British National Maritime Museum

  • Eliud Bonilla
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 31, 2012
      Hi,
      Has anyone done research at the British National Maritime Museum? I'm
      trying to find the logs of some ships regarding an obscure 1797 raid in
      the Caribbean. Of course, I'm in Virginia so it may be a while before I
      "cross the pond". Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

      Saludos,
      Eliud
    • The Hairy Loon
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2013
        You can do a lot of online research at
        http://www.rmg.co.uk/researchers/where for instance you can download
        PDFs, 12 of them, each containing the
        names and history of about 2500 warships, so that's coming on for 50,000 in
        all, that could keep you going for a while, also just putting in 1797 gets
        2470 results, you may get something from that lot.
        David.
        U.K.

        On 1 January 2013 06:21, Eliud Bonilla <bonilla.eliud@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        > Has anyone done research at the British National Maritime Museum? I'm
        > trying to find the logs of some ships regarding an obscure 1797 raid in
        > the Caribbean. Of course, I'm in Virginia so it may be a while before I
        > "cross the pond". Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
        >
        > Saludos,
        > Eliud

      • donhagist
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 1, 2013
          I have done some work with Captain's Logs and Master's Logs of British naval ships from the 18th century. These documents are held at the National Archives, not the National Maritime Museum.
          Using the on-line catalog you can quickly get the exact citations for the logs you need, if you already know the names of the ships. Go here:
          http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/search.asp
          (if that doesn't bring you to a page that lets you enter data, select the big "Search the Catalog" button)
          On the seach page, put the ship name in the "Word or phrase" field - just the one-word name, no prefix.
          In the "Department or Series" field, enter either
          ADM 51
          or
          ADM 52
          The first series is Captain's Logs, the second series is Master's Logs. This will give you the catalog numbers for each of the surviving log books, with the date range covered by each.
          The National Archives allows digital photography, so it's not very expensive to hire someone to get this information for you if you know the exact material that you want - catalog number and either pages or dates within the document.
          If you have any further questions about how to do this work, please contact me directly.
          Don N. Hagist
          http://revolutionaryimprints.com
          http://redcoat76.blogspot.com