Re: [Revlist] Re: Spain in AmRev weblink

  • PAUL & LAURA PACE
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 6, 2013
      John - make sure you present both sides of the Spanish participation.  The British considered the Pensacola siege a great success for 600+ Brits, Hessians and Provincials tieing up over 20,000 French and Spanish troops and 54 ships for months.

      See the following Waldeck journal.

      Paul Pace

      Excerpts of Journal of Siege of Pensacola by Corp.  Carl Philipp Steuernagel, 3rd Waldeck Regt. 1778 - 1781

                  The 9th of March 1781, the Spaniards, whom we had expecting for some time, finally appeared and showed that they were serious about Pensacola.
                  An armed ship, Mentor, which was the only protection for our harbor, fired seven cannon shots outside the harbor, the Signal that an enemy fleet had been discovered nearby in the Gulf, and from which early in the morning we heard three cannon shots and about nine o’clock, saw 38 ships which approached Ross Island from the east and sailed about off our harbor this day. In the evening, they went to that island, where they landed their troops...
                  The 25th, sixteen more ships arrived, mostly French, to join the Spanish fleet. They came from Havana.  Now we learned that the Spaniards had a total of 22,000 men who besieged us...
                  From the 1st to the 2nd of May, during this night the firing ceased and the damage to our defenses was repaired.
                  The 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 and 7th, a routine fire with cannon, bombs, and howitzers was maintained.
                  On the 8th of May, at nine o’clock in the morning, we had a misfortune when an enemy bomb ignited our powder magazine in the outermost battery, which blew 52 men into the air, wounded many, and completely ruined our fortification, also...
                  Finally, the Spaniards understood that it would still cause many bloody heads. So they perceived it as advisable that they accept our proposed capitulation and concluded [the siege]. The adjutant returned a third time andpresented the final articles signed by the Spanish general.
                  Still the enemy had more of which to be ashamed. Our weak force gained true honor, because the enemy, since the 9th of March, with 22,000 men besieged six hundred men and still on the 10th of [May]  we marched out of our fort with flags flying and with martial music, and Spain paid the costs when we were transported free to North America, specifically to New York...

                  Source: “Memoir of Carl Philipp Steurnagel, 3rd Waldeck Regiment,” trans. by Bruce E. Burgoyne, Journal of the Johannes Schwalm Historical Association, Volume 6, Number 1, 1997.

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 9, 2013
        Thomas Chavez's "Spain and the Independence of the United States: An Intrinsic Gift" (U of NM) is an outstanding book! Barnes & Noble carries it.

        The National Museum of American Art had a glorious exhibition on Spain and the Revolution a few years ago. Chavez, Director of the Palace of the Governors Museum in Santa Fe, was the keynote speaker at the companion symposium . Chavez and Goya and Peale portraits together! YES!!

        Also, the Reg imento de Luisiana i s  a fine Rev War reenactment unit. Eliud Bonilla, a member from the Washington DC area, has often been on  Revlist. The members I've met have all been Hispanics.
        Francisco Miranda, the founder of the independence movement in Spanish America, served with  Gov. Bernardo de Galvez and toured the US after the Revolutionary War.
        Jack Gardner

        .

      • DelRev225th@...
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 9, 2013
          Jack is absolutely right! Chavez's book is great!

          Kim

          In a message dated 1/9/2013 5:50:34 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          njgardner@... writes:

          Thomas Chavez's "Spain and the Independence of the United States: An
          Intrinsic Gift" (U of NM) is an outstanding book! Barnes & Noble carries it.

          The National Museum of American Art had a glorious exhibition on Spain and
          the Revolution a few years ago. Chavez, Director of the Palace of the
          Governors Museum in Santa Fe, was the keynote speaker at the companion
          symposium . Chavez and Goya and Peale portraits together! YES!!

          Also, the Reg imento de Luisiana i s a fine Rev War reenactment unit.
          Eliud Bonilla, a member from the Washington DC area, has often been on
          Revlist. The members I've met have all been Hispanics.
          Francisco Miranda, the founder of the independence movement in Spanish
          America, served with Gov. Bernardo de Galvez and toured the US after the
          Revolutionary War.
          Jack Gardner

          .

        • bvogler
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 10, 2013
            List-

            Americans who can trace their ancestors back to service in the Spanish
            military during the AWI are eligible for membership in the National Society
            Sons of the American Revolution.

            And so it goes,

            Bob V.

            ______