Re: [Revlist] US Regiments in 1800-1801

  • Todd Post
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 30, 2012
      Bob,

      Try "The United States Army 1783-1811" by Jim Kochan (ISBN 1841760870)

      Cheers,
      Todd

      On Sep 30, 2012, at 9:37 PM, Bob Johnson wrote:

      > I am having a difficult time in learning about the four regiments of the US Army prior to the reduction to two regiments in 1802. Hopefully somebody out there knows where the four regiments were located and names of their commanders. I would have thought this info easy to find, but I guess I'm not looking in the right places or asking the right questions online.
      > Any help would be appreciated.
      >

      > Bob Johnson
    • Bob Johnson
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 1, 2012
        Thank you Todd. If its not not Amazon or ABEBOOKs at a cheap price, I'll try for an interlibrary loan.

        Bob Johnson

        Try "The United States Army 1783-1811" by Jim Kochan (ISBN 1841760870)

        Cheers,
        Todd

        On Sep 30, 2012, at 9:37 PM, Bob Johnson wrote:

        > I am having a difficult time in learning about the four regiments of the US Army prior to the reduction to two regiments in 1802. Hopefully somebody out there knows where the four regiments were located and names of their commanders. I would have thought this info easy to find, but I guess I'm not looking in the right places or asking the right questions online.
        > Any help would be appreciated.
        >

        > Bob Johnson

      • jseymour2321
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 1, 2012
          Hi Bob:

          You might also Powell's List of Officers of the United States:

          http://archive.org/stream/listofficers00powerich/listofficers00powerich_djvu.txt

          James Wilkinson was the ranking officer at the time, try searching his papers, also the American State Papers at loc.gov might help run down duty stations, and also try running a keyword search on the officers.

          You can also try this site:

          http://wardepartmentpapers.org/index.php

          Good luck!

          Joe Seymour
          Baltimore

          --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, Bob Johnson <bobjinpa@...> wrote:

          > Thank you Todd. If its not not Amazon or ABEBOOKs at a cheap price, I'll try for an interlibrary loan.
          >

          > Bob Johnson

        • ebolton123
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 1, 2012
            Bob,
            Go to 1812 Progressive. It's a Yahoo Groups site. Sure someone can get you the answer there.
            Cheers,
            Bob Bolton

            --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, Bob Johnson <bobjinpa@...> wrote:

            > I am having a difficult time in learning about the four regiments of the US Army prior to the reduction to two regiments in 1802. Hopefully somebody out there knows where the four regiments were located and names of their commanders. I would have thought this info easy to find, but I guess I'm not looking in the right places or asking the right questions online.
            > Any help would be appreciated.
            >

            > Bob Johnson

          • Steve
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 1, 2012
              Hi Bob,
              Try to find a book called "March to Massacre- A History Of The First Seven Years Of The United States Army" really good book. Bought mine at a library sale and it has a good deal of info. Good Hunting.
              Steve in RI

              --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "ebolton123" <ebolton123@...> wrote:

              > Bob,
              > Go to 1812 Progressive. It's a Yahoo Groups site. Sure someone can get you the answer there.
              > Cheers,
              > Bob Bolton
              >
              > --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, Bob Johnson <bobjinpa@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I am having a difficult time in learning about the four regiments of the US Army prior to the reduction to two regiments in 1802. Hopefully somebody out there knows where the four regiments were located and names of their commanders. I would have thought this info easy to find, but I guess I'm not looking in the right places or asking the right questions online.
              > > Any help would be appreciated.
              > >

              > > Bob Johnson

            • Bob Johnson
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 1, 2012
                Thank you; unfortunately the first seven years is too early for me. The Army forces were frequently reorganized and/or resized by the time 1800/1801 rolled around.

                Bob Johnson

                Hi Bob,
                Try to find a book called "March to Massacre- A History Of The First Seven Years Of The United States Army" really good book. Bought mine at a library sale and it has a good deal of info. Good Hunting.
                Steve in RI

                --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com , "ebolton123" <ebolton123@...> wrote:

                > Bob,
                > Go to 1812 Progressive. It's a Yahoo Groups site. Sure someone can get you the answer there.
                > Cheers,
                > Bob Bolton
                >
                > --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com , Bob Johnson <bobjinpa@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I am having a difficult time in learning about the four regiments of the US Army prior to the reduction to two regiments in 1802. Hopefully somebody out there knows where the four regiments were located and names of their commanders. I would have thought this info easy to find, but I guess I'm not looking in the right places or asking the right questions online.
                > > Any help would be appreciated.
                > >

                > > Bob Johnson

              • chinarichardmcguinness
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 2, 2012
                  Heitman's Historical Register and Dictionary of the US Army 1789-1903, Vol 1, starting on page 81 lists the officers by regiment, by year for the first four regiments.

                  American State Papers at the LOC website under "American Memory: A Century of Lawmaking, Vol 5: Military Affairs p. 155 includes a return of the army at December 19, 1801 (at the brink of Jeffersons contraction of the Army and purge of the Federalists). Page 156 includes the posts and garrisons that would need to be manned by the new army of only two regiments. Presumably the four regiments were manning these posts at the time.

                  William L Otten Jr. has completed two volumes of a trilogy on Colonel J F Hamtramck, His Life and Times. The first two Volumes cover 1756 to 1791. Volume three will cover 1791 to 1803. Hamtramck commanded the First Regiment from 1792 to 1802. Otten's books are excellently researched, well documented with lots of tables, lists and lots of information a researcher could use on the regiments touched by Hamtramck. Vol 2 was published in 2003 and I expect Vol 3 should be out soon.

                  Of course the National Archives has much material on this time period, some microfilmed but most is not.

                  Hope this helps.

                  Rich McGuinness
                  5th New York

                  --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, Bob Johnson <bobjinpa@...> wrote:

                  > I am having a difficult time in learning about the four regiments of the US Army prior to the reduction to two regiments in 1802. Hopefully somebody out there knows where the four regiments were located and names of their commanders. I would have thought this info easy to find, but I guess I'm not looking in the right places or asking the right questions online.
                  > Any help would be appreciated.
                  >

                  > Bob Johnson

                • Glenn Williams
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 2, 2012
                    Bob,

                    You can also try Crackle's _Jefferson's Army_ (I believe that's the title).  I agree, _March to Massacre_ does a good resource, except you can tell a lawyer wrote it (joking).

                    It was four regiments of infantry, one of artillerists and engineers, and two companies of dragoons.  None of them at "establishment" strength.  I would venture all were on the western frontier, except those companies of the artillerists and engineers who may have been on the coast.  Write to me at work off-list at glenn.f.williams.civ@...  I work at the US Army Center of Military History, and did some research on this a few years ago.  I'll see if I can retrieve my notes.

                    The four regiments had been the "sub-legions" under Wayne at Fallen Timbers, in 1794 but @ 1797 were reconfigured back into the traditional regimental organizations.  In Jefferson's "Peace Establishment" of 1802, they were reduced to two regiments of infantry and one of artillery (all in frontier garrisons).

                    Before the Legion, they were four standard regiments of regulars, with the 3d and 4th having been reconstituted from the two regiments of levies raised in 1791 for St. Clair's expedition.

                    The two dragoon companies were dismounted, converted to infantry and reorganized in one company, and posted to a garrison in Tennessee.  The reduction was really mostly on paper, and didn't reduce the number of soldiers actually in the ranks, as much as it forced out a number of serving officers, giving Jefferson the opportunity to "purge" the officer corps of federalist-leaning men.

                    Best Regards,

                    Glenn