Re: Keys and wallet - in your pockets

  • bolton1812
    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 1, 2010
      ...notebook?
      Cheers,
      Bob Bolton
      Pa. Associators

      --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, Sgt42RHR@... wrote:

      > Thank you for your response. Since this man was a Sjt., and since he was
      > carrying a pen in a case, I wondered if it might be a small pocket book of
      > paper for taking notes. I wonder, if that had been the article in
      > question, how would it have been described?
      >
      > Again, thanks for your reply.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > John
      >
      > John M. Johnston
      > There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness. Dave Barry
      >

      > In a message dated 3/1/2010 5:34:27 A.M. Central Standard Time,
      > gstheberge@... writes:
      >
      > a man's wallet, especially an embroidered cloth wallet (like a modern
      > wallet for carrying money and credit cards, not to be confused with a "market
      > wallet") was often referred to as a pocketbook.

    • Mike E
      Message 2 of 26 , Mar 1, 2010
        Not to be a smart-alec, but I know there's been discussion as to which style was pc. Was there a consensus, and who offers one for sale?

        Mike

        --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "bolton1812" <ebolton123@...> wrote:

        > ...knapsack?
        > Cheers,
        > Bob Bolton
        > Pa. Associators
        >

        > --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "Mike E" <meck1776@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Allow me to pose a question, regarding this item, as applies to us modern reenactors. What I carry in mine are modern wallet, car keys, 18th Cent eyeglasses, breath mints (to talk with the public), a pocket knife, some sinew, and a small Bible. Since I am reluctant to leave especially the wallet and keys behind, in my tent (not that I don't trust reencators, I don't trust the public), what shall I do with them?
        > > YHS,
        > > Mike Eckhart
        > > Cpl., 24th Conn Militia
        > > (who has a home-made, hand-sewn, leather strapped, antler buttoned, brown oilcloth, haversack)

      • Todd Post
        Message 3 of 26 , Mar 1, 2010
          Mike,

          Roy Najecki sells a good haversack in either kit or finished form, complete with documentation packet.

          Cheers,
          Todd Post
          2d Virginia Regiment
          www.secondvirginia.org

          "The heroism and gallantry of the second Virginia regiment I cannot help particularly mentioning; they would do honour to any country in the world. It is universally believed they behaved the best of any troops in the field."
          -- Virginia Gazette, October 17, 1777

          facebook.com/SecondVirginia
          twitter.com/SecondVirginia
          youtube.com/2dVirginiaRegiment
          flickr.com/photos/SecondVirginia

          On Mar 1, 2010, at 6:54 PM, Mike E wrote:

          > Not to be a smart-alec, but I know there's been discussion as to which style was pc. Was there a consensus, and who offers one for sale?
          >
          > Mike
        • bdodgeweaver
          Message 4 of 26 , Mar 1, 2010
            --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, Todd Post <todd.post2@...> wrote:

            > Mike,
            >
            > Roy Najecki sells a good haversack in either kit or finished form, complete with documentation packet.
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Todd Post
            > 2d Virginia Regiment
            > www.secondvirginia.org

            Mike - Roy's kit for a plain haversack (no "GR/Broad Arrow" stamp) is $12. It's the cheap and authentic - Thad Weaver, German Rt.
          • gffranks3
            Message 5 of 26 , Mar 2, 2010
              Mike et al.,

              I highly recommend Roy Najecki's haversacks.

              I bought the kit and enjoyed creating the finished haversack from it. Everything you need plus excellent instructions and documentation.

              Cheers,

              Geo. Franks, Hatter
              http://cockedhats.com
            • Mike E
              Message 6 of 26 , Mar 2, 2010
                Should have made it a little clearer. One person suggested a knapsack for carrying the 21st century items. As I stated, I have a good haversack, in the approximate dimensions, that I had handsewn. When did the knapsack come into vogue for the Continental soldier? I have one I put together copying the 1776 Sketchbook but I think people have issues with it.

                Mike

                Message 7 of 26 , Mar 2, 2010
                  Mike,
                  As to style...depends on your impression. A single bag style is really brainless to make...kinda like a slightly oversized haversack (OMG that word) with straps.

                  Message 8 of 26 , Mar 2, 2010
                    Mike,
                    I guess that would have been me. I wasn't suggesting a knapsack "for" 21st c. items, rather, put your 21st c. items in your knapsack. A smallish cloth or leather bag tied securely and tucked into a corner of your knapsack should hold your modern needs.
                    I guess it really depends on how you use your gear. If you need your haversack for food, use the k-sack for your keys, etc., as I mentioned. If you don't eat from your haversack, then it really does'nt matter which conveyance you use(?).

                    Message 9 of 26 , Mar 2, 2010
                      Mike,

                      > Should have made it a little clearer. One person suggested a knapsack for carrying the 21st century items. As I stated, I have a good haversack, in the approximate dimensions, that I had handsewn. When did the knapsack come into vogue for the Continental soldier? I have one I put together copying the 1776 Sketchbook but I think people have issues with it.

                      I don't think it's a matter of knapsacks becoming "into vogue for the Continental soldier", in fact I think the point has been made in this whole discussion that Continentals were more likely to have a knapsack then they were a haversack.

                      For the 2d Virginia Regiment, they were issuing cloth to make knapsacks within two months of formation (while new companies continued to roll into Williamsburg) as mentioned in the regiment's orderly book: "...“all the Officers of the 2nd Regiment are Immediately to get themselves in Readiness about Compleating their men with all the necessarys... knapsacks...Haversacks, or any other Necessarys.”" The daybook of the Virginia Public Store documents the cloth issued for this purpose: "To 73 yards Oznabr. Dilvd Capt Taliaferro for Napsacks @ 1/6"

                      You do have to be careful with "Sketchbook '76" as like with the Book of the Continental Soldier, while it was leading edge for its time, some of the information has been debunked. For instance, one of the knapsacks in there is actually a Federal period militia knapsack, not a Revolutionary War one.

                      -- Virginia Gazette, October 17, 1777