Re: [Revlist] Re: Quadrangle British camps

  • John Ogden
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 4, 2013
      Just some thoughts rattling around in my head here, but it occurs to me
      that we frequently over-emphasize the period's ideal at the expense of what
      was practical at the time; similarly, we over-emphasize modern convenience
      and sense of personal space at the expense of documented practice.

      To start with the latter point, at events we tend to sleep with one
      occupant per tent, despite the fact that on average five men were assigned
      to each tent; when we have multiple occupants per tent, it usually involves
      a family group. I don't want to disparage family participation in the hobby
      (my own son, age 6, has just recently started joining me at events), but we
      do need to see more single campers sharing tents just to give a more
      accurate picture, both to the public and to ourselves.
      To move backwards towards the first point, I believe that we should see
      more use of less formal structures when portraying a unit on-campaign, such
      as brush huts. This may not be practical most of the time as many sites
      aren't keen on having a horde of people attacking their flora with
      hatchets, building such structures, and then leaving the construction
      debris for the site to deal with after the event is over. That being said,
      if we can find documentation for the use of tents facing outwards so as to
      enable the occupants to quickly respond to emergencies, that seems much
      more practical then rows we currently see.

      John J. Ogden