Re: [Revlist] The Only RUM!!!!!

  • Lowell Thomas
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2010
      AND I HAD A VERY GOOD READ. HERE IN PA THE STATE LIQUOR STORES CAN NOT CARRY IT AS I UNDERSTAND. MUCH CHEAPER AND VVVERY NEAR COLLECT IS "APPLETON'S ESTATE"
      Lowell

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2010
        "Pussers" is a later and lighter Victorian-era blend, the original RN rum mixture having changed several times over the centuries.

        The modern "Myers", "Goslings", and "Black Strap" brands are closer to period rum, though my understanding is that issue rum was as much as treble over-proof, and is no longer available in the U.S.

        Period narratives (Army and Navy) and USN purchasing records I have seen seem to indicate that Americans were more frequently issued whiskey. Peach brandy and apple brandy were also common issue in the early USN.

        --Mark