WOOL Gaitered Trousers?

  • danieloconnell
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2010
      Is there any general opinion on Gaitered Trousers made of WOOL?

      O'Connell
    • danieloconnell
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 2010
        Is there any general opinion on Gaitered Trousers made of WOOL?

        O'Connell
      • mike
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1, 2010
          DO'Connell,

          Actually, this might also apply to your herd. The 29th grew out of my unit years ago--many years ago--and I remember being told of coming across in their research a mention of the unit being issued such things in government plaid for winter use in Canada. I don't have the documentation but may be able to get it.

          Mike Barbieri
          Whitcomb's Corps

          --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "danieloconnell" <todanieloconnell@...> wrote:

          > Is there any general opinion on Gaitered Trousers made of WOOL?
          >
          > O'Connell

        • ChrisW
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 1, 2010
            Wool overalls (ungaitored) common in Napoleonic period. But don't know if earlier.
            Chris W

            --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "mike" <ottercreek@...> wrote:

            > DO'Connell,
            >
            > Actually, this might also apply to your herd. The 29th grew out of my unit years ago--many years ago--and I remember being told of coming across in their research a mention of the unit being issued such things in government plaid for winter use in Canada. I don't have the documentation but may be able to get it.
            >
            > Mike Barbieri
            > Whitcomb's Corps
            >
            > --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "danieloconnell" <todanieloconnell@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Is there any general opinion on Gaitered Trousers made of WOOL?
            > >
            > > O'Connell

          • Todd Post
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 1, 2010
              They're itchy and warm? Seriously, as Stuart points out, it depends. Some regiments got them, some didn't and they were made from a variety of woolen textiles. Like most general questions, starting with Henry Cooke's "Revolutionary War Uniforms: Construction Details and Finishing Touches" is a good place to start.

              Todd Post
              2d Virginia Regiment
              www.secondvirginia.org

              Jul 1, 2010 07:46:32 AM, Revlist@yahoogroups.com wrote:

              Is there any general opinion on Gaitered Trousers made of WOOL?

              O'Connell
            • ebolton123
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 1, 2010
                Chris,
                Actually most eary war U.S. Regiments of the War of 1812 were issued both wool and summer gaitored overalls.
                They did exist during the AWI period as well.
                Cheers,
                Bob Bolton
                Pa. Associators