Re: Searching for red-checked stockings

  • David Marquis
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2008
      I bought a pair of these about 4 years ago, and they are holding up
      great, they are knit and not 'bag hose', but then again they stay up
      very well! J. Higgins is the store, in PA I think;

      http://www.jhiggins.net/sf_proddetail.asp?sf_p_ID=IN5C13U5H96439H51F6K1QVR78

      Can't beat it for $60

      David

      --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "mylesmrfa" <DrumMajorMCV@...> wrote:

      > List,
      >
      > Would anyone perhaps have advice on where one might acquire a pair of
      > red-checked stockings appropriate to a 1758 Black Watch regimental
      > impression? I have found very nice high quality pairs in the UK for a
      > paltry $200 USD per pair, however I am sincerely hoping there is a
      > slightly more practical alternative available(?)

      > YHS,
      >
      > -Myles

    • John Ogden
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2008
        When I was actively pursuing an F&I Highlander impression, we first bought
        the knit hose from J. Higgins, as described by Dave, because they were
        readily available and not murderously expensive. We then went on to acquire
        the fabric to make bag hose as these are more correct. I believe that Wm.
        Booth, Draper ( http://www.wmboothdraper.com/ ) has the appropriate fabric
        for that project. I used the hose pattern found in Colonial French Clothing
        (or something to that effect), available from Smoke & Fire among other
        sutlers. Came out pretty well.

        --
        John J. Ogden
        Hanley School of Law

        Madison, June 20, 1785

      • rfoxfire1745@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1, 2008
          The knit socks may be well made and cheep but the material and construction
          are for modern use.The time period we are in calls for woven wool bag hose.
          If you use a pattern you will be able to make them to fit you, they should not
          be a baggy looking sack.
          The woven material will hold up well to use and should not snag in the
          brush. The knit socks will pull out quickly looking like s+++.

          Rich Fox
          SGT MacGregor 42 nd RHG

          Home.

        • John Ogden
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 1, 2008
            Sgt,
            That's why Graham's Co'y moved on quickly to the woven/cut/sewn version
            of the stockings.

            John Ogden (formerly Cpl. Iain MacIntyre, Graham's Co'y, 42nd RHR, Fort Pitt
            garrison 1763-67)

            On 4/1/08, rfoxfire1745@... <rfoxfire1745@...> wrote:

            > The knit socks may be well made and cheep but the material and
            > construction
            > are for modern use.The time period we are in calls for woven wool bag
            > hose.
            > If you use a pattern you will be able to make them to fit you, they should
            > not
            > be a baggy looking sack.
            > The woven material will hold up well to use and should not snag in the
            > brush. The knit socks will pull out quickly looking like s+++.
            >
            > Rich Fox
            > SGT MacGregor 42 nd RHG
            >
            > **************Create a Home Theater Like the Pros. Watch the video on AOL
            > Home.
            > (
            > http://home.aol.com/diy/home-improvement-eric-stromer?video=15&ncid=aolhom00030000000001
            > )

            John J. Ogden
            Hanley School of Law
            Duquesne University
            Class of 2011

            Madison, June 20, 1785

          • gabi shopp
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 1, 2008
              William Booth Draper has the fabric..correct down to the fine black line......

              "Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all"

              Would anyone perhaps have advice on where one might acquire a pair of
              red-checked stockings appropriate to a 1758 Black Watch regimental
              impression? I have found very nice high quality pairs in the UK for a
              paltry $200 USD per pair, however I am sincerely hoping there is a
              slightly more practical alternative available(?)

              YHS,

              -Myles

            • Alexander McCracken Good
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 1, 2008
                Hi Myles,

                Well, if you're talking about a period authentic pair
                of diced hose for an F/I type impression, then I'd agree
                that William Booth and Draper is probably your best bet.
                Period hose was cut from wool cloth to a pattern and then
                made to form fit the leg for those wearing it. There were
                both red and white checked pairs, and red and white checks
                with a black line seperating them. You'd need to find out
                which one is correct for whatever impression you're
                recreating.

                I THINK William Booth and Draper also sells a hose pattern,
                but if they don't, you can get the Kannik's Korner long
                hose pattern and simply cut the pattern at the knee
                measurement.

                You want the Stockings, Pockets, and Mitts pattern:

                http://www.kannikskorner.com/pataccess.htm

                Good luck,

                Alex,
                76th Foot

                > Would anyone perhaps have advice on where one
                might acquire a pair of red-checked stockings appropriate
                to a 1758 Black Watch regimental impression? I have found
                very nice high quality pairs in the UK for a paltry $200
                USD per pair, however I am sincerely hoping there is a
                slightly more practical alternative available(?)

                > -Myles
              • Drum Major
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 2, 2008
                  Thanks to all for the fine information and advice! I was aware of the historical accuracy of bag hose, however, as I need them rather quickly for what will be very limited use, I am under the circumstances, prepared to take the easy way out on this particular point of history and opt for knitted ones. As it happens, I also just came across JHiggins today, and will look into the other fine resources offered as well.

                  With appreciation.

                  YHS,

                  -Myles