Re: [Revlist] Re: Great Deal on Stainless Steel Canteens

  • avalonforge
    Message 1 of 44 , Feb 29 6:10 AM
      Bob

      Some years ago this subject was discussed at length. As I recall, the
      single documented mention of cloth to cover canteens is from the French
      & Indian War period.

      John White
      Avalon Forge
      Baltimore
      "Replicas for 18th Century Living History"
      http://www.avalonforge.com

      On 2/28/2012 7:07 PM, ebolton123 wrote:

      > John,
      > I've seen that done. But I never saw any documentation for that being
      > done during the period. Does anyone have any docu? I would be interested.
      > Cheers,
      > Bob Bolton
      > Pa. Associators
      >
      > --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Revlist%40yahoogroups.com>,
      > John Navarro <jlnjake@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Cover your ss canteen with fabric
      > >
      > > John
      > >
      > > Sent from my iPhone
      > >
      > > On Feb 28, 2012, at 4:56 PM, "William" <modmoradi@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > > Very true! I wasn't aware of that tinsmith... Excellent prices on
      > those too! I realize that tin with pitch is actually period, but I'm
      > sure there are people (like me) who would prefer a cleaner alternative
      > to drink from. If you spot my stainless canteen on the field, you are
      > free to mock my farbiness..!
      > > > Cheers!
      > > > William
      > > >
      > > > --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Revlist%40yahoogroups.com>,

      > tin canteen if you need to from Carl Giorando.

      > for $40 shipped... (I think Godwin's are $62+shipping). They have 7 on
      > hand, and can order more. I'm not affiliated with the seller in any
      > way, just thought I'd pass on a good deal!
      > > > > >
      > http://www.ebay.com/itm/320857402106?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
      > <http://www.ebay.com/itm/320857402106?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649>

    • ebolton123
      Message 44 of 44 , Mar 4, 2012
        Shay,
        I'm not sure if your asking me something here? My note indicated that I did'nt know of any docu for copper canteens, even though I see many being carried and sold.
        Cheers,
        Bob Bolton
        Pa. Associators