Re: [Revlist] Re: Searching for red-checked stockings

  • John Ogden
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1 7:58 AM
      Sgt,
      That's why Graham's Co'y moved on quickly to the woven/cut/sewn version
      of the stockings.

      John Ogden (formerly Cpl. Iain MacIntyre, Graham's Co'y, 42nd RHR, Fort Pitt
      garrison 1763-67)

      On 4/1/08, rfoxfire1745@... <rfoxfire1745@...> wrote:

      > The knit socks may be well made and cheep but the material and
      > construction
      > are for modern use.The time period we are in calls for woven wool bag
      > hose.
      > If you use a pattern you will be able to make them to fit you, they should
      > not
      > be a baggy looking sack.
      > The woven material will hold up well to use and should not snag in the
      > brush. The knit socks will pull out quickly looking like s+++.
      >
      > Rich Fox
      > SGT MacGregor 42 nd RHG
      >
      > **************Create a Home Theater Like the Pros. Watch the video on AOL
      > Home.
      > (
      > http://home.aol.com/diy/home-improvement-eric-stromer?video=15&ncid=aolhom00030000000001
      > )

      John J. Ogden
      Hanley School of Law
      Duquesne University
      Class of 2011

      Madison, June 20, 1785

    • gabi shopp
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1 11:39 AM
        William Booth Draper has the fabric..correct down to the fine black line......

        "Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all"

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1 4:29 PM
          Hi Myles,

          Well, if you're talking about a period authentic pair
          of diced hose for an F/I type impression, then I'd agree
          that William Booth and Draper is probably your best bet.
          Period hose was cut from wool cloth to a pattern and then
          made to form fit the leg for those wearing it. There were
          both red and white checked pairs, and red and white checks
          with a black line seperating them. You'd need to find out
          which one is correct for whatever impression you're
          recreating.

          I THINK William Booth and Draper also sells a hose pattern,
          but if they don't, you can get the Kannik's Korner long
          hose pattern and simply cut the pattern at the knee
          measurement.

          You want the Stockings, Pockets, and Mitts pattern:

          http://www.kannikskorner.com/pataccess.htm

          Good luck,

          Alex,
          76th Foot

          > Would anyone perhaps have advice on where one
          might acquire a pair of red-checked stockings appropriate
          to a 1758 Black Watch regimental impression? I have found
          very nice high quality pairs in the UK for a paltry $200
          USD per pair, however I am sincerely hoping there is a
          slightly more practical alternative available(?)

          > -Myles
        • Drum Major
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 2 7:43 PM
            Thanks to all for the fine information and advice! I was aware of the historical accuracy of bag hose, however, as I need them rather quickly for what will be very limited use, I am under the circumstances, prepared to take the easy way out on this particular point of history and opt for knitted ones. As it happens, I also just came across JHiggins today, and will look into the other fine resources offered as well.

            With appreciation.

            YHS,

            -Myles