Re: $250,000 for a Reenactment?

  • linen0iz
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2009
      Well, if it's a large battle with many units, done in a way that is as historically accurate as possible, and narrated, I can see it being pricey. Maybe not THAT pricey.

      -Robert S. Paul
      1NH

      --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "secondvaregt" <todd.post2@...> wrote:

      > Recently, the Manassas City Council voted to pay $100,000 to a group called Virginia Civil War Events, Inc. to produce a 150th anniversary reenactment of the First Battle of Manassas in 2011 and the council is also requesting upwards of $250,000 from the Commonwealth of Virginia for the same purpose.
      >
      > This got a write up in a local paper at:
      >
      > http://www2.starexponent.com/cse/news/state_regional/article/manassas_set_to_fund_civil_war_events/46928/
      >
      > At least one Civil War blogger has written about this to express his concerns:
      >
      > http://cwmemory.com/2009/11/20/250000-for-a-reenactment/
      >
      > It is an interesting discussion given the small budgets that our time period has to work with.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Todd Post
      > 2d Virginia Regiment
      > www.secondvirginia.org
      > www.facebook.com/SecondVirginia
      > www.twitter.com/SecondVirginia

    • secondvaregt
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2009
        Robert,

        Large or no, it's a bloated budget. Turns out the $250,000 figure was LOW based on a follow up posting I saw on the blog:

        "It is not $250,000 from the state. It is $100,000 from Manassas, $250,000 from Prince William, and $1,000,000 from the State per year. The Washington Post had an article over the holiday (I could not find it online) and it stated the group needs $3.9 million to pull off their program. Please reread the original article and it states the same request. At this point we are past the reenactment discussion to a what in the world are they selling discussion."

        Thing is, "a large battle with many units" and "as historically accurate as possible" tend to be mutually exclusive. Historical accuracy is always sacrificed for increased numbers, so that shouldn't be a factor. Sure, if some of this money was going to help get all of the participants into circa 1861 uniforms, civilians in carriages to be overrun by the retreating Federals, etc., I could see that being an expense in the name of historical accuracy, but the truth is that you'll have the full spectrum of people from the most authentic to Halloween costume quality "uniforms" in terms of quality.

        In our own period we have that issue where to get large numbers we have people in 1775 impressions at 1781 events, foreign and native forces at battles that had none, etc.

        Cheers,
        Todd