Great Deal on Snuggies

  • Greg
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 29, 2012
      Guaranteed to keep you warm on those cold nights in your tent, we are now offering for sale genuine fleece Snuggies! They come in the colors of Continental (well, the continent is Asia, but it's close enough, isn't it?) Blue, "Whatsa Madder with This?" Red, and, if you close your left eye and squint real hard with your right, a beautiful Beige which looks just like the buff the 40th Foot wears, but only on every third Thursday of each month.

      These soon to be heirlooms look just like blankets when they're laid on the ground, and, if you wear them backwards, they work perfectly as Banyans! I guarantee you cannot tell them apart from 100% woven wool blankets from a distance of 25 yards, particularly if you're half blind after hitting your head against the wall from years of reading posts made on the internet!

      Now, before anyone gets mad at me, it seems it's ok to post stuff for sale that's "good enough" (a.k.a. "Wrong"), or more comfortable than what you should be using, so I figured, why not?? My uncle Vinnie has a slew of these things left over since they were real popular at Christmas 4 years ago.

      Of course, before Todd and Thad chime in, I refuse to sell the ones Uncle Vinnie has in the Zebra or Leopard prints, I do have my principles after all...

      Oh, if you order now, and within the next 30 minutes, We'll double your order and throw in a free Sham-Wow as well! Get 'em before they go!!!!!!!!!
    • TONY HOLBROOK
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 29, 2012
        Good one Greg. I too am astounded at how our heritage is cheapened by someone trying to save a couple bucks. Those men and women that sacrificed their lives deserve better. When our knowledge is enlightened to a fact in history we should make every effort to portray it to the fullest extent. Thanks to those that provide us with truthful knowledge and research to make us better reenactors.
                                                                                                                                                                                 Tony

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 29, 2012
          Do you have any in poca dots?   We are looking for red on green dots as is our regimental new desighned snuggy warent....  (we met and desided if they would have had them they would have used them)    ....

          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 29, 2012
            Sorry , snuggies are only good for ACW
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vczvjoyho7Q
            Chris
            From: Greg <gstheberge@...>

            To: Revlist@yahoogroups.com

            Date: Wednesday, February 29, 2012, 10:17 AM

          • fiero88gt2002@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 29, 2012
              Shouldn't be allowed
              Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

              From: matt vincett <mattvincett@...>
              To: Revlist@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Wednesday, February 29, 2012, 10:58 AM

              From: Greg <gstheberge@...>

              To: Revlist@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 29, 2012
                a acw hmmmm   well then
                mabe Rendezvous!!!!!!!!

                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 29, 2012
                  Could I just confirm from the shores of perfidious Albion
                  that 'Snuggies' are not the same as 'Huggies'?
                • TONY HOLBROOK
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 29, 2012
                    Depends

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 29, 2012
                      nice when drinking beer and dont want to walk to the woodline....

                      Could I just confirm from the shores of perfidious Albion
                      that 'Snuggies' are not the same as 'Huggies'?

                    • Timothy Abbott
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 29, 2012
                        Surprisingly, there is only one documented reference in an orderly book in our
                        period for enlisted men to be wrapped in cloth, even though they tend to rust
                        and become tasteless otherwise.

                        We have many more references to the men turning out unsnugged, as it were, with
                        only their arms and rations. Ergo, they were obviously a) Adamites or b)
                        wearing Snuggies.

                        Count me in for a nice paisley fleece one, Greg.

                        (Tongue well in cheek)
                        Tim Abbott

                        ________________________________
                        nice when drinking beer and dont want to walk to the woodline....

                        Could I just confirm from the shores of perfidious Albion
                        that 'Snuggies' are not the same as 'Huggies'?

                      • Paul Loane
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 29, 2012
                          An original orderly book in the Public Records Office dated June 1777 through April 1778 indicates that the 43rd of Foot did not have “wrapped” tin canteens but instead inserted them IN their Snuggies. Color not noted but we can assume they were red with white lining to match the regimental facings.

                          …..P Loane

                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 29, 2012
                            Yes I agree as was the practice to use the old worn out regimentals for such endevors!

                            An original orderly book in the Public Records Office dated June 1777 through April 1778 indicates that the 43rd of Foot did not have “wrapped” tin canteens but instead inserted them IN their Snuggies. Color not noted but we can assume they were red with white lining to match the regimental facings.

                            …..P Loane

                            nice when drinking beer and dont want to walk to the woodline....

                            Could I just confirm from the shores of perfidious Albion
                            that 'Snuggies' are not the same as 'Huggies'?

                          • barontigranes
                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 29, 2012
                              Good day,

                              There are as many motivations for what we all do as there are participants in this hobby/activity, and it doesn't necessarily cheapen our heritage if some do not share the same motivations, or aspire to the same levels of achievement.

                              If you really want to think about how the whole reenacting phemonmenon would be perceived by those who lived the period, my personal feeling is that they would consider the whole enterprise laughable at best, and insulting at worst, no matter how authentic it is done. My late brother-in-law, a Navy WWII vet, was highly offended by the attempts to reenact that time. And these are reenactors who frequently have original period equipment, not reproduction.

                              So to me it seems a little silly to get so heated over a subject like tin vs stainless canteens. Now, don't go hyperbolic and start talking about plastic, etc. The topic could have been much more productive if the virtues of good tin were listed, ways to improve the appearance of SS, and leave it at that. There are many items that could substituted for tin vs. stainless and result in the same discussion. It is not always reasonable to point out that something is inappropriate and expect everyone to just toe the line. Again, different motivations.

                              It just seemed like a major pile-on on a person who just thought he was trying to pass along a bargain. Lesson learned: try to be helpful, get you head handed to you.

                              Yours,

                              Tim Button

                              --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, TONY HOLBROOK <tituscanbyratcatcher@...> wrote:

                              > Good one Greg. I too am astounded at how our heritage is cheapened by someone trying to save a couple bucks. Those men and women that sacrificed their lives deserve better. When our knowledge is enlightened to a fact in history we should make every effort to portray it to the fullest extent.
                            • Andrew Watson Kirk
                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 1, 2012
                                While I would not venture to speak for Greg Theberge, or others, I think the crux of the matter is avalibilty of unquestionably more authentic items vs. avalibility of items with questionable and/or outright incorrect items at roughly the same cost.

                                It's true that some steel wool or scotch pad can dull the finish on a stainless canteen, but with the newer avalibilty of authentic hot dipped tin (and as affordable)may in some eyes make buying the steel one anathema.

                                I do see the justification where some items such as a rifle shoppe musket, or Kochan-Phillips clothing might be cost prohibitive to many, and in some ways might lead to further decline among the numbers seen in the hobby. That particular branch of thinking isn't really relevant in my point, but worth noting.

                                What is scary is when reenactors choose to purchase something known to be inauthentic, often at greater price, than a more authentic piece.

                                I am wondering what roles parent and unit organizations can have in changing known "farb" practices. We've had discussion in our own unit with research showing that one of our original units carried a certain item that many of us don't have. Did the leadership ban the alternative? no but with the research in mind we're making a transistion that'll take time as people improve.

                                Andrew Kirk
                                43d Regt of Foot & 2d Pennsylvania Regt.

                                Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "barontigranes" <tigranes@...> wrote:

                                > Good day,
                                >
                                > There are as many motivations for what we all do as there are participants in this hobby/activity, and it doesn't necessarily cheapen our heritage if some do not share the same motivations, or aspire to the same levels of achievement.
                                >
                                > If you really want to think about how the whole reenacting phemonmenon would be perceived by those who lived the period, my personal feeling is that they would consider the whole enterprise laughable at best, and insulting at worst, no matter how authentic it is done. My late brother-in-law, a Navy WWII vet, was highly offended by the attempts to reenact that time. And these are reenactors who frequently have original period equipment, not reproduction.
                                >
                                > So to me it seems a little silly to get so heated over a subject like tin vs stainless canteens. Now, don't go hyperbolic and start talking about plastic, etc. The topic could have been much more productive if the virtues of good tin were listed, ways to improve the appearance of SS, and leave it at that. There are many items that could substituted for tin vs. stainless and result in the same discussion. It is not always reasonable to point out that something is inappropriate and expect everyone to just toe the line. Again, different motivations.
                                >
                                > It just seemed like a major pile-on on a person who just thought he was trying to pass along a bargain. Lesson learned: try to be helpful, get you head handed to you.
                                >
                                > Yours,
                                >
                                > Tim Button
                                >

                                > --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, TONY HOLBROOK <tituscanbyratcatcher@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Good one Greg. I too am astounded at how our heritage is cheapened by someone trying to save a couple bucks. Those men and women that sacrificed their lives deserve better. When our knowledge is enlightened to a fact in history we should make every effort to portray it to the fullest extent.

                              • John M. Johnston
                                Message 15 of 16 , Mar 1, 2012
                                  Units should play a primary role. Units can educate members, provide information about proper items and sources for those items, can assist in how/how not to make items, support bulk purchases, and so on.

                                  Cheers
                                  John

                                  There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness.

                                  On Mar 1, 2012, at 9:05 AM, "Andrew Watson Kirk" <awkirk243@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                  > >
                                  > > It just seemed like a major pile-on on a person who just thought he was trying to pass along a bargain. Lesson learned: try to be helpful, get you head handed to you.
                                  > >
                                  > > Yours,
                                  > >
                                  > > Tim Button
                                  > >

                                  > > --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, TONY HOLBROOK <tituscanbyratcatcher@> wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Good one Greg. I too am astounded at how our heritage is cheapened by someone trying to save a couple bucks. Those men and women that sacrificed their lives deserve better. When our knowledge is enlightened to a fact in history we should make every effort to portray it to the fullest extent.

                                • gcobrien
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Mar 1, 2012
                                    There are indeed many motivations for participating in this hobby and unfortunately, authenticity does not always appear to be at the top of the priorities list. While the original poster may have had good intentions in passing along a good deal to friends, there is a broader picture that is getting obscured if we focus on saving a few bucks. Like it or not, when we choose to wear period clothing in public we lead by example. The question is in which direction; toward one that does justice to our heritage, people and time period or toward comedy. The choice is always ours to make and I am reminded of this every time I see someone wearing tinted lenses in the field. Some habits will always make us look bad and act as a disincentive to those who participate. We (and myself included) can do better in our own impressions that we demonstrate in the public eye and self-awareness is the key. It is definitely in our best interest to inspire rather than flame and to avoid characterizing awareness of these issues as silly. As a result of this thread, several links to sources for authentic hot-dipped tin have been posted and the questionable nature of wool-wrapped canteens has been made known(news to me)--those are certainly some good things to come out of all of this. The message is valid, we just need to tweak the delivery for the sake of family.
                                    Respectfully,
                                    Gary O'Brien
                                    1VA Rgt.