Re: 1780 - A General Dictionary of the English Language

  • gourdidol
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 3, 2010
      Yeah, the "2" (which keys for a sharp "a", as in hAte) above that second "a" in Huzza is definitely not super-clear in the online version, even when zoomed in, but it is very clear if you can access an actual printed copy. My university library has one, and it's likely that other large libraries may as well.

      It's definitely HuzzaY.

      --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "Michelle" <mich9118@...> wrote:

      > I'm reading that second A as one in the word "hall." Not "hate."
      >
      > Michelle
      >

      > --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "gourdidol" <hamavos.niels@> wrote:
      > >
      > > This is a great resource to have on line - Thanks very much!
      > >
      > > Sadly, I'm sure the percentage of re-inactors (sic) who cheer (and write) "HuzzaH" instead of "huzzaY" will likely only drop by a few percentage points from, say, 98% to roughly 95 or 96%...
      > >
      > > But, at least I'll feel even more smug doing it the correct way.
      > > ;)
      > >
      > > Thanks!
      > > Niels

    • Michelle Ligon
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 3, 2010
        I'm thinking it's a little 3.

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 3, 2010
          I viewed the new image, and I'm thinking it's a little 2.  lol

          Thank you ~

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 3, 2010
            Nope, its a number 2. You can even see it in the zoomed version I just posted as a file here. It shows as a 2 in each pronunciation of HUZZA. You need o look at it in the Adobe PDF viewer that lets you zoom in much better than the online version in Google. The online version is searchable, whereas the PDF is not (Google rules you can read on the first page of the PDF).

            I could also upload a zoomed version of the legend too if you like.

            Link to zoomed image:

            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 3, 2010
              I uploaded a zoomed legend as well showing the "2" pronounced as the "a" in "hAte".

              --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "bcortez98_2" <bcortez98_2@...> wrote:

              > Nope, its a number 2. You can even see it in the zoomed version I just posted as a file here. It shows as a 2 in each pronunciation of HUZZA. You need o look at it in the Adobe PDF viewer that lets you zoom in much better than the online version in Google. The online version is searchable, whereas the PDF is not (Google rules you can read on the first page of the PDF).
              >
              > I could also upload a zoomed version of the legend too if you like.
              >
              > Link to zoomed image:
              >

              > --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, Michelle Ligon <mich9118@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I'm thinking it's a little 3.

            • mike
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 5, 2010
                Indeed, Sheridan's dictionary says to pronounce "huzza" with a long "a." However, here are a couple thoughts regarding word pronunciation.

                1)This dictionary comes from England and makes no accounting of regional dialect. It is quite possible areas of North America pronounced words quite differently. Maybe Bostonians, for example, used a soft "a" (that sound is quite common in today's speech from that area). After all, the colonies had had nearly two centuries to develop their own ways of speaking.

                B)Sheridan says to pronounce "tackle" with a soft "a." However, mariners pronounced it "taickle." In addition to seeing it written "tay...," Falconer's dictionary directly says to pronounce it "taicle."

                Anyways, my point is that we have to be careful about applying universals to anything in history--including words. Sheridan is good for London in 1780 (although I'm sure differences could have been heard just around town let alone in other parts of England) but, as heard on ships, his way ain't the only way.

                Thus endeth the sermon. Amen.

                Mike Barbieri
                Whitcomb's Corps