Re: [Revlist] 71st Website (Captain Sutherland's Coy) Live!

  • Gregory Theberge
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 5, 2010
      Site looks good Alex!
      Hey, any chance of sending along a jpeg of Archibald Campbell to include in this slideshow of mine?
      It's up to over 1050 images so far.
      Thanks in advance.  Greg

    • Alexander John Good
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 5, 2010
        Thanks John. One nice thing about the 71st is the
        amount of surviving order books, account books, and
        other documentation. It allows in large part the means
        to act like a campaigner unit, because you can point
        to the manuscripts and say "that's how they did it",
        rather than having to listen to those that say "they'd
        have done it this way if they could". ;^)

        Cheers!

        Alex

        > Your unit is off to a good start. The strict requirements may put off
        > some potential recruits but it says something about the level of
        > authenticity you strive to maintain.
        >
        > Huzzay! (spelt phonetically)
        >
        > John White
        > Avalon Forge

      • Alexander John Good
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 5, 2010
          Greg,

          Check yer email! And thanks!

          Alex

          > Site looks good Alex!
          > Hey, any chance of sending along a jpeg of Archibald Campbell to include in this slideshow of mine?
          > It's up to over 1050 images so far.
          > Thanks in advance.  Greg

        • jackfortune
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 12, 2010
            --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, avalonforge <avalonforge@...> wrote:

            > Huzzay! (spelt phonetically)

            Now there's a thing. Is this a generally known fact that has passed me by, not having the habit of cheering in authentic 18th century style?

            Do we know why we (almost?)always see it written in unhelpful, non-phonetic style?

            Has any one told the cavalry?

            JF
          • Joseph Ruckman
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 12, 2010
              > > Huzzay! (spelt phonetically)
              >
              > Now there's a thing. Is this a generally known fact that has passed
              > me by, not having the habit of cheering in authentic 18th century
              > style?

              Hmmmm, let me check my list for 2010.

              Beards? Check.

              WIR? Check.

              Unruly Riflemen? Check.

              Lantern Stands? Check.

              OMG, we haven't picked apart the "proper" pronunciation of "Huzzah" yet, and it's already mid-July!!

              Let's get to it, folks!

              Joseph, with tongue firmly in cheek
            • Lowell Thomas
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 12, 2010
                IN DAYS OF OLDE, OLDE WAS SPELLED OLDE ;-)
                Oldeturtle

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 14, 2010
                  --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph Ruckman" <jruckman@...> wrote:

                  > OMG, we haven't picked apart the "proper" pronunciation of "Huzzah" yet, and it's already mid-July!!

                  Strange as it may seem,as an amateur historian I find the notion of there being a difference between modern expectations or misconceptions and what may have been actually practiced in, say, the late 18th century, quite interesting...

                  Have I logged onto the wrong website?
                • Joseph Ruckman
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 14, 2010
                    > Strange as it may seem,as an amateur historian I find the notion of
                    > there being a difference between modern expectations or
                    > misconceptions and what may have been actually practiced in, say, the
                    > late 18th century, quite interesting...
                    >
                    > Have I logged onto the wrong website?

                    I'm not sure I understand the basis of your question. Are you saying you find it odd that we question whether what we do is appropriate for the period we're trying to portray? Or perhaps the fact that there is so much that we know is wrong that so many of us go ahead and do anyway?

                    Joseph
                  • jackfortune
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 14, 2010
                      --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph Ruckman" <jruckman@...> wrote:

                      > I'm not sure I understand the basis of your question.

                      The basis of my question was that I had never come across the rendering of 'huzzah' as 'huzzay,'which I found intriguing. This may be because I am a comparative newcomer to this period of history and not involved in re-enacting but nonetheless, being an avid collector of untypical and revisionary historical details in a general way, I wondered why it was that I had never come across this rendering before and was curious why, in my experience, it is almost always found written the one way (whether or not that implies just the one pronunciation)

                      Anyway, or onniewhy, as they say in Galloway, the continuation thread has left me somewhat the wiser.

                      JF