Re: Did Washington really say it?

  • William
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 4, 2012
      Acting on the tip in Bell's blog, I combed through Benson Lossing's writings and found a slightly earlier publication than the Kalamazoo newspaper or the later works by Lossing which altered the story from the earlier version; clearly, the newspaper copied Lossing, not the other way around, since it predates it by a few weeks:

      The Poughkeepsie Casket (edited by Benson Lossing) September 22, 1838, p. 94, ad verbatim and listed under "Anonymous":

      http://books.google.com/books?id=91QAAAAAYAAJ&lpg=PA94&ots=seG8tm9DOr&dq=huzza%20inauthor%3ALossing&pg=PA94#v=onepage&q&f=false

      Bell's Blog:

      http://boston1775.blogspot.com/2012/09/did-washington-say-let-history-huzzah.html

      I have an upcoming book (by The History Press) which shows a similarly famous story told by Lossing, following its origins and subsequent evolution. He had a habit of gleaning from various sources without attribution, so one is stuck with no other clue than the differences in language (as Bell has stated). Trying to determine who copied who is next to impossible, other than the chronology of publication.

      The timing (1838) might point to the story appearing in a pension application. That might be the best place to search for an origin.

      ~ William Myers, independent historian.