Re: [Revlist] Re: Searching for red-checked stockings

  • John Ogden
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2008
      When I was actively pursuing an F&I Highlander impression, we first bought
      the knit hose from J. Higgins, as described by Dave, because they were
      readily available and not murderously expensive. We then went on to acquire
      the fabric to make bag hose as these are more correct. I believe that Wm.
      Booth, Draper ( http://www.wmboothdraper.com/ ) has the appropriate fabric
      for that project. I used the hose pattern found in Colonial French Clothing
      (or something to that effect), available from Smoke & Fire among other
      sutlers. Came out pretty well.

      --
      John J. Ogden
      Hanley School of Law

      Madison, June 20, 1785

    • rfoxfire1745@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2008
        The knit socks may be well made and cheep but the material and construction
        are for modern use.The time period we are in calls for woven wool bag hose.
        If you use a pattern you will be able to make them to fit you, they should not
        be a baggy looking sack.
        The woven material will hold up well to use and should not snag in the
        brush. The knit socks will pull out quickly looking like s+++.

        Rich Fox
        SGT MacGregor 42 nd RHG

        Home.

      • John Ogden
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1, 2008
          Sgt,
          That's why Graham's Co'y moved on quickly to the woven/cut/sewn version
          of the stockings.

          John Ogden (formerly Cpl. Iain MacIntyre, Graham's Co'y, 42nd RHR, Fort Pitt
          garrison 1763-67)

          On 4/1/08, rfoxfire1745@... <rfoxfire1745@...> wrote:

          > The knit socks may be well made and cheep but the material and
          > construction
          > are for modern use.The time period we are in calls for woven wool bag
          > hose.
          > If you use a pattern you will be able to make them to fit you, they should
          > not
          > be a baggy looking sack.
          > The woven material will hold up well to use and should not snag in the
          > brush. The knit socks will pull out quickly looking like s+++.
          >
          > Rich Fox
          > SGT MacGregor 42 nd RHG
          >
          > **************Create a Home Theater Like the Pros. Watch the video on AOL
          > Home.
          > (
          > http://home.aol.com/diy/home-improvement-eric-stromer?video=15&ncid=aolhom00030000000001
          > )

          John J. Ogden
          Hanley School of Law
          Duquesne University
          Class of 2011

          Madison, June 20, 1785

        • gabi shopp
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 1, 2008
            William Booth Draper has the fabric..correct down to the fine black line......

            "Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all"

            Would anyone perhaps have advice on where one might acquire a pair of
            red-checked stockings appropriate to a 1758 Black Watch regimental
            impression? I have found very nice high quality pairs in the UK for a
            paltry $200 USD per pair, however I am sincerely hoping there is a
            slightly more practical alternative available(?)

            YHS,

            -Myles

          • Alexander McCracken Good
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 1, 2008
              Hi Myles,

              Well, if you're talking about a period authentic pair
              of diced hose for an F/I type impression, then I'd agree
              that William Booth and Draper is probably your best bet.
              Period hose was cut from wool cloth to a pattern and then
              made to form fit the leg for those wearing it. There were
              both red and white checked pairs, and red and white checks
              with a black line seperating them. You'd need to find out
              which one is correct for whatever impression you're
              recreating.

              I THINK William Booth and Draper also sells a hose pattern,
              but if they don't, you can get the Kannik's Korner long
              hose pattern and simply cut the pattern at the knee
              measurement.

              You want the Stockings, Pockets, and Mitts pattern:

              http://www.kannikskorner.com/pataccess.htm

              Good luck,

              Alex,
              76th Foot

              > Would anyone perhaps have advice on where one
              might acquire a pair of red-checked stockings appropriate
              to a 1758 Black Watch regimental impression? I have found
              very nice high quality pairs in the UK for a paltry $200
              USD per pair, however I am sincerely hoping there is a
              slightly more practical alternative available(?)

              > -Myles
            • Drum Major
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 2, 2008
                Thanks to all for the fine information and advice! I was aware of the historical accuracy of bag hose, however, as I need them rather quickly for what will be very limited use, I am under the circumstances, prepared to take the easy way out on this particular point of history and opt for knitted ones. As it happens, I also just came across JHiggins today, and will look into the other fine resources offered as well.

                With appreciation.

                YHS,

                -Myles