Iron Belt Buckles Question

  • Christopher Templin
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2010
      Folks,

      Does anyone know of any sutlers who sell the iron belt buckles that are smaller than Townsend's. Townsend's fits belts between 2 1/2" and 2 3/4". I am looking for for some buckles that are Iron, but made to fit a 1 1/2" to 2" belt. Thanks in advance for your help.

      Christopher Templin
      2d Cont. Art. Reg't, Flemming's Coy,
      Christopher Templin
    • Gregory Theberge
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2010
        Chris,

        If you're looking for a iron belt buckle, be careful of the construction. If memory serves me correctly, most iron buckles of the period, including  those that have been excavated from military sites, do not have that center cross bar you see on the Townsend buckles where the keeper connects. They were simply squares of iron where the keeper is on one end. This does not allow the belt to slip under the other side of the buckle to keep it in place. Most (if not all?) were not constructed the same as 18th century brass buckles with the keeper on a middle bar.

        Greg