Re: Maryland State Marines - anyone know anything

  • BDodgeWeaver@AOL.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 6, 2012
      --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "britmarinecapt" <britmarinecapt@...> wrote:

      > . . . As you know, the blue rifle frock, or hunting shirt, was issued to distinguish the marines from the other MD land forces . . . whether any of this stuff was ever issued, or in the appropriate colors, is another matter . . . Jim McG

      Dear Jim: The following citation is from Browne's Archives of Maryland, Vol. XVI, p. 288 -

      "C. B.
      Friday 13th June 1777.
      Present as on yesterday . . . Ordered That the Western Shore Treasurer pay to Colonel Thomas Price one hundred and fourteen Pounds, ten shillings for Amt of Acct That the Commissary of Stores deliver to Captn Matthews ten Blankets, fifteen shirts, twelve pr of shoes, four Jackets, thirty three yards of Oznr for the Marines on Board the Galley Independence, also six shirts, three pr shoes, three
      Jackets, & fifteen yards of Oznabgs for the Seamen on Board
      of ditto[.]"

      It sounds liek Captain Matthews is a Naval Captain - not a Marine Captain - as he is also providing for sailors on his vessel. However, I think there is a Captain Matthews that may be from Virginia at this time, and I do not know if this is an instance of interstate cooperation.

      I found this item through a footnote in Katcher's UNIFORMS OF THE CONTINENTAL ARMY. Therefore, at least in one instance Marines on actual service are seemingly getting what sailors are getting. Katcher has a few paragraphs about Maryland Navy clothing, and there are some references to red jackets. You may be able to find more by tracking such items using the name of the Marine officer, or the types of clothing held by the "Commissary of Stores" - I have had some luck tracking information with the German Rt. by the officer's name, and the Maryland Archives seem to have a great deal of "receipt" type paperwork.

      As you note, just because the Council of Safety declared an appropriate uniform does not mean it actually got issued.

      Hope this helps - Regards - Thad Weaver, German Rt.
    • Woolsey, David
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 7, 2012
        Well Captain, there are several muster lists of men who served as
        Maryland Marines..., but don't know how many were needed, vs. how many
        they actually had.

        YOHS

        Dave Woolsey

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 7, 2012
          Based on the availability of the MD state navy, I suspect they spent a lot of time on shore.

          Jim McG

          --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "Woolsey, David" <David.Woolsey@...> wrote:

          > Well Captain, there are several muster lists of men who served as
          > Maryland Marines..., but don't know how many were needed, vs. how many
          > they actually had.
          >

          > YOHS
          >

          > Dave Woolsey

        • gregsandor
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 8, 2012
            http://www.awiatsea.com/sn/MD/Baltimore%20Maryland%20Navy%20Galley%20%5bWalker%5d.html

            Marines mentioned here.

            --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "britmarinecapt" <britmarinecapt@...> wrote:

            > The fact that Maryland had marines is fairly well known. It is also well known that part of their issue included a blue frock, but they were also issued with a "short coat." Does anyone here have documentation on what color the coats were?
            >
            > Jim McGaughey

          • Damian Siekonic
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 10, 2012
              Jim,

              Do you have the book "Marines in the Revolution" by Charles Smith? There's a section on the state marines, including Maryland.

              Best,
              Damian Siekonic

              --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "gregsandor" <gregsandor@...> wrote:

              > http://www.awiatsea.com/sn/MD/Baltimore%20Maryland%20Navy%20Galley%20%5bWalker%5d.html
              >
              > Marines mentioned here.
              >

              > --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "britmarinecapt" <britmarinecapt@> wrote:
              > >
              > > The fact that Maryland had marines is fairly well known. It is also well known that part of their issue included a blue frock, but they were also issued with a "short coat." Does anyone here have documentation on what color the coats were?
              > >
              > > Jim McGaughey

            • britmarinecapt
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 10, 2012
                No I don't. Never heard of it. I'll look it up, thanks for the tip.

                Jim McG

              • johnjogden@gmail.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 10, 2012
                  Jim-
                  If you can't readily find a copy @ your library I can loan you mine (it's not prohibitively expensive, but not exactly cheap, either).

                  -- Sent from my Palm Pre
                  On Dec 10, 2012 3:49 PM, britmarinecapt <britmarinecapt@...> wrote:

                  No I don't. Never heard of it. I'll look it up, thanks for the tip.

                  Jim McG

                  --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "Damian Siekonic" <damian@...> wrote:

                  > Jim,

                  > Do you have the book "Marines in the Revolution" by Charles Smith? There's a section on the state marines, including Maryland.

                  > Best,

                  > Damian Siekonic

                  > --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "gregsandor" <gregsandor@> wrote:

                  > > http://www.awiatsea.com/sn/MD/Baltimore%20Maryland%20Navy%20Galley%20%5bWalker%5d.html

                  > > Marines mentioned here.

                  > > --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "britmarinecapt" <britmarinecapt@> wrote:

                  > > > The fact that Maryland had marines is fairly well known. It is also well known that part of their issue included a blue frock, but they were also issued with a "short coat." Does anyone here have documentation on what color the coats were?

                  > > > Jim McGaughey

                • Damian Siekonic
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 10, 2012
                    Jim,