Re: Grenadier Battalions

  • Alexander John Good
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 1, 2011
      List,

      Does anyone have an image/scan of this Monmouth
      colour that they can post here, or email to me? I'd
      like to see it, and unfortunately don't have this book
      book on Rev War colours.

      Thanks!

      Alex,
      2d/71st

      --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, BFinfr8265@... wrote:

      > Paul:
      >
      > In the book "Standards and Colors of the American Revolution," there is a
      > color referred to as the "Monmouth Color." Edward Richardson, the author and
      > compiler, mentions that the color was not a British color, but an American
      > color. Although stained with the blood of Lt. Col. Monckton, 45th Regiment of
      > Foot, the color is missing the unit designation in the center. Furthermore,
      > the canton is inset, and official British colors did not have an inset
      > canton. Finally, Richardson mentions that the use of figured silk and the
      > relative proportions of the crosses and "the very wide white edging to Saint
      > George's cross are not correct for an official British flag."
      >
      > Does anyone agree with his statements or is he on the mark with this? I have
      > spoken to a representative of the Friends of the Monmouth Battlefield and
      > they concur that the color, although believed British for many years, is an
      > American color perhaps belonging to the First Pennsylvania Regiment.
      >
      > Pauls, thanks for your input and let's keep searching.
      >
      > Brad

    • Neal Hurst
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 1, 2011
        Alex

        A friend of mine from CWF studied this flag last year.  Looking at the notes im of the opinion that it is an American Standard rather then British, even though the history claims it to be English....

        Neal

        ________________________________

      • xxiipc@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 1, 2011
          In a message dated 12/1/2011 6:04:33 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          Myrmiddon@... writes:

          Does anyone have an image/scan of this Monmouth
          colour that they can post here, or email to me? I'd
          like to see it, and unfortunately don't have this book
          book on Rev War colours.

          Alex:

          Don Holst had a article published in the Military Collector and Historian,
          the journal of the Company of Military Historians, on that color. It was in
          a late 1960s issue. There was a black and white photo with the article.
          I'll look through my back issues and send you a copy.

          Tim Terrell
          Invalid Coy
          First Battn. of Penna. Loyalists
          '