Re: [Revlist] Measuring strong drink

  • Sgt42rhr
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 30, 2013
      Thank you John, would you know of an image of one of these rounded pewter gill measures?

      Cheers,
      John

      John M. Johnston
      “P.S. If you do not receive this, of course it must have been miscarried; therefore I beg you to write and let me know.” - Sir Boyle Roche, M.P.

      On Jan 30, 2013, at 4:27 AM, "johnrsnider@..." <johnrsnider@...> wrote:

      > There were gills, for the issue of grog, and half gills, for bad boys.
      > the gill was an eighth of a pint. They were usually pewter, very rounded. The practice of the issue of grog was attributed to Admiral Vernon, under whom Lawrence Washington served, in the 1740s. later he named his Virginia estate "Mount Vernon" in the Admiral's honor.

      > Sgt42RHR@... wrote:
      >
      > >To all assembled,
      > >
      > >I am interested in knowing about the 18th century equivalent of a 21st
      > >century jigger--that ubiquitous 1 or 1 1/2 ounce measure for strong spirits.
      > >
      > >Were they used during our period? What were they called? What were they
      > >made of? What did they look like? Do we have images of the 18th century
      > >equivalent of a jigger? References to same?
      > >
      > >I appreciate greatly your help in this matter.
      > >
      > >Cheers,
      > >John
      > >
      > >John M. Johnston
      > >There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness. Dave Barry.

    • VJorden
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 30, 2013
        I was able to find a few images:

        http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/18th-century-pewter-gill-with-stylized-bee-many

        http://www.iantique.com/marketplace/category/384/Metals/listings/8707/18th-Century-Irish-Pewter-1-Gill-Measure.html

        http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200852690593

        This one also includes a little bit about why they call it a gill:

        http://www.etsy.com/listing/45291316/vintage-shot-glass-measures-pewter-gill

        Hope this helps!

        VJ

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 30, 2013
          VJ, Thank you!!

          On Jan 30, 2013, at 7:06 AM, "VJorden" <v_jorden@...> wrote:

          > I was able to find a few images:
          >
          > http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/18th-century-pewter-gill-with-stylized-bee-many
          >
          > http://www.iantique.com/marketplace/category/384/Metals/listings/8707/18th-Century-Irish-Pewter-1-Gill-Measure.html
          >
          > http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200852690593
          >
          > This one also includes a little bit about why they call it a gill:
          >
          > http://www.etsy.com/listing/45291316/vintage-shot-glass-measures-pewter-gill
          >
          > Hope this helps!
          >
          > VJ
          >
          > --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, Sgt42rhr wrote:
          > >
          > > Thank you John, would you know of an image of one of these rounded pewter gill measures?
          > >
          > > Cheers,
          > > John
          > >
          > > John M. Johnston
          > > “P.S. If you do not receive this, of course it must have been miscarried; therefore I beg you to write and let me know.” - Sir Boyle Roche, M.P.
          > >
          > > On Jan 30, 2013, at 4:27 AM, "johnrsnider@..." wrote:
          > >
          > > > There were gills, for the issue of grog, and half gills, for bad boys.
          > > > the gill was an eighth of a pint. They were usually pewter, very rounded. The practice of the issue of grog was attributed to Admiral Vernon, under whom Lawrence Washington served, in the 1740s. later he named his Virginia estate "Mount Vernon" in the Admiral's honor.
          > > >
          > > > Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID

        • Woolsey, David
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 30, 2013
            Dear List,

            A gill (phonetic "jill") is four ounces, or ¼ of a pint; a half cup. An Imperial Gill is 5 ounces.

            YOHS

            Dave Woolsey