Continental officers' accouterments? Any good info out there?

  • Matthew Murphy
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2010
      Dear List,
      I'm looking for information regarding cartridge boxes and bayonet carriages used by Continental officers (as opposed to Crown or militia officers).  I'm assuming (AAA!  Not the "A" word!) that if an officer equipped himself with a fusil then he would have acquired some means of carrying his ammunition and bayonet on his own.  Or maybe he may have drawn from the same supplies as the enlisted men?  I don't know but would very much like to read any documentation concerning these items, and even better, seeing some images of existing originals.
      And yes, the goal is to outfit myself based on these findings...well, should they reveal some helpful info.  *fingers crossed*
      Thank you in advance.

      Yr Humble Srvt,
      Matt Murphy
      2d NJ Regt, Helms' Coy.

      PS- I'm aware of the repeated general orders of late '77 and '78 instructing Continental officers to equip themselves with spontoons, so I'm thinking any good documentation would be from before this part of the war.