Re: [Revlist] Washington Crossing the Hackensack

  • James Smith
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 15, 2012
      Good day gentlemen,

      I had some trouble with the link so this one should work:

      http://www.nj.com/bergen/index.ssf/2012/11/washington_crossed_the_hackensack_one_mans_path_retracing_the_continental_armys_nj_retreat.html

      This is a wonderful idea and even though Bergen County and much of NJ is
      quite developed today, many of the landmarks that Washington passed are
      still there. The Bergen County Historical has worked tirelessly to tell the
      story of one of these locations, the Zabriskie - Steuben House.

      http://www.bergencountyhistory.org/Pages/steubenhsehistory.html#anchor483832

      Thomas Paine goes as far as to mention the site in "the Crisis": *Our first
      object was to secure the bridge over the Hackensack, which laid up the
      river between the enemy and us, about six miles from us, and three from
      them.*
      *
      *
      Amazingly, you can still visit the house that witnessed this and experience
      some of the same vistas that Washington and his men experienced not only in
      1776, but during multiple engagements during the war.

      Very Respectful,

      Jim Smith
      Deputy Commander
      Outwater's Militia