Re: 1780 - A General Dictionary of the English Language

  • Pastor Rob
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 1, 2010
      I believe that that's the same Thomas Sheridan who wrote the first English Grammar book in something like 1767 (?) It's been a long time since "History of the English Language"
      Rob Weaver, Lochry's Militia Volunteers
      --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "bcortez98_2" <bcortez98_2@...> wrote:

      > Dearest RevWar Enthusiasts,
      >
      > This thread is not meant to start any flame wars, etc.... only to share a finding I made recently on Google books. It's an actual phonetic dictionary of the English language c.1780. In light of the recent discussions over the proper pronunciation of words (such as the old huzzah vs. huzzay debate) I thought I'd share this find with the wider community. Some might already have found this, but for those that have not, you can download the full copy as a PDF and view it that way (I use my Kindle which allows me to zoom in to see the details).
      >
      > 1780 - A General Dictionary of the English Language ( Thomas Sheridan)
      > http://books.google.com/books?id=mCY-AAAAcAAJ&dq=english%20language&pg=PT13#v=onepage&q&f=false
      >

      > In this book, the listed pronunciation of that word is "huzzay". The proper spelling is actually HUZZA. The final syllable is pronounced as a 'second a', like the word 'hate' (see the pronunciation rules early on in the book).
      >
      > Discuss............... :)

    • Glenn Williams
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 1, 2010
        Thank you so much for posting the link.  One of my many pet-peeves is the proper
        pronunciation of the word "shortlived," for example.

        It is not only valuable for the pronunciation guide.  As I caution many amateur
        historians and history enthusiasts engaged in doing primary source research, or
        just for properly interpreting quotations, you also have to mind the 18th
        century usage of some words, and not rely on what we understand them to mean in
        the 21st century (or another era).  Just for some examples take a look at the
        18th usage of words like:  "congress" and "deputy"; the alternate definition of
        "admiral"; the difference between the naval rank and artilleryman's position of
        "gunner" (too often misused interchangeably); likewise, what the word "battery"
        meant to an 18th century artilleryman - as opposed to its common
        meaning since the Civil War era; and the definition of "arbitrary" with regard
        to governments or laws; just to name a few.  A resource like this is invaluable
        for that.

        I keep a reprint of a contemporary dictionary on my desk at home, but this link
        allows access from anywhere!  Thanks again.

        Best Regards,

        Glenn

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 1, 2010
          This is a great resource to have on line - Thanks very much!

          Sadly, I'm sure the percentage of re-inactors (sic) who cheer (and write) "HuzzaH" instead of "huzzaY" will likely only drop by a few percentage points from, say, 98% to roughly 95 or 96%...

          But, at least I'll feel even more smug doing it the correct way.
          ;)

          Thanks!
          Niels

          --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "bcortez98_2" <bcortez98_2@...> wrote:

          > Dearest RevWar Enthusiasts,
          >
          > This thread is not meant to start any flame wars, etc.... only to share a finding I made recently on Google books. It's an actual phonetic dictionary of the English language c.1780. In light of the recent discussions over the proper pronunciation of words (such as the old huzzah vs. huzzay debate) I thought I'd share this find with the wider community. Some might already have found this, but for those that have not, you can download the full copy as a PDF and view it that way (I use my Kindle which allows me to zoom in to see the details).
          >
          > 1780 - A General Dictionary of the English Language ( Thomas Sheridan)
          > http://books.google.com/books?id=mCY-AAAAcAAJ&dq=english%20language&pg=PT13#v=onepage&q&f=false
          >

          > In this book, the listed pronunciation of that word is "huzzay". The proper spelling is actually HUZZA. The final syllable is pronounced as a 'second a', like the word 'hate' (see the pronunciation rules early on in the book).
          >
          > Discuss............... :)

        • Michelle
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 3, 2010
            I'm reading that second A as one in the word "hall." Not "hate."

            Michelle

            --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "gourdidol" <hamavos.niels@...> wrote:

            > This is a great resource to have on line - Thanks very much!
            >
            > Sadly, I'm sure the percentage of re-inactors (sic) who cheer (and write) "HuzzaH" instead of "huzzaY" will likely only drop by a few percentage points from, say, 98% to roughly 95 or 96%...
            >
            > But, at least I'll feel even more smug doing it the correct way.
            > ;)
            >
            > Thanks!
            > Niels

          • bcortez98_2
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 3, 2010
              It's a little 2 above the "a". that is a second-a, and if you look earlier in the book, i has a phonetic legend showing the second-a pronounced as in the word "hate".

              You have to zoom into it to see it. I'll upload a zoomed screen-shot of it to this groups file section right now for everyone's benefit.

              --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "Michelle" <mich9118@...> wrote:

              > I'm reading that second A as one in the word "hall." Not "hate."
              >
              > Michelle
              >

              > --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "gourdidol" <hamavos.niels@> wrote:
              > >
              > > This is a great resource to have on line - Thanks very much!
              > >
              > > Sadly, I'm sure the percentage of re-inactors (sic) who cheer (and write) "HuzzaH" instead of "huzzaY" will likely only drop by a few percentage points from, say, 98% to roughly 95 or 96%...
              > >
              > > But, at least I'll feel even more smug doing it the correct way.
              > > ;)
              > >
              > > Thanks!
              > > Niels

            • gourdidol
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 3, 2010
                Yeah, the "2" (which keys for a sharp "a", as in hAte) above that second "a" in Huzza is definitely not super-clear in the online version, even when zoomed in, but it is very clear if you can access an actual printed copy. My university library has one, and it's likely that other large libraries may as well.

                It's definitely HuzzaY.

                --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "Michelle" <mich9118@...> wrote:

                > I'm reading that second A as one in the word "hall." Not "hate."
                >
                > Michelle
                >

                > --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "gourdidol" <hamavos.niels@> wrote:
                > >
                > > This is a great resource to have on line - Thanks very much!
                > >
                > > Sadly, I'm sure the percentage of re-inactors (sic) who cheer (and write) "HuzzaH" instead of "huzzaY" will likely only drop by a few percentage points from, say, 98% to roughly 95 or 96%...
                > >
                > > But, at least I'll feel even more smug doing it the correct way.
                > > ;)
                > >
                > > Thanks!
                > > Niels

              • Michelle Ligon
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 3, 2010
                  I'm thinking it's a little 3.

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 3, 2010
                    I viewed the new image, and I'm thinking it's a little 2.  lol

                    Thank you ~

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 3, 2010
                      Nope, its a number 2. You can even see it in the zoomed version I just posted as a file here. It shows as a 2 in each pronunciation of HUZZA. You need o look at it in the Adobe PDF viewer that lets you zoom in much better than the online version in Google. The online version is searchable, whereas the PDF is not (Google rules you can read on the first page of the PDF).

                      I could also upload a zoomed version of the legend too if you like.

                      Link to zoomed image:

                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 3, 2010
                        I uploaded a zoomed legend as well showing the "2" pronounced as the "a" in "hAte".

                        --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "bcortez98_2" <bcortez98_2@...> wrote:

                        > Nope, its a number 2. You can even see it in the zoomed version I just posted as a file here. It shows as a 2 in each pronunciation of HUZZA. You need o look at it in the Adobe PDF viewer that lets you zoom in much better than the online version in Google. The online version is searchable, whereas the PDF is not (Google rules you can read on the first page of the PDF).
                        >
                        > I could also upload a zoomed version of the legend too if you like.
                        >
                        > Link to zoomed image:
                        >

                        > --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, Michelle Ligon <mich9118@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I'm thinking it's a little 3.

                      • mike
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 5, 2010
                          Indeed, Sheridan's dictionary says to pronounce "huzza" with a long "a." However, here are a couple thoughts regarding word pronunciation.

                          1)This dictionary comes from England and makes no accounting of regional dialect. It is quite possible areas of North America pronounced words quite differently. Maybe Bostonians, for example, used a soft "a" (that sound is quite common in today's speech from that area). After all, the colonies had had nearly two centuries to develop their own ways of speaking.

                          B)Sheridan says to pronounce "tackle" with a soft "a." However, mariners pronounced it "taickle." In addition to seeing it written "tay...," Falconer's dictionary directly says to pronounce it "taicle."

                          Anyways, my point is that we have to be careful about applying universals to anything in history--including words. Sheridan is good for London in 1780 (although I'm sure differences could have been heard just around town let alone in other parts of England) but, as heard on ships, his way ain't the only way.

                          Thus endeth the sermon. Amen.

                          Mike Barbieri
                          Whitcomb's Corps