Re: [Revlist] Re: Wanted to Buy: Highland Dirk

  • swzypher@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 27, 2012
      In a message dated 8/27/2012 9:53:41 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
      konstantin202@... writes:

      Is It This One?
      Nay - neither of those but more like the second one with the little knife
      and fork but without the carved handle which I understand is more for a
      later period. These I have are made in India and Indian cutlers work much
      cheaper than those in U.K. India is where much British cutlery was made
      during their occupation of the country. The metals of today are pretty much
      standard (1080 - 1095 - etc) so what is available in the U.S. is available to
      the Brits, Indians, Pakistani, etc.. I carry a lot of Indian knives in
      early styles and like them because of the way they are made. In India even
      the government contracts for cutlery (Ghurka knives, swords etc.) are made by
      hand . . . drop hammers? probably but the finish is not surface ground
      like knives today. You can see the very sleight irregularities that are a
      consequence of the hammer pounding/forging, just like the knives of 200 - 300
      years ago. In otherwords: good metal and historic appearance. They may
      have some sleight detectable imprefections (not flaws) but I noticed in
      displays of early edged weapons in the Detroit museum they were not royal
      presentation pieces - they were made to be working pieces . . . tangs peened on -
      not threaded, etc.. The dirks I have are not this coarse, they have
      threaded tangs and can be disassembled just like those magmificent daggars
      Hitler had made for the SS and others.

      I am leaving for a week starting in the morning, for a week to set up at
      the big Rendezvous at Fort Bridger, Wyomng. By the time I get back, if you
      think you want such a dirk, I can mail it to you for 75 bucks total. Don't
      know what else to tell you except I have sold these before - always to
      Scott re-enactors - and they were all very pleased with them. We have a number
      of Scotts here in Utah and around from the early migrations here of Mormon
      converts in great numbers from the British Isles (many from Scandanavia at
      the same time). I have a friend who is the grand Poo Bah of the MacDonald
      clan for the Rocky mountain regions from the Canadian to the Mexican
      border. Quite a show when they have their gatherings with pipes, chucking those
      big logs, eating haggis(?) and drum groups. Do you run with such as these
      to spark your interest in dirks?

      Good be ye
      Richard James