Re: [Revlist] Moccasins

  • Thomas Bores
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 3, 2009
      The Crazy Crow. Do a search they have a webpage to order online.
      A good source and awesome craftmanship.

      Tom Bores

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 3, 2009
        Matt,
        Making your own is quite simple:

        http://tinyurl.com/gpzpt

        will take you directly to the Nativetech.com website for a pattern for the
        above.

        Make the paper pattern, transfer it to some cheap material and sew it up. I
        had to make a couple of slight modifications (especially to the foot
        opening) to get a good fit. Be sure to add extra room if you want to add
        comfortable Dr. Scholl or the like insoles. Try them on with the insoles in
        place.

        Transfer the modified pattern to leather and follow the sewing
        instructions. You can also make good fabric copies and use them for lining.

        The ones I made for myself turned out great. Not difficult and very
        comfortable.

        Smoke and Fire sells a do it yourself kit but I don't know about the quality.

        Alex

        At 03:01 PM 03/08/2009, you wrote:
        >List-
        >
        >Excuse the post if it is not relevant. I am looking for a good pair of
        >moccasins for portraying native american/ranging in the French and Indian
        >and Revwar. Does anyone know of a good vendor?
        >
        >Thanks
        >
        >Matt N
        >5th NY

        >TO UNSUBSCRIBE: please send a message to
        >Revlist-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
        >with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.Yahoo! Groups Links

      • chris DIPASQUALE
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 3, 2009
          I suggest making your own too, if not look on historical trekking .com , go to the round robin section, there's usually a lot for sale there. For good directions on how to make them refer to Mark Baker's videos or A Pilgrims Journey

          Chris

          will take you directly to the Nativetech.com website for a pattern for the
          above.

          Make the paper pattern, transfer it to some cheap material and sew it up. I
          had to make a couple of slight modifications (especially to the foot
          opening) to get a good fit. Be sure to add extra room if you want to add
          comfortable Dr. Scholl or the like insoles. Try them on with the insoles in
          place.

          Transfer the modified pattern to leather and follow the sewing
          instructions. You can also make good fabric copies and use them for lining.

          The ones I made for myself turned out great. Not difficult and very
          comfortable.

          Smoke and Fire sells a do it yourself kit but I don't know about the quality.

          Alex

          At 03:01 PM 03/08/2009, you wrote:
          >List-
          >
          >Excuse the post if it is not relevant. I am looking for a good pair of
          >moccasins for portraying native american/ranging in the French and Indian
          >and Revwar. Does anyone know of a good vendor?
          >
          >Thanks
          >
          >Matt N
          >5th NY

          >TO UNSUBSCRIBE: please send a message to
          >Revlist-unsubscribe @yahoogroups. com
          >with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Mark Redfern
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 3, 2009
            Matt,

            Greg makes great moccasins give him a call.

            http://www.revwarsupplier.com/ <http://www.revwarsupplier.com/>

            Mark Redfern

            Charleville's Co.

            Illinois Regiment

            --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "Matt" <skippy811@...> wrote:

            > List-
            >
            > Excuse the post if it is not relevant. I am looking for a good pair of
            moccasins for portraying native american/ranging in the French and
            Indian and Revwar. Does anyone know of a good vendor?

            > Thanks
            >
            > Matt N
            > 5th NY

          • Robert Aldridge
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 3, 2009
              'CRAZY CROW' ????? you have GOT to be kidding, those are not even tourist-cub scout quality, get or make your own PROPER styled moc's....

              ____________ _________ _________ __

              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 4, 2009
                Hi Matt,

                I agree with making your own. They are not difficult to make. However, I'd
                recommend making the "pucker toe" type moccasin because your foot won't get
                wet so easily. With the pucker toe the seam is on top of the foot behind
                the toe instead of underneath the toe. Here's a version of the pucker toe
                type moccasin. Notice there is no cut in the leather in towards the toe.
                That's why the seam ends up on the top:

                http://www.southernindiandept.org/mocpattern.htm

                Here's another one that shows the similar type of construction of a later
                style, but gives great info on measuring for a good fit. Use these
                measurement methods to make the ones shown in the first link:

                http://www.nativetech.org/seminole/moccasins/construction.php

                I still have a pair of the Smoke and Fire Moccasins that I made from their
                kit. They are lined with wool which was a surprisingly easy thing to do.
                Kit is complete and it will take you 2-3 hours to complete but it does have
                the center cut in towards the toe, so you end up with the seam under the toe
                which often results in wet socks.

                YMHS,
                Dan

                --
                Dan Gracia
                Virginia 7th Regiment

                On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 4:27 PM, A Lawrence <alawrenc@...> wrote:

                > Matt,
                > Making your own is quite simple:
                >
                > http://tinyurl.com/gpzpt
                >
                > will take you directly to the Nativetech.com website for a pattern for the
                > above.
                >
                > Make the paper pattern, transfer it to some cheap material and sew it up. I
                >
                > had to make a couple of slight modifications (especially to the foot
                > opening) to get a good fit. Be sure to add extra room if you want to add
                > comfortable Dr. Scholl or the like insoles. Try them on with the insoles in
                >
                > place.
                >
                > Transfer the modified pattern to leather and follow the sewing
                > instructions. You can also make good fabric copies and use them for lining.
                >
                > The ones I made for myself turned out great. Not difficult and very
                > comfortable.
                >
                > Smoke and Fire sells a do it yourself kit but I don't know about the
                > quality.
                >
                > Alex
                >

                > At 03:01 PM 03/08/2009, you wrote:
                > >List-
                > >
                > >Excuse the post if it is not relevant. I am looking for a good pair of
                > >moccasins for portraying native american/ranging in the French and Indian
                > >and Revwar. Does anyone know of a good vendor?
                > >
                > >Thanks
                > >
                > >Matt N
                > >5th NY

                > >TO UNSUBSCRIBE: please send a message to
                > >Revlist-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com<Revlist-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com>
                > >with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Mike Barbieri
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 4, 2009
                  --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, Dan Gracia <twisted1in66@...> wrote:

                  > ... so you end up with the seam under the toe
                  > which often results in wet socks.

                  Dan,

                  Another cure for wet socks condition is to avoid wearing 'em completely. Put a layer of grass in the mocs--protects against moisture and gravel-stabbing.

                  Mike Barbieri
                  Whitcomb's Corps
                • Dan Gracia
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 4, 2009
                    There you go Mike. That sounds authentic and practical. Actually I wear
                    orthotics, so I just put those in the bottom to stop the gravel stabbing.
                    It also keeps my ankle from giving out on me. But I like the layer of grass
                    idea.

                    Thanks,
                    Dan

                    --
                    Dan Gracia
                    Virginia 7th Regiment

                    On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 11:43 AM, Mike Barbieri <ottercreek@...>wrote:

                    > --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com <Revlist%40yahoogroups.com>, Dan Gracia
                    > <twisted1in66@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > ... so you end up with the seam under the toe
                    >
                    > > which often results in wet socks.
                    >
                    > Dan,
                    >
                    > Another cure for wet socks condition is to avoid wearing 'em completely.
                    > Put a layer of grass in the mocs--protects against moisture and
                    > gravel-stabbing.
                    >
                    > Mike Barbieri
                    > Whitcomb's Corps
                    >

                    > .
                    >
                    > __,_._,_

                    Dan Gracia
                    Virginia 7th Regiment
                    Rifle company
                    and
                    Capt. John Warner's Company
                    Green Mountain Rangers

                  • daniel oconnell
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 4, 2009
                      I bought Michael Galban's DVD on Woodland Moccasins from Track of the Wolf. Galban goes over several types of moccasins and shows you how to make them. An excellent DVD:

                      DVD-CWM Constructing Woodland Moccasins on DVD, Native American Series, with Michael Galban . . . $19.95

                      O'Connell
                      www.kings8th.com

                    • wa3ngg@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 10, 2009
                        In a message dated 8/4/2009 11:44:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                        ottercreek@... writes:

                        Dan,

                        Another cure for wet socks condition is to avoid wearing 'em completely.
                        Put a layer of grass in the mocs--protects against moisture and
                        gravel-stabbing.

                        I put in an "insole" cut from a sheep fleece. It kept my feet warm and
                        dry on a September hunt in the tundra, 1,000 miles north of Montreal!
                        Yrs,
                        Bill