Books

  • caltrop@aol.com
    Message 1 of 30 , Oct 6, 2012
      This is way, way out or era, but I know there are historians and bibliophiles on the Liste.

      I',m downsizing and want to dispose of quite a quantity of periodicals. There are long runs of the Journal of Army Historical Research, Military Collector and Historian and others including Victorian period and South African military history, which I will gladly detail for anyone who e-mails me off-site at hamorton@....

      Nominal prices plus freight, which is likely to be high although I can arrange collection or deliverywiti, say, 50 miles of Chadds Ford.

    • bvogler
      Message 2 of 30 , Jan 18, 2014

        List-

        I received two recent publications for Christmas and now have finished them both:

        __Following the Drum: Women at Valley Forge Encampment__ by Nancy K. Loane.

        I think Ms. Loane has written a very readable and well researched book.  The first segment deals with Martha Washington, Cathy Greene, Lucy Knox, and several other generals’ wives.  The second segment concerns women “of the common sort.”

        __George Washington ’s Secret Six: The Spy Ring that Saved the American Revolution__ by Brian Kilmeade & Don Yaeger is a very readable “popular” history.  It does use fictional dialogue to help tell the story, but it appears to be well researched; although, I  think some of its conclusions are a stretch and exaggerated. There are a few obvious mistakes such as confusing Richard Henry Lee with “Light Horse Harry” Henry Lee.

        It is a good read and I learned a number of facts about the Culper ring.

        Also, I have discovered that Amazon has for sale paperback copies of __The Journal & Order Book of Captain Robert Kirkwood of the Delaware Regiment of the Continental Line__.  The complete order book can be found on line, but some may want to own, such as myself, their own paper copy.

        And so it goes,

        Bob V.