Re: Grenadier Officers

  • Luke Fryer
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 1, 2008
      I think the source our French Grenadier unit uses for our match cases
      it this http://www.smokingironalterations.com/, Smoking Iron
      Alterations. I just looked at there catalog but did see it. I would
      suggest in giving them a call, I don't remember them being that
      expenise.

      -Luke Fryer
    • eric_schnitzer@nps.gov
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 1, 2008
        Based solely on known period grenadier officer portraiture, and then only
        on those who were decked out in their complete uniforms, including the
        pouch and belt (a minority, sadly) it appears the percentage of those
        wearing match cases may have been about 50/50. Mind you, this is only via
        the few known portraiture and artist studies of such officers, and not
        necessarily what was worn in the field, on campaign, etc etc. And as has
        been stated before, some regiments had a return of zero match cases in
        their inventory (the 24th Regiment, for example), and so its rather likely
        that their officers didn't wear them either.

        Some grenadier officers portrayed with match cases from our period:

        Lt Charles Watson, 25th Regt (Steve mentioned this)
        Lt John Hutchinson (this is the one I have which Bob Fry mentioned. I have
        a detail of it here: http://www.62ndregiment.org/officer_arms.htm)

        Interestingly, the 1792 Edward Dayes prints of the three FG regiments show
        both the privates and sergeants wearing match cases.

        I am,
        Your Most Humble Servant,
        Eric Schnitzer
        Lieutenant, 62d Regiment of Foot

        "The rebel officers' behavior is admirable; their discipline is just as good
        as though they belonged to real regiments and were real soldiers."

        --Brigadier WR von Gall to The Prince of Hessen-Hanau, Cambridge, MA, 16 March 1778

        --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, Steve Rayner <steverayner@...> wrote:

        > Hi Bob;
        >
        > That sounds really interesting! Can you tell us more about it?
        >
        > It would be especially interesting to know if the portrait was
        painted in America, England or elsewhere, because it seems that
        Grenadiers continued to wear the match case in England, but they were
        discontinued during the course of the war in America. This led to
        the match case being discontinued in 1784. I can't say for sure if
        that order was supposed to apply to the Foot Guards.

        > There is the portrait of Charles Watson of the 25th, with a match
        case and fully tricked out as a Grenadier Officer, in Barthorp's book.

        > There is a lot of good discussion and documentation in the Revliste
        archives on the subject of match cases.

        > Best Regards,
        >
        > Steve Rayner
        >
        > ________________________________
        >Hi Steve
        I do not know who this is or what Regiment. It could be the 25th as
        you mentioned. Again Eric Schnitzer would have much more info. He may
        check this list tomorrow and comment about it so stay tuned.
        Cheers
        Bob Fry

        .

      • John
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 1, 2008
          Ah, isn't it amazing how there's always an exception to the rule?
          Perhaps we are safe in the assumption that, more often than not,
          officers didn't have match cases but occasionally did?

          Thanks for everyone's thoughts.

          John

          > Greetings list
          > I have a copy of a image of a grenny officer wearing a match case on
          > his pouch belt. The source is from the Eric Schnitzer collection of
          > period images. He may have more in his collection. In this image the
          > officer is wearing his gorget, pouch, holds a fuzil, wears his sword
          > and bayonet belt over the shoulder, and has his bearskin on.
          > Cheers
          > Bob Fry

        • Steve Rayner
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 1, 2008
            Hi All;

            Here is another view of Grenadier Officers:

            http://www.national-army-museum.ac.uk/exhibitions/shortVisits/animals/page10.shtml

            http://www.national-army-museum.ac.uk/exhibitions/shortVisits/animals/page6.shtml

            Or, Google �National Army Museum� �Regimental Dog�

            Nice portrait of a group of Officers of the 25th Regiment of Foot in the transitional 1768 era. Two Officers of Grenadiers, both dressed for duty. Neither wears a match case.

            Perhaps nother possible way to get and idea of whether or not the match case (and other accoutrements) might be worn, is to check the writings of Officers of the regiment of interest and ask ourselves, �What would they do?�

            Best Regards,

            Steve Rayner

            To: Revlist@yahoogroups.com
            From: the35thregiment@...
            Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 14:05:05 +0000
            Subject: [Revlist] Re: Grenadier Officers

            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 1, 2008
              Fort Ticonderoga,
              250th Anniversary of the Battle of Carillon
              June 27 - July 8
              In July 1758, British General Abercromby led an army of 16,000 British and Colonial troops against a small French force of 3200 entrenched at Fort Carillon. On July 8 the forces were engaged on the heights just north of the Fort after Montcalm's forces had hastily thrown up earthwork fortifications. The Battle of Carillon lasted several hours during which time Abercromby lost over 1900 men, a third of whom were members of the 42nd Regiment of Foot, also known as the Highlanders, or the "Black Watch" Regiment. Despite being outnumbered 4 to 1, the French forces prevailed. In honor of this victory, the French erected a cross on the Battle site. 2008 is going to be the 250th Anniversary of this battle, which will be commemorated by reenactors in historic clothing, troop formations and inspections, ceremonies, battle reenactments.

              Kim W3R-USA

              and click "Join This List."

              TO UNSUBSCRIBE: please send a message to
              Revlist-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
              with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Joseph Harshaw
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 1, 2008
                Thanks !

                Joe 2SC