Battle of the Hook, Oct. 18-20 2013, Gloucester, VA

  • carlgnam1va
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 5, 2012
      At the combined British Brigade - Continental Line meeting last year the Battle of the Hook (Gloucester, VA), was presented as a Nation Event for October 18 - 20, 2013. The BAR has also sanctioned this as a National, "Big 3" event.

      This past Saturday a meeting was held at Warner Hall with the heads of the three umbrella groups, Bob Allegretto (Cont. Line), Mark Hurwitz, (BAR) and Michael Grenier (Brit. Brigade), to begin nailing down the details of the event.

      While details, and a realistic schedule, need to be resolved, plans for 2013 include the addition of more boats to expand the troop landings each day. We also are making a major effort to enlist more mounted troops -- according to Historian Bob Selig this was probably the largest cavalry engagement of the War.

      Besides the battle each afternoon, we plan to stage a storming of Redoubt 9 Saturday evening. Just as in 2008, we plan to have reasonably sized earthworks that can be fought on.

      Also like 2008, we expect to offer financial assistance to any groups who can organize a bus for travel to the event. We also expect to offer financial assistance to those bringing boats and horses.

      The event website will be available in the next couple of weeks, and will be expanded over the coming months. In the meantime, there is currently a Facebook page with photos from 2008, and other material: www.facebook.com/BattleOfTheHook

      I will post notices as we expand and update the information.

      Chip Gnam
      1 VA Regt.