Civil War registry help

  • rocksmart
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30 9:07 AM
      I am doing genealogical research and have found some unknown information on an ancestor.
      I'm wondering if any of you could decipher this text for me.I realize this would be the Civil War, but I'm needing help with the military lingo, namely in the second paragraph below.

      From
      'Historical Register and Dictionary of the United States Army, from Its Organization, September 29,1789 to March 2, 1903 Volume 1 , Francis Bernard Heitman

      Robinson, John Milton. Ohio. Ohio. Asst surg vols 11 Sept 1862; surg vols 19 Feb 1863; dismd 6 Jan 1865; surg vols 12 June 1865; hon must out 31 July 1865.

      Thanks for any help,
      Roxy
    • gregsandor
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 30 11:01 AM
        You'll need to verify this, and probably can through a simple google search. Find the original book through interlibrary loan and look in it for a glossary or explanation of abbreviations but in the short time I have now I'll give it a shot:

        > Robinson, John Milton. Ohio. Ohio. Asst surg vols 11 Sept 1862; surg vols 19 Feb 1863; dismd 6 Jan 1865; surg vols 12 June 1865; hon must out 31 July 1865.

        John Milton Robinson
        Ohio
        Assistant surgeon volunteer(s?) September 11 1862;
        surgeon volunteer(s?) February 19 1863, dismissed January 6 1865;
        surgeon volunteer(s?) June 12 1865;
        Honorably mustered out July 31 1865

        Greg

        --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "rocksmart" <MissRoxy@...> wrote:

        > I am doing genealogical research and have found some unknown information on an ancestor.
        > I'm wondering if any of you could decipher this text for me.I realize this would be the Civil War, but I'm needing help with the military lingo, namely in the second paragraph below.
        >
        > From
        > 'Historical Register and Dictionary of the United States Army, from Its Organization, September 29,1789 to March 2, 1903 Volume 1 , Francis Bernard Heitman
        >
        > Robinson, John Milton. Ohio. Ohio. Asst surg vols 11 Sept 1862; surg vols 19 Feb 1863; dismd 6 Jan 1865; surg vols 12 June 1865; hon must out 31 July 1865.
        >

        > Thanks for any help,
        > Roxy

      • Paul Loane
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 30 11:50 AM
          Hello Roxy...

          The Civil War database gives essentially the same information on
          your ancestor shown in Heitman:

          John Milton Robinson: Residence was not listed; Enlisted on
          9/11/1862 as an Asst Surgeon.
          On 9/11/1862 he was commissioned into
          <http://www.civilwardata.com/active/hdsquery.dll?RegimentAssignment?3735&U>
          US Volunteers Medical Staff Vols. He was dismissed on 1/6/1865
          On 6/12/1865 he was commissioned into
          <http://www.civilwardata.com/active/hdsquery.dll?RegimentAssignment?3735&U>
          US Volunteers Medical Staff Vols. He was Mustered Out on 7/31/1865
          Promotions: Surgeon 2/19/1863
          Other Information: born in Ohio

          He did not have service in one of the Ohio volunteer units
          but can't tell from this exactly where he served (probably a government
          hospital) nor why there was the "dismissal" and then re-commissioning at the
          end of his career. Your best chance for more information is to send away for
          his service and pension records. Good luck!

          ..Paul Loane

          I am doing genealogical research and have found some unknown information on
          an ancestor.
          I'm wondering if any of you could decipher this text for me.I realize this
          would be the Civil War, but I'm needing help with the military lingo, namely
          in the second paragraph below.

          From
          'Historical Register and Dictionary of the United States Army, from Its
          Organization, September 29,1789 to March 2, 1903 Volume 1 , Francis Bernard
          Heitman

          Robinson, John Milton. Ohio. Ohio. Asst surg vols 11 Sept 1862; surg vols 19
          Feb 1863; dismd 6 Jan 1865; surg vols 12 June 1865; hon must out 31 July
          1865.

          Thanks for any help,
          Roxy

        • Dr. Larry A. Maxwell
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 15, 2013
            I need the phone number or a call from Hugh or Dixie Francis ASAP
            Thank You
            Larry Maxwell 4th NY
            845-878-4160