Piper In The 2nd Btn, 71st Reg't

  • Alexander McCracken Good
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 1, 2009
      Dear List,

      As much as I know this will make some of the
      Highland haters out there cringe, I had to post
      this info regarding a piper in the 2nd Btn,
      71st Regt. In the book "Traditional Gaelic
      Bagpiping, 1745-1945" By John G. Gibson, the
      author references a letter (which I'm trying
      now to track down) from William McKenzie to
      a friend in New York City, dated 7 Feb, 1777.

      "I am still in Capt Patrick Campbell's of
      Glenuir's company I am Piper to the 2 Battn
      71 Regt I am as well as ever I was in my Life
      my Pay is as Good and 1 Shilling & sixpence
      Per Day and I hope my fortune within two years
      will be as Good that I will have 200 Acres of
      free Grownd of my own in this country... if it
      had not been for this war this is the Best
      Country in the World."

      Alas, I don't have the cite handy, but will as
      soon as I can get a copy of this book and not
      need to use google books to view it.

      Since I happen to have the Duke Account book,
      which was kept by Capt Patrick Campbell of Glenuir's
      company, I was able to find William McKenzie,
      and post the following info from it:

      Account Book 1779-81 Duke University Library
      (Identified as from Capt. Patrick Campbell's
      Coy 2/71st)

      William McKenzie

      Recd at Beauford p.? Ens Dewar 8 Sept 1779 2-12-10
      do at Savannah p. ? do do 1- 1- 9
      1pr Hoase at McCampbells Vendur 2- 2
      1 kilt at do - 12-
      To Altering your Clothing - 1- 6
      To 1 shirt at Camden 21st June 1780 -10-10 ½
      To 1 pr shoes at do Do - 8- 6

      To Cash pd. Lieut Robert Campbell 1-17- 4
      To Thread for your Tartan Trousers 7
      To Rations from 24 June 1779 to 24 do 1780
      at 2 ½ per day being 365 days 3-16- ½
      To extra Sea Rations - 1 -
      Jany
      To 1 pair Brown Trousers -11-
      To 2 Black Feathers Silk & Thread -10-

      15 Apl
      To 1 Shirt - 9-6
      To 1 pair Shoes - 7-6
      To Cloth for a Westcoat -5-
      To Alterating your Regt Clothing - 1- 6
      30th July
      To 1 Shirt -11-8
      To 1 pair shoes - 8- 4

      4 Sept
      To 1 lb Soap - 1- 6

      10 Oct
      To 1 pair Shoes - 7- 4
      To a Blanket - 8- 6
      To Rations for 365 Ds 3-16- ½
      To Dewar for 60 Ds -12- 6
      Balance due 6- 3- 3
      TOTAL 14-9- 6

      Recd the above Ballance
      being my full subsitiness
      to 24 Oct 1781 fromLt Robt
      Campbell
      (signed) William McKenzie

      Contra Cr

      Balance due to 24 June 1779 4 - 2 - 5½
      Pay from 24 June 1779 to 24 June 1780 at
      6d per day being 9 - 2 - 6
      Kings Bounty - 12 -2
      Wilmingtown prize money - 7 - 8
      Knapsack money - 2 - 6
      TOTAL 14 - 7 - 3 ½

      I also took a look through the 71st regt's list of
      1st and 2nd Btn invalids pulling garrison duty on
      James and Johns islands, and did find one William
      McKenzie listed in Capt Skelly's Coy, but as this
      was the 1st Btn (the list is organised by company,
      per Btn, and the names of Campbell's coy matches
      the names of other men in the Campbell Account
      book), it's likely not the same guy.

      So what does this mean? I'm not really sure. Given
      the info from the account book, it would seem Mr.
      McKenzie went on campaigne with the rest of his
      company, but whether he piped anywhere outside of
      New York, I don't know. The date of the letter
      would indicate he was in New York City, pulling
      garrison duty. What he did whilst in the field,
      especially in the south, is a mystery. I'm still
      checking to see if this company was captured at
      Yorktown, which I think it was, though I'm not
      certain.

      The fact that McKenzie had a kilt and hose however
      indicates to me that, he wore them occasionally
      to play the pipes. When and where is anyone's
      guess. I might point out too that other evidence
      indicates that the kilt was used by the 71st
      for garrison duty, so it's possible that the kilt
      listing isn't anything special with regards to
      his company.

      Cheers!

      Alex
    • DelRev225th@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 1, 2009
        Awesome. Keep me posted, Alex!

        Kim
        W3R-USA

        steps!
        %3D62%26bcd%3DfebemailfooterNO62)

      • DelRev225th@aol.com

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 1, 2009
            Hi Alex;

            This is superb. I hope that following up on that lead produces results
            for you!

            That reference to knapsack money at 2s. 6d. rings a bell...

            Best Regards,

            Steve Rayner

            --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "Alexander McCracken Good" <agood@...>
            wrote:

> [...]
            >
            > So what does this mean? I'm not really sure. Given
            > the info from the account book, it would seem Mr.
            > McKenzie went on campaigne with the rest of his
            > company, but whether he piped anywhere outside of
            > New York, I don't know. The date of the letter
            > would indicate he was in New York City, pulling
            > garrison duty. What he did whilst in the field,
            > especially in the south, is a mystery. I'm still
            > checking to see if this company was captured at
            > Yorktown, which I think it was, though I'm not
            > certain.
            >
            > The fact that McKenzie had a kilt and hose however
            > indicates to me that, he wore them occasionally
            > to play the pipes. When and where is anyone's
            > guess. I might point out too that other evidence
            > indicates that the kilt was used by the 71st
            > for garrison duty, so it's possible that the kilt
            > listing isn't anything special with regards to

          • Alexander McCracken Good
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 1, 2009
              --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, DelRev225th@... wrote:

              Yep. Life's good with regards to tartan. At
              least in garrison and during the winter. :^)

              Alex

              > Kilt AND tartan trousers!
              >
              > Kim
              > W3R-USA
              >

              > In a message dated 3/1/2009 6:29:37 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
              > agood@... writes:
              >
              > 1 kilt at do - 12-
              > To Altering your Clothing - 1- 6
              > To 1 shirt at Camden 21st June 1780 -10-10 ½
              > To 1 pr shoes at do Do - 8- 6

              > To Cash pd. Lieut Robert Campbell 1-17- 4
              > To Thread for your Tartan Trousers 7
              >

              > **************A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in
              just 2 easy
              > steps!
              > (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1218822736x1201267884/aol?
              redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%
              3D668072%26hmpgID

              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 1, 2009
                --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "raynersteve" <steverayner@...> wrote:

                Me too. I'm hugely looking forward to reading the
                whole letter.

              • Malcolm Angus MacWilliam
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 1, 2009
                  Well done, Alex. Keep us posted.
                  Slainte'

                  Malcolm MacWm.
                  42nd RHR GrenCoy
                  ASM, British Brigade
                • daniel oconnell
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 1, 2009
                    weird... look at the price of a knapsack during King Phillip's War,
                    exactly the same price

                    Richard Pettingell:

                    In King Philip's War Richard supplied for the troops cheese at 19s., a
                    pair of bandoleers 3s., bullets 6d., a pound of powder and a worm 2s.,
                    a horse for 20 weeks 30s., a knapsack 2s. 6d., a saddle and bridle
                    22s. He asked 5s. for curing a horse. [Records and Files, VI:448, 449,
                    454].

                    O'Connell
                    www.kings8th.com

                  • Michael Manning
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 2, 2009
                      wrote:

                      > The fact that McKenzie had a kilt and hose however
                      > indicates to me that, he wore them occasionally
                      > to play the pipes.

                      Based on my experience at Fort Ti a few years back, he likely piped in
                      the evening, around the campfire, playing the theme from Star Wars over
                      and over and over.
                    • Don N. Hagist
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 2, 2009
                        In the accounting below, I don't think that "knapsack money" is the
                        same thing as "cost of a knapsack". This will require reading up on
                        some of the arcane army accounting practices, but I believe that
                        "knapsack money" was a term for an allowance of funds for some reason,
                        similar to things like "batt & forage money", "waistcoat allowance"
                        and other things.
                        If I have an opportunity I'll look it up - but please feel free to
                        check some period military texts and let me know if I'm misinformed.
                        Don N. Hagist
                        http://revolutionaryimprints.com

                        --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "daniel oconnell"
                        <todanieloconnell@...> wrote:

                        > weird... look at the price of a knapsack during King Phillip's War,
                        > exactly the same price
                        >

                        > --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "raynersteve" <steverayner@> wrote:

                        > > That reference to knapsack money at 2s. 6d. rings a bell...
                        > >

                        > > > Contra Cr
                        > > >
                        > > > Balance due to 24 June 1779 4 - 2 - 5½
                        > > > Pay from 24 June 1779 to 24 June 1780 at
                        > > > 6d per day being 9 - 2 - 6
                        > > > Kings Bounty - 12 -2
                        > > > Wilmingtown prize money - 7 - 8
                        > > > Knapsack money - 2 - 6
                        > > > TOTAL 14 - 7 - 3 ½

                      • daniel oconnell
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 2, 2009
                          Don et al:

                          I also came across a straight forward accounting of accoutrements for
                          an English Militia in 1768 and the amount paid for a knapsack is 2 and
                          6, a very odd chance being the same.

                          I bookmarked the source and will forward it to the Revlist as well as
                          your address. I'll have to send an image rather than a click-copy.

                          If I recall when I entered " 2s. 6d. knapsack " and put that in google
                          books a raft of references came up.

                          In any case I'll forward the citing to you and the list. I 'supposing'
                          which is akin to social suicide on this Revlist but it occured to me
                          that perhaps the Army had fixed rates that were stable for decades. Oh
                          boy... I'll get out my Kevlar.

                          O'Connell
                          www.kings8th.com

                          --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "Don N. Hagist" <dhagist@...> wrote:

                          > In the accounting below, I don't think that "knapsack money" is the
                          > same thing as "cost of a knapsack". This will require reading up on
                          > some of the arcane army accounting practices, but I believe that
                          > "knapsack money" was a term for an allowance of funds for some reason,
                          > similar to things like "batt & forage money", "waistcoat allowance"
                          > and other things.
                          > If I have an opportunity I'll look it up - but please feel free to
                          > check some period military texts and let me know if I'm misinformed.
                          > Don N. Hagist
                          > http://revolutionaryimprints.com
                          >
                          > --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "daniel oconnell"
                          > <todanieloconnell@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > weird... look at the price of a knapsack during King Phillip's War,
                          > > exactly the same price
                          > >

                          > > --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "raynersteve" <steverayner@> wrote:
                          >
                          > > > That reference to knapsack money at 2s. 6d. rings a bell...

                        • daniel oconnell
                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 2, 2009
                            Steve

                            Isn't the daily rate of a soldier also 2 shillings 6 pence? That might
                            be one of the bells going off as well as the cost of a knapsack.

                            Odd.

                            O'Connell
                            www.kings8th.com

                            > That reference to knapsack money at 2s. 6d. rings a bell...
                            >
                            > Best Regards,
                            >
                            > Steve Rayner
                          • raynersteve
                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 2, 2009
                              Hi Don, Dan & All;

                              The reference I was thinking of was

                              Message #19121 Thu Jun 1, 2000 6:27 am

                              A Revlist post by Jay Callaham, which contains some other documents too.

                              -------

                              [Extract:]

                              Memo Mathew to Loudoun 28 Feb. 1776
                              "Estimate of the Extra expence of the Necessary Equipment of the
                              Detachment
                              from the Brigd. of Foot Guards Intended for Foreign Service"

                              "a Cloak (if Objected to, to be Dispenced With) -. 11.-
                              a pr. of Leggens 4.6
                              2 pr. of Trowsers 5.-
                              a Cap -.6
                              2 pr. of Mittens 1.2
                              2 pr. of half Gaters 2.-
                              a Check Shirt 3.9
                              2 pr. of Shoe Soles & Heels 2.4
                              3 pr. of Socks 1.3
                              Alteration of the Mens Knapsacks .6
                              ___
                              "Necessarys to be furnished for the Detachment by the Company's ---" NO
                              DATE but from the same time period:

                              "3 Shirts
                              3 pr. of worsted Stockings
                              3 pr. of Socks
                              3 pr. of shoes. Two
                              2 pr of Soles and heels. Three
                              2 Black Stocks
                              2 pr of Half Gaiters--Linen
                              1 Check Shirt
                              1 Knapsack 2S/6d to be received from Government in lieu of it.
                              Pricker, worm and Turnkey.--
                              1 Nightcap

                              Extra proposed
                              1 pr. of Leggins
                              2 pr. of Trowsers
                              2 pr. of Mittens
                              Cloak (if approved)"

                              [verso] "Necessarys for the Detacht to be furnished by the Captains out of
                              the Stoppages and the Extra Necessaries" ( -- LO 10468 transcribed by
                              Jim Kochan)

                              "List of Waggons, Tents, Camp necessaries &ca for the Detachment from the
                              Three Regiments of Foot Guards, consisting with their Officers of 1097 men
                              destined to Serve in North America. February 5th 1776."
                              6 Waggons . . . . From the Ordnance
                              224 Tents
                              12 Bell Tents
                              12 Silk Camp Colours
                              20 Drum Cases
                              224 Tin Kettles with Canvas Bags
                              448 Hand Hatchets, being 2 pr. Tent To be ordered by the
                              Colonels
                              1062 Water Flasks with Strings
                              1062 Haversacks
                              1062 Knapsacks
                              10 Powder Bags..."
                              (Loudoun p.213) (see also WO4/96 p.45 7 Feb. 1776 Barrington to Loudoun)

                              ---------

                              This is essentially a raw form of what appeared in Bill Burke's MC&H
                              article.

                              It's basically something interesting on the plus side of the Soldier's
                              account book. That's where it must have rang the bell.

                              Thanks and Best Regards,

                              Steve Rayner