kites

  • dillon sommer
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 6, 2010
      Hello,

      I just made the kite that nwta.com Tinbox patterns has, and i was wondering if there are any refrences to kites bing made and flown by soldiers, or if there are any other drawings  of kites from the period. I do know of the Dutch kite which is dated 1773, and is thought to be the worlds oldest surviving kite.

      Thanks,

      Dillon Sommer
      Captn Hopkins's Co'y, Warner's Extra-Continental Regiment

    • durhamlass1758
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 6, 2010
        A painting by Francis Hayman of two children with a kite, dated 1740-42, can be seen here at the Fitzwilliam Museum, Accession Number PD.13-1997

        http://www.fitzmuseum.cam.ac.uk/opac/search/cataloguedetail.html?&priref=3330&_function_=xslt&_limit_=100

        -Emily

        --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, dillon sommer <dillroy1@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I just made the kite that nwta.com Tinbox patterns has, and i was wondering if there are any refrences to kites bing made and flown by soldiers, or if there are any other drawings  of kites from the period. I do know of the Dutch kite which is dated 1773, and is thought to be the worlds oldest surviving kite.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Dillon Sommer
        > Captn Hopkins's Co'y, Warner's Extra-Continental Regiment

      • Jack Sherry
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 6, 2010
          Prior to Ben Franklin's famous electrical kite experiment, he flew paper kites as a boy. Once, as he was swimming, he used a kite to pull him across a pond (Ben describes this event in his autobiography). This was probably done sometime between 1712 and 1722 (between ages 6 and 16) depending upon when you describe "boyhood". He had served in the militia at one time, so you could say that a soldier (Ben) had flown a kite. Did soldiers in general (no pun intended) fly kites? It is entirely possible.

          Jack Sherry
          www.visitwithBenFranklin.com

          To: Revlist@yahoogroups.com
          From: durhamlass1758@...
          Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 18:52:34 +0000
          Subject: [Revlist] Re: kites

          A painting by Francis Hayman of two children with a kite, dated 1740-42, can be seen here at the Fitzwilliam Museum, Accession Number PD.13-1997

          http://www.fitzmuseum.cam.ac.uk/opac/search/cataloguedetail.html?&priref=3330&_function_=xslt&_limit_=100

          -Emily

          --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, dillon sommer <dillroy1@...> wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > I just made the kite that nwta.com Tinbox patterns has, and i was wondering if there are any refrences to kites bing made and flown by soldiers, or if there are any other drawings of kites from the period. I do know of the Dutch kite which is dated 1773, and is thought to be the worlds oldest surviving kite.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Dillon Sommer
          > Captn Hopkins's Co'y, Warner's Extra-Continental Regiment

        • radford_polinsky
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 7, 2010