Re: [Revlist] Grains for live firing a Bess

  • Andy Lucy
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 28, 2012
      I pass, on average, 5-7 stones per month. My urologist calls me "The
      Quarry." I think I have personally paid for his summer house and his
      ski boat over the last 25 years, or so. LOL

      On 12/28/2012 8:13 PM, Woolsey, David wrote:

      > Goog God man ! How many stones did you pass to make that cartridge!?
      > YEEOOW!
      >
      > YOHS
      >
      > Dave Woolsey.

    • chris DIPASQUALE
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 29, 2012
        110 grains in the cartridge which includes the prime.
        Chris
        ------------------------------
        On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 10:52 AM EST Todd Post wrote:

        >How many grains do you use for firing live with a Bess?
        >
        >Cheers,
        >Todd
      • Carol Kocian
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 29, 2012
          A while back, we were talking about ear plugs in flesh tones that
          would be inconspicuous for reenactors.
          Fab.com currently shows EarPeace Invisible Hi-Fi Earplugs in three
          different shades.

          -Carol
        • Allegretto
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 31, 2012
            according to an old Dixie Gun Works catalog, a .730 ball (Brown Bess) would use 80 FFG. I realize this isn't "rev war" data but it's consistant with other things I've read about ball to powder ratio being about 1:1 for smoothbores.

            Bob A

            --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, Todd Post <todd.post2@...> wrote:

            > How many grains do you use for firing live with a Bess?
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Todd

          • Dan H
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 31, 2012
              Agreed. And Happy New Year

              ________________________________
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 31, 2012
                Were you talking weight to weight, or size to weight, neither makes a lot
                of sense, and the Bess normally used a .710 ball, to allow for fouling
                during a battle, the powder of the time fouled the barrel very quickly, ok
                to use a larger patched ball now, slightly cleaner powder, also you can
                stop to clean the muck out.
                I'd like to see that in the middle of a battle:-
                "I say you chaps, would you mind awfully not moving for a moment or two,
                I've got to pee down my barrel".
                David.
                U.K.

                On 31 December 2012 16:51, Allegretto <2dragoon@...> wrote:

                > according to an old Dixie Gun Works catalog, a .730 ball (Brown Bess)
                > would use 80 FFG. I realize this isn't "rev war" data but it's consistant
                > with other things I've read about ball to powder ratio being about 1:1 for
                > smoothbores.

              • Dan H
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 31, 2012
                  Exactly as I stated, 100 grns, + 10 grns for priming. every gun has it's "sweet spot" and it takes a little playing to get there. The "bess" was a military weapon, and the cartriges were made and distributed by designated people for uniformity, therefore all had the same charge. As stated before powder in the 18th century was not as good of uniform as it is today, therefore to load by 18th century standards is innaccurate, and possibly dangerous.Linier warfare looked for volume and not accuracy so much.