Re: [Revlist] Re: More from Hackensack

  • James Smith
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 31, 2012
      More from Dohla...

      March 23, 1780

      At daybreak we again marched out of Hackensack. We wished to proceed two
      miles further to Pollingtown, a small city where we hoped to capture a
      rebel command of two hundred men. However, because we were betrayed by
      spies and the rebels came against us from all sides, we had to begin the
      return march. They would have taken all of us prisoners, because they were
      five to six times stronger than we were, if Colonel Emmerich of the English
      had not joined us with four hundred light infantry and jaegers. On the
      previous day they had been transferred across the North River beyond Kings
      bridge and were have supported us during the attack on Pollingtown. Colonel
      Emmerich covered our flank as soon as he joined us, and we slowly pulled
      back under a steady fire, which last more than six hours. During this time
      we threw away or discarded most of our furniture booty. At eight o'clock in
      the evening we again arrived at New York, after the enemy had followed us
      to the water of the North River. From this expedition, we had dead three
      Scots, eleven English and Hessians, and Private Bar, of our regiment, made
      prisoner. On this day my life was exposed to many hundreds of bullets...

      Another great excerpt, as Dohla discusses the chaos and running nature of
      the battle that occurred. He then goes on to describe some of the items he
      had taken including silver pock watches, spoons, silk fabrics and mattress
      covers of fine linen.

      Very Respectful,

      Jim S
      Outwater's Militia

      On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 11:37 AM, Richard Patterson
      <barracks@...>wrote:

      > **
      >

      > "This village wasattacked and all houses were immediately broken into and
      > everything ruined;
      > doors, windows, boxes, and chests, everything lumped together and
      > plundered. All the males were taken prisoners, and the townhall and some
      > other splendid buildings were set on fire. We took considerable booty,
      > money, silver, pocket watches, silver plater and spoons, as well as
      > furniture, good clothing, fine English linen, good silk stockings, gloves
      > and neckcloths, as well as other expensive silks, satins, and other
      > materials."
      >
      > Dohla then went on to say: "We then renamed it "Newark'"
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Rich Patterson

    • TOM QUINN
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2012
        I grew up in Cresskill and spent my childhood exploring the woods , swamps
        and creeks around Bergen County. As I got older and could drive I cruised
        many back roads (there were some then) and went all over Bergen County on
        my motorcycle. I never had any inkling that the area was so heavily
        involved in the war. I thank you for posting these excerpts.
        I feel so cheated that growing up here we were never told of the history of
        our very own neighborhoods.
        Most respectfully,
        Thomas Quinn