Re: Tents - usage or Not

  • gourdidol
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 24, 2011
      Just to add to this - it wasn't just the Southern Campaign that saw the Brits without tents.

      For a large portion of the Philadelphia and associated campaigns, from 1776-1779, which constitute the *largest* masses of British troops at ANY point in the war, it was quite common for the troops to either make wigwams, or bivouack, or take shelter in barns/houses for the night. In fact, at least for the 40th Regt (not the LI company), which I am most familiar with, after they started the Philly campaign it's actually rare to see a mention of tents - it's mostly all wigwams, even for just a night or two at a time. This seems to be well-corroborated in other OBs from other regts, too.

      Imagine how much clear-cutting that lead to.

      cheers,
      Niels Hobbs
      40th