Re: [Revlist] Urine

  • PBSP@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 1, 2010
      Bob

      Urine was used to clean/degrease raw wool and I believe other textile
      processes. I remember stale urine being used on the show Worst Jobs in
      History but just can remember Tony Robinson (Baldrick) was working on.

      Also an early black powder recipe called for wetting the ingredients
      with the urine of a Bishop who drank port wine.

      John Mills
      Mott's Artillery

    • john navarro
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 1, 2010
        I belive that urine was used in the tanning of leather as well . i seem to remember reading that in Rome tanners would put out jars in front of thier shops and people would use them as they walked past so the tanner had a good supply.

        john navarro

        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 1, 2010
          Wasn't urine used to activate WW I gas masks?

          Jack

          To: Revlist@yahoogroups.com
          From: jlnjake@...
          Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 19:30:15 -0800
          Subject: Re: [Revlist] Urine

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 1, 2010
            I don't know about that but I did read in a WWI history that during the First gas attack by the Germans it was reported that a British Officer was overheard telling his men "to piddle in their hankerchiefs" and put them over their Nose and mouths to counter the Chlorine Gas and advance. He remains nameless as they did'nt make it back.

            john Navarro

            > Wasn't urine used to activate WW I gas masks?
            >

            > Jack
            >

            > To: Revlist@yahoogroups.com
            > From: jlnjake@...
            > Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 19:30:15 -0800
            > Subject: Re: [Revlist] Urine
            >

            > I belive that urine was used in the tanning of leather as
            > well . i seem to remember reading that in Rome tanners would
            > put out jars in front of thier shops and people would use
            > them as they walked past so the tanner had a good supply.
            >
            > john navarro
            >
            > --- On Mon, 3/1/10, PBSP@... <PBSP@...>
            > wrote:
            >
            > > From: PBSP@... <PBSP@...>
            > > Subject: Re: [Revlist] Urine
            > > To: Revlist@yahoogroups.com
            > > Date: Monday, March 1, 2010, 9:22 PM

            > > Bob
            > >

            > > Urine was used to clean/degrease raw wool and I
            > > believe other textile
            > >
            > > processes. I remember stale urine being used on the
            > show
            > > Worst Jobs in
            > >
            > > History but just can remember Tony Robinson (Baldrick)
            > was
            > > working on.
            > >

            > > Also an early black powder recipe called for wetting
            > > the ingredients
            > >
            > > with the urine of a Bishop who drank port wine.
            > >

            > > John Mills
            > >
            > > Mott's Artillery

            > This List."

            > Revlist-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
            >
            > with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.Yahoo! Groups Links
            >

            >     Revlist-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          • Eric Kelly
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 1, 2010
              Everytime I sign onto Revlist,  I realize I share the passion and love of history with so many people that i have so much in common with that i can't help but say to myself.......

              "Eric.....Urine good Company!"  : )      I quack myself up!!!!  I"m sorry...I had to!

              Cheers!!!
              Eric Kelly

              To: Revlist@yahoogroups.com
              From: jlnjake@...
              Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 19:30:15 -0800

              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 2, 2010
                That would be the ship HMS Peepod. :-) No seriously, I heard urine was used to brown musket barrels. Hence the "Brown Bess" musket.

                Jim Murphy
                9th Foot

                --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "bvogler" <bvogler@...> wrote:

                > List-
                > I was looking through a Hessian diary this evening an came across this passage:
                >
                > "The sailors wash their clothes in urine which they collect in a vessel for this purpose."
                > -Colonel Johann August von Loos aboard the troop transport "Greyhound" , May 28th 1776.
                >
                > I have heard of "Portuguese Urine" which was suspose to have a prefect whitening effect on teeth. And I have read that 17th & 18th century aristocrats were willing to purchase it in barrel imported from Portugal for their dental care. Urine does comtain ammonia molecules there are found in modern tooth paste & whitens teeth very well... but I have never heard of collecting urine for washing clothes... ??
                >
                > And so it goes,
                > Bob V.

              • Glenn Williams
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 2, 2010
                  Yes, as chemical weapons became more widely employed, Allied soldiers were instructed to soak cloth in urine as an expedient filter for chlorine gas.

                  Also, if you have read Erich Maria Remarque's "novel, All Quiet on the Western Front," many of the descriptions about life in the trenches were said to be based on his own experiences, the author mentions troops drinking urine when they ran out of water.

                  Glenn

                  --- On Mon, 3/1/10, Jack Sherry <jsherry49@hotmail. com> wrote:

                  > Wasn't urine used to activate WW I gas masks?
                  >

                  > Jack
                  >

                  > To: Revlist@yahoogroups .com
                  > From: jlnjake@yahoo. com
                  > Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 19:30:15 -0800
                  > Subject: Re: [Revlist] Urine
                  >

                  > I belive that urine was used in the tanning of leather as
                  > well . i seem to remember reading that in Rome tanners would
                  > put out jars in front of thier shops and people would use
                  > them as they walked past so the tanner had a good supply.
                  >
                  > john navarro
                  >
                  > --- On Mon, 3/1/10, PBSP@... <PBSP@...>
                  > wrote:
                  >
                  > > From: PBSP@... <PBSP@...>
                  > > Subject: Re: [Revlist] Urine
                  > > To: Revlist@yahoogroups .com
                  > > Date: Monday, March 1, 2010, 9:22 PM

                  > > Bob
                  > >

                  > > Urine was used to clean/degrease raw wool and I
                  > > believe other textile
                  > >
                  > > processes. I remember stale urine being used on the
                  > show
                  > > Worst Jobs in
                  > >
                  > > History but just can remember Tony Robinson (Baldrick)
                  > was
                  > > working on.
                  > >

                  > > Also an early black powder recipe called for wetting
                  > > the ingredients
                  > >
                  > > with the urine of a Bishop who drank port wine.
                  > >

                  > > John Mills
                  > >
                  > > Mott's Artillery

                  > http://clk.atdmt. com/GBL/go/ 201469227/ direct/01/

                  > This List."

                  > Revlist-unsubscribe @yahoogroups. com
                  >
                  > with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.Yahoo! Groups Links
                  >

                  >     Revlist-fullfeature d@yahoogroups. com

                • avalonforge
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 2, 2010
                    Years ago when I first started my business, I had purchased some white
                    buff musket slings from Pakistan. By the odor, there was no doubt that
                    urine was used as part of the tanning process.

                    And, although I am a bit long in the tooth, it was NOT in the 18th
                    century <VBG>.

                    John White
                    Avalon Forge
                    Baltimore
                    "Replicas for 18th Century Living History"
                    http://www.avalonforge.com

                    john navarro wrote:

                    > I belive that urine was used in the tanning of leather as well . i
                    > seem to remember reading that in Rome tanners would put out jars in
                    > front of thier shops and people would use them as they walked past so
                    > the tanner had a good supply.
                    >
                    > john navarro
                    >
                    > --- On Mon, 3/1/10, PBSP@... <mailto:PBSP%40AOL.COM> <PBSP@...
                    > <mailto:PBSP%40AOL.COM>> wrote:
                    >
                    > > From: PBSP@... <mailto:PBSP%40AOL.COM> <PBSP@...
                    > <mailto:PBSP%40AOL.COM>>
                    > > Subject: Re: [Revlist] Urine
                    > > To: Revlist@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Revlist%40yahoogroups.com>
                    > > Date: Monday, March 1, 2010, 9:22 PM

                    > > Bob
                    > >

                    > > Urine was used to clean/degrease raw wool and I
                    > > believe other textile
                    > >
                    > > processes. I remember stale urine being used on the show
                    > > Worst Jobs in
                    > >
                    > > History but just can remember Tony Robinson (Baldrick) was
                    > > working on.
                    > >

                    > > Also an early black powder recipe called for wetting
                    > > the ingredients
                    > >
                    > > with the urine of a Bishop who drank port wine.
                    > >

                    > > John Mills
                    > >
                    > > Mott's Artillery

                  • lenthecooper
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 2, 2010
                      Joe, that was a Canadian medical officer from Montreal,at the Second Battle of Ypres. Being Canadian, the quote was more like 'piss on your handkerchiefs boys!' The Canadians held the line whereas the French colonial troops who had been directly in front of the chlorine had no chance to react to this new threat.
                      Cheers,
                      Len Heidebrecht
                      Company of Select Marksmen

                      Taken from the suite101 website:
                      <snip>
                      Captain F.A.C Scrimger, quickly recognized the chlorine for what it was, and passed word that the Canadians should urinate on their handkerchiefs and hold them against their face to combat the effects of the gas (at the time it was thought the ammonia in urine would have a neutralizing effect; it was later found plain water was just as effective against the water-soluble chlorine gas. A few days later, Captain Scrimger would earn a Victoria Cross for evacuating a medical aid station while under fire).

                      Read more at Suite101: Canada at Second Battle of Ypres: First Division Faces First German Chlorine Gas Attack of WW I http://canada-at-war.suite101.com/article.cfm/canada_at_second_battle_of_ypres#ixzz0h1qFzUYI

                      --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, john navarro <jlnjake@...> wrote:

                      > I don't know about that but I did read in a WWI history that during the First gas attack by the Germans it was reported that a British Officer was overheard telling his men "to piddle in their hankerchiefs" and put them over their Nose and mouths to counter the Chlorine Gas and advance. He remains nameless as they did'nt make it back.
                      >
                      > john Navarro
                    • Eric Kelly
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 2, 2010
                        I was finally able to start the project i asked about for so long.  I've had a Double bag knapsack for some time now that I've been wanting to paint properly and I finally applied the first coat last night.   Last year I had bought a New Invented Pack from Godwin and painted it with Barn Red Latex Paint.  I thought it turned out decent until I painted the Doublebag last night...WOW what a difference!!!!   Huge difference in Color, Texture, Appearance...etc.   However,  I noticed that some knapsacks used by some hardcoure units out there,  such as the corps of sappers and miners etc.  are signicantly more Red in appearance......like bright red orange.....compared to my venetian red......or Spanish Red/Brown that mine turned out to look like.  I even noticed that the packs that Stuart Lilie sells are more Red than Red/Brown/Venetian..............unless it was the lighting or how the picture was taken??     I'm assuming because it is the
                        18th century,  that there isn't a standard color for packs.  Because of the mixtures and pigments,  the shades would have varied??  Much like Madder Red wool,   I'm sure that they jackets were all constructed the same,  but I can't imagine that they had the shades of Red perfect for all the coats,  given the use of dyes and pigments couldn't have been as consistent as would be in today's modern world.    I hope i did the right thing.    I came to the list and asked what is the right way to go about this.   Numerous people on the list shared recipes of Boiled Linseed Oil / Iron Oxide Powder/ and Dryer.   So I"m assuming I got it "Right".   Just noticed my color was more Spanish Brown/Venetian than the Red/Orange of other hardcore groups.

                        Any feedback?

                        Thanks,
                        Eric

                        Joe, that was a Canadian medical officer from Montreal,at the Second Battle of Ypres. Being Canadian, the quote was more like 'piss on your handkerchiefs boys!' The Canadians held the line whereas the French colonial troops who had been directly in front of the chlorine had no chance to react to this new threat.
                        Cheers,
                        Len Heidebrecht
                        Company of Select Marksmen

                        Taken from the suite101 website:
                        <snip>
                        Captain F.A.C Scrimger, quickly recognized the chlorine for what it was, and passed word that the Canadians should urinate on their handkerchiefs and hold them against their face to combat the effects of the gas (at the time it was thought the ammonia in urine would have a neutralizing effect; it was later found plain water was just as effective against the water-soluble chlorine gas. A few days later, Captain Scrimger would earn a Victoria Cross for evacuating a medical aid station while under fire).

                        Read more at Suite101: Canada at Second Battle of Ypres: First Division Faces First German Chlorine Gas Attack of WW I http://canada- at-war.suite101. com/article. cfm/canada_ at_second_ battle_of_ ypres#ixzz0h1qFz UYI

                        --- In Revlist@yahoogroups .com, john navarro <jlnjake@... > wrote:

                        > I don't know about that but I did read in a WWI history that during the First gas attack by the Germans it was reported that a British Officer was overheard telling his men "to piddle in their hankerchiefs" and put them over their Nose and mouths to counter the Chlorine Gas and advance. He remains nameless as they did'nt make it back.
                        >
                        > john Navarro

                      • Eric Kelly
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 2, 2010
                          I recall reading in a book about Philadelphia during the Revolution, that on mainstreet Philadelphia there was an Allstate Insurance Office that sold insurance for naval vessels and ships,   and the sign in front of the office stated,  "Allstate,  Urine good hands."

                          Thankyou,  Thankyou,  I'll be here all week....

                          Don't forget to tip your waitress!

                          Cheers!
                          Eric

                          Joe, that was a Canadian medical officer from Montreal,at the Second Battle of Ypres. Being Canadian, the quote was more like 'piss on your handkerchiefs boys!' The Canadians held the line whereas the French colonial troops who had been directly in front of the chlorine had no chance to react to this new threat.
                          Cheers,
                          Len Heidebrecht
                          Company of Select Marksmen

                          Taken from the suite101 website:
                          <snip>
                          Captain F.A.C Scrimger, quickly recognized the chlorine for what it was, and passed word that the Canadians should urinate on their handkerchiefs and hold them against their face to combat the effects of the gas (at the time it was thought the ammonia in urine would have a neutralizing effect; it was later found plain water was just as effective against the water-soluble chlorine gas. A few days later, Captain Scrimger would earn a Victoria Cross for evacuating a medical aid station while under fire).

                          Read more at Suite101: Canada at Second Battle of Ypres: First Division Faces First German Chlorine Gas Attack of WW I http://canada- at-war.suite101. com/article. cfm/canada_ at_second_ battle_of_ ypres#ixzz0h1qFz UYI

                          --- In Revlist@yahoogroups .com, john navarro <jlnjake@... > wrote:

                          > I don't know about that but I did read in a WWI history that during the First gas attack by the Germans it was reported that a British Officer was overheard telling his men "to piddle in their hankerchiefs" and put them over their Nose and mouths to counter the Chlorine Gas and advance. He remains nameless as they did'nt make it back.
                          >
                          > john Navarro

                        • Alan
                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 2, 2010
                            Urine Preferably first morning urine of a young boy was collected (it is more concentrated and cleaner) and used in the dyeing of true Indigo blue.There is a chemical reaction with the material that cause the fabric to go from white to blue from the oxidation.google Indigo and urine and you will get a better description. I have seen this done and it stinks as bad as leather tanning.Also Urine was used in some type of tanning also.Google those two also and will tons of info.
                            Alan