important enough to occupy for any length of time. Ports were raided throughout the war, the largest of these was Benedict Arnold's raid on his own state at New London.

          Jim M
          9th Foot