Re: [Revlist] Pet peeve: Pronounce "victuals" correctly, please

  • Sgt42rhr
    Message 1 of 26 , Jan 8, 2013
      Hi David, I'd be really interested to know more about 18th century dictionaries that are online.

      Thank you,
      John

      John M. Johnston
      “P.S. If you do not receive this, of course it must have been miscarried; therefore I beg you to write and let me know.” - Sir Boyle Roche, M.P.

      On Jan 8, 2013, at 4:38 AM, The Hairy Loon <the.hairy.loon@...> wrote:
      > Checking this out online with many dictionaries, I can only find one that
      > drops the c in pronounciation,

    • Woolsey, David
      Message 2 of 26 , Jan 8, 2013
        So ...,

        Which pronounciation is VIC-torious? VIC tuals or Vittles?

        After all, I should like to avoid being nihilarian or inaniloquent, so
        if we were to provide chitterlings or gnocchi to the men as victuals,
        how should we pronounce the word?

        YOHS

        Dave Woolsey

        the.hairy.loon@... <mailto:the.hairy.loon%40virginmedia.com>
        > wrote:
        > Checking this out online with many dictionaries, I can only find one
        that
        > drops the c in pronounciation,

      • William
        Message 3 of 26 , Jan 8, 2013
          There are quite a few words that are common in 18th century vocabulary which are pronounced different than they are spelled. "Draught" is another one, whether applied to horses or beer. It's a draft horse or a draft beer, not a "drawt" or "drowt".

          Along these lines, it seems very common to hear "coup de grah" for "coup de grace." The C is not silent, as in the last T in "coup d'etat."

          ~ William Myers, independent historian.

          --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "Woolsey, David" wrote:

          > So ...,
          >

          > Which pronounciation is VIC-torious? VIC tuals or Vittles?
          >

          > After all, I should like to avoid being nihilarian or inaniloquent, so
          > if we were to provide chitterlings or gnocchi to the men as victuals,
          > how should we pronounce the word?
          >

          > YOHS
          >

          > Dave Woolsey

        • Folo Watkins
          Message 4 of 26 , Jan 8, 2013
            For any funny book fans out there. I shared Don's rant with friends on Facebook and noted that I was taught the pronunciation in high school. Someone else who knew the pronunciation observed that victual was probably Superman's father's brother... :)

            Cheers, Folo
            (who gets recommendations for history books and comic collections from Amazon)
          • donhagist
            Message 5 of 26 , Jan 8, 2013
              I have yet to find an on-line dictionary (or any source, for that matter) where the WRITTEN pronunciation guide voices the c and the u in "victuals." They all show something like "vit-lz". If someone has found another, voicing the c and/or v, please point me to it.
              It is strange to me that the dictionary linked below gives different pronunciations in the audio clips than it shows in the written guide - the dictionary contradicts itself. It is, of course, difficult to determine the everyday pronunciation of words that are no longer in everyday use, so it is difficult to know whether this particular dictionary has either the audio or the written rendering wrong, or if alternate pronunciations are accepted.
              As for the comparison to "victory", the point is well taken but it is risky to assume that similar spellings equate to similar pronunciations. Just look at all of the "ough" words in our wonderful language.
              I offer this not to be defensive or contradictory, but to further the discussion.
              Don N. Hagist
              http://revolutionaryimprints.com
              http://redcoat76.blogspot.com

              --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, The Hairy Loon wrote:

              > Checking this out online with many dictionaries, I can only find one that
              > drops the c in pronounciation, in fact if you go to
              > http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/victuals there is a
              > voice giving English and American pronounciation.
              > It came from the Latin victualia, into French as vitaille, and English as
              > victuals, so you are probably using the offshoot of the French, after all,
              > they are the reason you drive on the wrong side of the road.
              > Also from the Latin comes victory, and the c is pronounced in that,
              > although harsher than in victuals.
              > David.
              > U.K.
              >
              > > On Jan 7, 2013, at 7:45 PM, "donhagist" wrote:
              > >
              > > > The word is spelled "victuals" but is pronounced "vittles."

            • Robert Aldridge
              Message 6 of 26 , Jan 8, 2013
                Does the AVERAGE American pronounce anything correctly ???

                “The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you will go."R.C.A.
                Gulag 41

                ________________________________

                --- In mailto:Revlist%40yahoogroups.com, The Hairy Loon wrote:

                > Checking this out online with many dictionaries, I can only find one that
                > drops the c in pronounciation, in fact if you go to
                > http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/victuals there is a
                > voice giving English and American pronounciation.
                > It came from the Latin victualia, into French as vitaille, and English as
                > victuals, so you are probably using the offshoot of the French, after all,
                > they are the reason you drive on the wrong side of the road.
                > Also from the Latin comes victory, and the c is pronounced in that,
                > although harsher than in victuals.
                > David.
                > U.K.
                >
                > > On Jan 7, 2013, at 7:45 PM, "donhagist" wrote:
                > >
                > > > The word is spelled "victuals" but is pronounced "vittles."

              • jackfortune
                Message 7 of 26 , Jan 9, 2013
                  Give that man a REE-ward!

                  --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, Robert Aldridge wrote:

                  > Does the AVERAGE American pronounce anything correctly ???
                • roofushudson
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jan 9, 2013
                    Per an alternative dictionary, "vittles" is sustained - no pun - via
                    written, audio, as well as a list of rhyming words. Also, there are 15 site user
                    comments regarding victuals, providing source citations biblical, other
                    literary, and even U.S. legal/regulatory -

                    _http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/victuals_
                    (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/victuals)

                    Cheers,

                    Bob McDonald

                    _www.RevWar75.com_ (http://www.RevWar75.com)

                  • The Hairy Loon
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jan 10, 2013
                      I went to that site
                      _http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/victuals_not a very good
                      example, as they say that there is no such word as
                      victuals, but when you go to the vittles page, they say that the
                      alternative is victuals, there are many pages out there to support one way
                      or the other.
                      However, in the correct use of the English language, the vowel u is
                      normally soft, as in uniform or universe, this will cause the preceding
                      consonants to become soft, so that vict becomes vich, making the
                      pronouncement as vichuals, which when spoken aloud, sounds very like
                      vittles, as against my previous, joking, example, victory, where the vowel
                      o, normally harsh, leavies the previous two consonants harsh as well, so it
                      becomes vik tory, as against the o in home, or joke, where the o follows
                      one consonant, becoming soft.
                      I would have thought though, that however you pronounced a word depended on
                      whom you were portraying, we have groups that only speak French, German, or
                      even Latin when on site, a bit over the top sometimes.
                      Enough from me, someone who is becoming fed up with the modern lazy misuse
                      of the English language, with words like "prolly" and "diss", whatever that
                      means, creeping into everyday use.
                      David.
                      U.K.

                    • Woolsey, David
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jan 10, 2013
                        I checked http://thesaurus.com/ and they have an audio pronounciation
                        option, and "victuals" is pronounced "vittle" without the "s"; probably
                        should be with the "s" though. So "sounds" like evidence, ...and pun
                        intended!

                        YOHS

                        Dave Woolsey

                        Message 11 of 26 , Jan 10, 2013
                          Sounded like viDDles to me.
                          Why not do as we do, ring the triangle, shout "Grub up, if you're not here
                          in two minutes, your dinner will be in the dog".
                          David

                        • Woolsey, David
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jan 10, 2013
                            Nope no S.

                            YOHS

                            Dave Woolsey

                            Message 13 of 26 , Jan 10, 2013
                              Members of the List,
                                 There is another thing that we Americans must remember, we don't  from speak the Queen's English. We speak what is termed Standard American English.  Standard American English is that language that follows those rules found in grammar and compoition handbooks.  This is different Standard British English as our, American, rules for spelling and some grammar rules are different.  So as a result how the English pronounce victuals and how we pronounce it are going to be different.  If you have never seen the movie "Love Actually"  watch it and especially watch the part where the Brit comes to the American bar in Milwaukee.
                                  Jeff Smith
                                 24th CMR
                              (Speech Communications Teacher for 25 years)

                              Message 14 of 26 , Jan 10, 2013
                                There ought to be a pronunciation guide for 18th-century speech produced for re-enactors and historical impersonators.

                                One factor would be the mixture of local accents and the prevalence of foreign-born people in America at the time. That is certainly not reproduced by re-enactors.

                                Roman scholar W. Sidney Allen produced the Vox Latina, a pronunciation guide derived partially from wax tablets that belonged to students. Phoenetic misspellings were used to determine how the words were likely pronounced in ancient Rome. It is an impressive research project. Just as in modern France or 18th century America, there were certainly regional variations.

                                I did a perfunctory search for "victuals" in poetry but discovedred no passages that indicate its pronunciation, as Don Hagist had used as supporting evidence for the pronuncuation of huzzah.

                                Anecdote: the cat food "Tender Vittles" was originally "Tender Victuals" but its mispronunciation was so common they chande the name to its phoenetic form.

                                William Myers. independant historian.

                                PS: Phoentic spellings in pension applications provide clues: I wondered whether my ancestor Major Daniel Piatt pronounced his name with the traditional French Pee-ott, which happens to be the name of an anti-tank rocket launcher in France, or Pie-ott, or even Pee- at, but pension applications have not entirely settled the question but phoentic spellings suggest the traditional French pronunciation. (The Dutch Vliets, of his mother's side, pronounced the name Fleet.)

                                --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "jbsmith@..." wrote:

                                > Members of the List,
                                >    There is another thing that we Americans must remember, we don't  from speak the Queen's English. We speak what is termed Standard American English.  Standard American English is that language that follows those rules found in grammar and compoition handbooks.  This is different Standard British English as our, American, rules for spelling and some grammar rules are different.  So as a result how the English pronounce victuals and how we pronounce it are going to be different.  If you have never seen the movie "Love Actually"  watch it and especially watch the part where the Brit comes to the American bar in Milwaukee.
                                >     Jeff Smith
                                >    24th CMR
                                > (Speech Communications Teacher for 25 years)

                              • ebolton123
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jan 10, 2013
                                  William,
                                  I'd rather folks take the time to get their clothing properly fitted and hand sewn, and our camps cleared of all the anacronisms before we worry about how we say "victuals,vittles, huzza, huzzay". Honestly, I don't care how "PHD" some folks get over the intricacies of 18th century life. If they look like slobs in ill fitting, off the rack garments, and are sitting on a cooler covered with a WWII Army blanket, wearing modern glasses, smoking a cigarette... who cares what they have to say?
                                  Cheers,
                                  Bob Bolton

                                  --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "William" wrote:

                                  > There ought to be a pronunciation guide for 18th-century speech produced for re-enactors and historical impersonators.
                                  >
                                  > One factor would be the mixture of local accents and the prevalence of foreign-born people in America at the time. That is certainly not reproduced by re-enactors.
                                  >
                                  > Roman scholar W. Sidney Allen produced the Vox Latina, a pronunciation guide derived partially from wax tablets that belonged to students. Phoenetic misspellings were used to determine how the words were likely pronounced in ancient Rome. It is an impressive research project. Just as in modern France or 18th century America, there were certainly regional variations.
                                  >
                                  > I did a perfunctory search for "victuals" in poetry but discovedred no passages that indicate its pronunciation, as Don Hagist had used as supporting evidence for the pronuncuation of huzzah.
                                  >
                                  > Anecdote: the cat food "Tender Vittles" was originally "Tender Victuals" but its mispronunciation was so common they chande the name to its phoenetic form.
                                  >
                                  > William Myers. independant historian.
                                  >
                                  > PS: Phoentic spellings in pension applications provide clues: I wondered whether my ancestor Major Daniel Piatt pronounced his name with the traditional French Pee-ott, which happens to be the name of an anti-tank rocket launcher in France, or Pie-ott, or even Pee- at, but pension applications have not entirely settled the question but phoentic spellings suggest the traditional French pronunciation. (The Dutch Vliets, of his mother's side, pronounced the name Fleet.)
                                  >

                                  > --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "jbsmith@" wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Members of the List,
                                  > >    There is another thing that we Americans must remember, we don't  from speak the Queen's English. We speak what is termed Standard American English.  Standard American English is that language that follows those rules found in grammar and compoition handbooks.  This is different Standard British English as our, American, rules for spelling and some grammar rules are different.  So as a result how the English pronounce victuals and how we pronounce it are going to be different.  If you have never seen the movie "Love Actually"  watch it and especially watch the part where the Brit comes to the American bar in Milwaukee.
                                  > >     Jeff Smith
                                  > >    24th CMR
                                  > > (Speech Communications Teacher for 25 years)

                                • Jack Reimer
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jan 10, 2013
                                    LIKE..............

                                    Jack Reimer

                                    ________________________________
> [...]

                                    > --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "jbsmith@" wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Members of the List,
                                    > >    There is another thing that we Americans must remember, we don't  from speak the Queen's English. We speak what is termed Standard American English.  Standard American English is that language that follows those rules found in grammar and compoition handbooks.  This is different Standard British English as our, American, rules for spelling and some grammar rules are different.  So as a result how the English pronounce victuals and how we pronounce it are going to be different.  If you have never seen the movie "Love Actually"  watch it and especially watch the part where the Brit comes to the American bar in Milwaukee.
                                    > >     Jeff Smith
                                    > >    24th CMR
                                    > > (Speech Communications Teacher for 25 years)

                                  • The Hairy Loon
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jan 10, 2013
                                      I have carried on in this discussion as I feel that the hobby can get a bit
                                      anal, we are now in 2013, if any of you can tell me how a sod buster of
                                      German descent, in mid Arizona circa 1750 would say any word, then you are
                                      much older than you look.
                                      We have a group over here, The Ermin Street Guard, (Roman Legion about
                                      50AD) that insist on speaking Latin, all orders, all mess drill etc etc.
                                      To hear them marching along the road to the chant of Sinister, Sinister,
                                      Sinister, Dexter Sinister, is a wonder to us all, especially those of us
                                      still doing straw foot, hay foot, in 1812, and being issued with boots,
                                      feet, for the use off.
                                      Mixing periods, we used to have one member in our Tudor group that spoke
                                      perfect Shakespearean English, you could not see the public for dust.
                                      As Bob Bolton says, wear the correct kit, portray the living, fighting and
                                      weaponry, but please do not try to be too pedantic with the speech of the
                                      time.
                                      No more from me on the subject.
                                      David. U.K.
                                      P.S. Hint.
                                      Left, Left, Left, Right Left.
                                      We did keep asking them for the order to break step when they approached a
                                      stone bridge, but we were ignored.
                                      P.P.S.
                                      Still no comment about the wrong side of the road?

                                      On 10 January 2013 22:15, ebolton123 <ebolton123@...> wrote:

                                      > William,
                                      > I'd rather folks take the time to get their clothing properly fitted and
                                      > hand sewn, and our camps cleared of all the anacronisms before we worry
                                      > about how we say "victuals,vittles, huzza, huzzay". Honestly, I don't care
                                      > how "PHD" some folks get over the intricacies of 18th century life. If
                                      > they look like slobs in ill fitting, off the rack garments, and are sitting
                                      > on a cooler covered with a WWII Army blanket, wearing modern glasses,
                                      > smoking a cigarette... who cares what they have to say?
                                      > Cheers,
                                      > Bob Bolton

                                    • mbkatzhyman
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jan 11, 2013
                                        For those who wish to practice their 18th-century English, Cathleene Hellier, an historian with Colonial Williamsburg, wrote "Eighteenth-century English as a second language : a workbook and series of instructional CDs", which I believe can be purchased through Colonial Williamsburg.

                                        One of Cathy's specialties is 18th-century language, and this is a project she'd been working on for many years. You might also want to read "The King's English: Eighteenth-Century Language," which was written for teachers and can be found on the CW website, here:
                                        http://www.history.org/history/teaching/enewsletter/june03/english.cfm.

                                        Hope this is useful.

                                        Martha Katz-Hyman
                                      • ebolton123
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jan 14, 2013
                                          David,
                                          Thanks for the support. Yea, having been involved in the hobby for 30 years in many time periods, I have always found folks trying to "talk the talk" more comical than historically educational.
                                          Time periods from say WWII to the present, it's obviously easy to toss in an ocasional period slang word or phrase like,"hey Joe, wattaya know", or "get the skinny on the situation" to give a couple common WWII American phrases. But anything pre-WWI, or before the first recorded voice, it starts to get real tough to really know "how they talked". I personally doubt that the so called "experts" REALLY know, beyond a better than average educated guess(?).
                                          Cheers,
                                          Bob Bolton

                                          --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, The Hairy Loon wrote:

                                          > I have carried on in this discussion as I feel that the hobby can get a bit
                                          > anal, we are now in 2013, if any of you can tell me how a sod buster of
                                          > German descent, in mid Arizona circa 1750 would say any word, then you are
                                          > much older than you look.
                                          > We have a group over here, The Ermin Street Guard, (Roman Legion about
                                          > 50AD) that insist on speaking Latin, all orders, all mess drill etc etc.
                                          > To hear them marching along the road to the chant of Sinister, Sinister,
                                          > Sinister, Dexter Sinister, is a wonder to us all, especially those of us
                                          > still doing straw foot, hay foot, in 1812, and being issued with boots,
                                          > feet, for the use off.
                                          > Mixing periods, we used to have one member in our Tudor group that spoke
                                          > perfect Shakespearean English, you could not see the public for dust.
                                          > As Bob Bolton says, wear the correct kit, portray the living, fighting and
                                          > weaponry, but please do not try to be too pedantic with the speech of the
                                          > time.
                                          > No more from me on the subject.
                                          > David. U.K.
                                          > P.S. Hint.
                                          > Left, Left, Left, Right Left.
                                          > We did keep asking them for the order to break step when they approached a
                                          > stone bridge, but we were ignored.
                                          > P.P.S.
                                          > Still no comment about the wrong side of the road?
                                          >

                                          > On 10 January 2013 22:15, ebolton123 wrote:
                                          >
                                          > > William,
                                          > > I'd rather folks take the time to get their clothing properly fitted and
                                          > > hand sewn, and our camps cleared of all the anacronisms before we worry
                                          > > about how we say "victuals,vittles, huzza, huzzay". Honestly, I don't care
                                          > > how "PHD" some folks get over the intricacies of 18th century life. If
                                          > > they look like slobs in ill fitting, off the rack garments, and are sitting
                                          > > on a cooler covered with a WWII Army blanket, wearing modern glasses,
                                          > > smoking a cigarette... who cares what they have to say?
                                          > > Cheers,
                                          > > Bob Bolton

                                        • William
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jan 14, 2013
                                            Dear Mr. Bolton et al.,

                                            Aren't yopu guys really beating a dead horse? Enough already, reenactors don't want to be bothered. Point taken.

                                            Enough people have expressed a sufficient interest in the vernacular to produce the aforementioned King's Speech CD, which is what "I" was looking for.

                                            If you don;t like it, ignore it... or as our friend Mr. Martin so eloquently expresses it:

                                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zANvYB93u2g

                                            --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "ebolton123" wrote:

                                            > David,
                                            > Thanks for the support. Yea, having been involved in the hobby for 30 years in many time periods, I have always found folks trying to "talk the talk" more comical than historically educational.
                                            > Time periods from say WWII to the present, it's obviously easy to toss in an ocasional period slang word or phrase like,"hey Joe, wattaya know", or "get the skinny on the situation" to give a couple common WWII American phrases. But anything pre-WWI, or before the first recorded voice, it starts to get real tough to really know "how they talked". I personally doubt that the so called "experts" REALLY know, beyond a better than average educated guess(?).
                                            > Cheers,
                                            > Bob Bolton
                                            >

                                            > --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, The Hairy Loon wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > I have carried on in this discussion as I feel that the hobby can get a bit
                                            > > anal, we are now in 2013, if any of you can tell me how a sod buster of
                                            > > German descent, in mid Arizona circa 1750 would say any word, then you are
                                            > > much older than you look.
                                            > > We have a group over here, The Ermin Street Guard, (Roman Legion about
                                            > > 50AD) that insist on speaking Latin, all orders, all mess drill etc etc.
                                            > > To hear them marching along the road to the chant of Sinister, Sinister,
                                            > > Sinister, Dexter Sinister, is a wonder to us all, especially those of us
                                            > > still doing straw foot, hay foot, in 1812, and being issued with boots,
                                            > > feet, for the use off.
                                            > > Mixing periods, we used to have one member in our Tudor group that spoke
                                            > > perfect Shakespearean English, you could not see the public for dust.
                                            > > As Bob Bolton says, wear the correct kit, portray the living, fighting and
                                            > > weaponry, but please do not try to be too pedantic with the speech of the
                                            > > time.
                                            > > No more from me on the subject.
                                            > > David. U.K.
                                            > > P.S. Hint.
                                            > > Left, Left, Left, Right Left.
                                            > > We did keep asking them for the order to break step when they approached a
                                            > > stone bridge, but we were ignored.
                                            > > P.P.S.
                                            > > Still no comment about the wrong side of the road?
                                            > >

                                            > > On 10 January 2013 22:15, ebolton123 wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > > William,
                                            > > > I'd rather folks take the time to get their clothing properly fitted and
                                            > > > hand sewn, and our camps cleared of all the anacronisms before we worry
                                            > > > about how we say "victuals,vittles, huzza, huzzay". Honestly, I don't care
                                            > > > how "PHD" some folks get over the intricacies of 18th century life. If
                                            > > > they look like slobs in ill fitting, off the rack garments, and are sitting
                                            > > > on a cooler covered with a WWII Army blanket, wearing modern glasses,
                                            > > > smoking a cigarette... who cares what they have to say?
                                            > > > Cheers,
                                            > > > Bob Bolton

                                          • ebolton123
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Jan 15, 2013
                                              William,
                                              So sorry...just having a conversation here. Thought that was what the list was for. If your bothered by the length of a given conversation...ignore it? Hmmm...where did I just hear that? ;)