Geo. Washington's manservant

  • Ed Dougherty
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 1999
      Hi All,
      Can anyone tell me the role Bishop played in Washington's life. I always thought Billy Lee was his man servant, but recently read about a man named Bishop who was to hold Washington's horse while he went into Major Chamberlayne's house to pay his respects. It was then he met Martha and poor Bishop was left standing for a very long time. It seems that Bishop stayed on at MT. Vernon even after he was retired and could no longer work. Any information and documentation would be appreciated.
      Karen
    • BFinfr8265@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 2, 1999
        Karen:

        I have put in a call to my old professor, one of the foremost GW experts and
        a published scholar on the father of our country. He has also done extensive
        work with the slaves at Mount Vernon, so any information on Bishop will be
        forthcoming shortly.

        I will get back to you soon...,

        Brad