The Campaign That Won America

  • John Koopman III
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 8, 2012
      Has anyone read "The Campaign That Won America, The Story of Yorktown" by Burke Davis? I was wondering whether it is good, bad, so so? Any thoughts are welcome.

      John Koopman
      2LD Talmadges Troop
    • ebolton123
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 9, 2012
        John,
        I read it. Good book...not earth shattering, but a good read. Only thing I can say is I think a couple campaigns previous to Yorktown could hold up as "The Campaign That(really)Won America"? I think by Yorktown the end was pretty much given?
        How about the Philadelphia Campaign? The mere fact that Washington's Army survived that and the ensueing winter at Valley Forge is testement that the British were going to have a real hard time, continuing the fight with a spirit like that, forever?
        Then certainly the Saratoga Campaign?
        But, it was an enjoyable read.
        Cheers,
        Bob Bolton

        --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "John Koopman III" <abishai_forhire@...> wrote:

        > Has anyone read "The Campaign That Won America, The Story of Yorktown" by Burke Davis? I was wondering whether it is good, bad, so so? Any thoughts are welcome.
        >
        > John Koopman
        > 2LD Talmadges Troop

      • John Koopman III
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 12, 2012
          Bob,

          Much appreciated.

          John

          --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "ebolton123" <ebolton123@...> wrote:

          > John,
          > I read it. Good book...not earth shattering, but a good read. Only thing I can say is I think a couple campaigns previous to Yorktown could hold up as "The Campaign That(really)Won America"? I think by Yorktown the end was pretty much given?
          > How about the Philadelphia Campaign? The mere fact that Washington's Army survived that and the ensueing winter at Valley Forge is testement that the British were going to have a real hard time, continuing the fight with a spirit like that, forever?
          > Then certainly the Saratoga Campaign?
          > But, it was an enjoyable read.
          > Cheers,
          > Bob Bolton
          >

          > --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "John Koopman III" <abishai_forhire@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Has anyone read "The Campaign That Won America, The Story of Yorktown" by Burke Davis? I was wondering whether it is good, bad, so so? Any thoughts are welcome.
          > >
          > > John Koopman
          > > 2LD Talmadges Troop

        • Jack Gardner
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 12, 2012
            According to many interpreters, America was exhausted and France bankrupt by
            1781. Washington and Rochambeau saw victory in 1781 as their last, desperate
            chance. One of the other very good books on the campaign by James Nelson is
            entitled George Washington's Great Gamble, which says it all. The Campaign
            that Won America is also very good. Personally, my favorite book on the
            Yorktown campaign is still Thomas Fleming's Beat the Last Drum.

            Which campaign was critical? Philadelphia? Saratoga? New York - what happens
            if we didn't get off Long Island? Greene vs. Cornwallis in the Carolinas?
            Yorktown? How about the siege of Gibraltar, the Caribbean and Bernardo de
            Galvez in the Mississippi Valley and Gulf Coast forcing the British to
            divert forces elsewhere in what became, by 1779, a world war? Why
            over-simplify a massive, fascinating, tremendously important whole? A
            century ago in Major Operations of the Navies in the War of American
            Independence, Adm. A. T. Mahan traced a direct line from the Stamp Act to
            the massive naval battles off India and Sri Lanka of the battered
            ships-of-the-line of Sir Edward Hughes and the Baillie de Suffren. Two books
            I personally recommend highly are Dupuy, Hammerman and Hayes, The American
            Revolution: A Global War; and Thomas Chavez, Spain and the Independence of
            the United States: An Intrinsic Gift.

            Enjoy reading!

            Jack Gardner

            _____

          • DelRev225th@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 12, 2012
              Thank you, Jack! We always enjoy reading the books you suggest. Ralph
              Burdick is currently reading the Chavez book and enjoying it very much.

              Our Dec 1 speaker will be Todd Andrlik presenting his new book "Reporting
              the Revolution," at 7:30 pm.

              Thanks for all you do,
              Kim

            • bvogler
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 12, 2012
                >>>Which campaign was critical? Philadelphia? Saratoga? New York - what
                happens
                if we didn't get off Long Island? Greene vs. Cornwallis in the Carolinas?
                Yorktown? How about the siege of Gibraltar, the Caribbean and Bernardo de
                Galvez in the Mississippi Valley and Gulf Coast forcing the British to
                divert forces elsewhere in what became, by 1779, a world war? Why
                over-simplify a massive, fascinating, tremendously important whole

                List-

                IMHO, it was not one critical campaign, but the cumulative effect of all the
                campaigns. In the end, Britain was worn down and tired of war which allowed
                war critics in Parliament to have stronger voices. It also speaks to the
                insight of Washington, Greene & others in recognizing that keeping the
                Continentals in the field (thusly the cause alive) was of prime importance
                in the quest for victory.

                And so it goes,

                Bob V.

              • Sgt42RHR@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 12, 2012
                  For a succinct account read the RevWar section of Barbara Tuchman's March
                  of Folly. The best encapsulation of the war I've seen.

                  J~

                  John M. Johnston
                  There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness. Dave Barry.

                • Helena Finnegan
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 17, 2012
                    Greetings,

                    Todd's book (Reporting the Revolutionary War) is an outstanding read & resource that I can personally & highly recommend to all fans & devotees of the Glorious Cause & America! You will enjoy hearing his presentation and be very impressed with this beautiful book rich in history & illustration.

                    I offer my review here & a resounding huzzah!

                    http://goo.gl/NmbIE

                    Thanks & Happy Thanksgiving to all,

                    Helena