Re: East India Company

  • robertaselig
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 1, 2008
      Salut --

      I've been trying for years to get an audience for a lecture on the
      AWI as a World War with a particular focus on India -- but alas. No
      one has been interested yet. There would be many fascinating stories
      to tell, e.g., who knew that there were over 2,800 Hanoverian troops
      in India by 1782 fighting for the King of Great Britain, who also
      happened to be the Elector of Hanover?

      Bob
      ============
      --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, DelRev225th@... wrote:

      > I am intrigued by the idea. There are more & more students whose
      parents are from India. Most are excellent students and this might
      be a fascinating way to help them connect to American history. In
      fact, the first time I ever heard of General Cornwallis, many moons
      ago, was from a medical doctor from India, Narrander Singh, who
      loves history and was fascinated by the role Cornwallis played here
      in the States.

      > Kim W3R-USA

    • John Gardner
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 1, 2008
        Interesting thought, Bob! I've actually done a couple presentations on this, perhaps ten years ago. I emphasized the naval side, but included a lot about Haider Ali vs. British East India Company. Some Indian historians see the AWI as the starting point of Indian nationalism.
        Every 4th of July, the William Paca House in Annapolis, MD, holds a large naturalization ceremony as part of the celebration. I have talked with the new citizens about the Revolution as a world war and how it relates to the history of their former countries. The Indians have been both knowledgeable and interested, as have Hispanics.
        Any suggestions as to sources? I've always liked the Dupuy's book, The American Revolution: A Global War, but it is almost impossible to find.
        Jack Gardner

      • avalon forge
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 3, 2008
          For anyone who is interested in the book Jack refers to, several copies
          can be found at http://www.abebooks.com/ The least expensive is less
          than $2.

          --
          John White