Re: Battle of Newtown

  • Bill Baldwin
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 1, 2008
      Hello,
      Yes,beware that there is indeed a FICTIONAL novel by the author
      Blackwood of the same title.You should consider the finely done
      historically accurate account by Glenn L. Williams with the sub-
      title "George Washington's Campaign Against the Iroquois"
      Familiarity with the Iroquios Confederacy and Loyalist activity is
      essential and well presented.
      WB
      --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "stephenguenther"
      <stephenguenther@...> wrote:

      > I looke don half.com and amazon.com and it looks to be a litte
      cheaper
      > on amazon. Now is that historic fiction, or is it non-fiction?
      > (primary source?)
      >
      > --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Baldwin" <wcflevers@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello,
      > > Check "Year of the Hangman" by Glen F. Williams,ISBN 1-59416-
      013-
      > 9
      > > Westholme Pub.Co.
      > > No doubt Half.com has a few copies.Good read.
      > > WB

    • ctoakes
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 1, 2008
        <<<<<<<
        Battle of Newtown Posted by: "stephenguenther" stephenguenther@... stephenguenther
        Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:36 am (PDT) What are some good books to read on this? Is there any on the British
        views/accounts?I live near the battlefield and would like to learn about it before
        the re-enactment this August....steve>>>>>>>>>>>
        Good day Steve, One of the local historical societies reprinted the Journals of the campaign and it is usually available at the event. All Continental but worth the reading. There is a little bit of info in Mary Jamesons journal which is on line, search for White Woman of the Genesee. And Butlers letters talk about it but I have yet to see a reprint of those. Year of the Hangman is a good book as is Forgotten Allies which is the story of the Oneidas' that fought with the Continentals.

        Y.M.O.S.

        C. T. Oakes
        585-226-6797

      • thirdnewhampshire
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 1, 2008
          You can also find a pdf version of the Sullivan Journals with a Google
          Book search.

          Sandy Walker
        • Glenn Williams
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 1, 2008
            Dear Friends and Fellow Historians,

            Bill and C. T., thanks for the kind words and mentioning "Year of the Hangman: George Washington's Campaign Against the Iroquois " (Westholme 2005) by yours truly.

            It is about the war on the frontier from 1777 to 1779, with the Sullivan-Clinton and Brodhead Expeditions as its climax. You may be interested to note that my working title was "Not Merely Overrun But Destroy," from Washington's orders to Sullivan. It's a long story that I will spare everyone of on how the "Hangman" title came about. The fictional book, by the way, is "THE Year of the Hangman," whereas mine does not have "THE". Also, my middle initial, by the way, is "F".

            I relied on primary source documentation, British as well as American, both Continental and Militia, and civil government; in addition to captivity narratives, equally accessing well known and not so well known, and both pro-British ones such as the "White Seneca" Mary Jemison's, and pro-American ones, like that of Luke Swetland, who was grateful to be liberated from the Seneca by Sullivan's troops - and who related the effect on the morale on the Indian warriors and Butler's Rangers that is greatly at odds with the assessments of John Butler and Joseph Brant.

            Of the Continentals, although I used the collection published by Cook, I found a number of journals, diaries and personal papers not found in that publication, but in other repositories, like the New York Public Library and Pennsylvania Archives. Surprisingly, I also found that many of the Crown sources do not agree with some of the often repeated misperceptions about the Sullivan expedition that abound in other narratives of the event (both by some American authors, as well as Cruickshank's oft-cited "history" of Butler's Rangers), and which supported my thesis that the campaign accomplished all its assigned missions,. The British sources also confirmed its success and overall effectiveness!

            The best Crown accounts are to be found in the Haldimand Papers copies/ transcripts of Archives Canada.

            See: http://hnn.us/roundup/entries/48644.html No, I did not write the article on the link.

            Best Regards,

            Glenn

            ctoakes <ctoakes@...> wrote:
            <<<<<<<
[...]

          • marysvr
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 1, 2008
              History, non-fiction.

              --Mary S.

              <stephenguenther@...> wrote:

              > I looke don half.com and amazon.com and it looks to be a litte
              cheaper
              > on amazon. Now is that historic fiction, or is it non-fiction?
              > (primary source?)
              >
              > --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Baldwin" <wcflevers@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hello,
              > > Check "Year of the Hangman" by Glen F. Williams,ISBN 1-59416-
              013-
              > 9
              > > Westholme Pub.Co.
              > > No doubt Half.com has a few copies.Good read.
              > > WB

            • Glenn Williams
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 22, 2008
                Major Smith,

                Forgive the length of time for this reply, but to do so had slipped my mind.

                I believe John Jenkins was an ensign in the militia at the time of his capture while leading a scout up the Susquehanna in October 1777. The two Wyoming Independent Companies had been ordered to join the Main Army in December 1776, and the home defense company of Captain Dethic Hewitt - militia in the pay of Congress for a one-year term of active service - was not formed until May or June 1778, about the time Jenkins returned to the valley. If memory serves, I believe the records show that he became an officer in that company on his return, and thus entered Continental service.

                Because they were in the pay of Congress, they were considered in some respects Continentals - and are described as such in some primary source accounts. Although paid at the same rate as Continentals, however, they were required to provide their own weapons and accouterments. Congress later authorized the payment of stipend for doing so.

                I believe in my research, the records show that Jenkins was taken to Fort Niagara after capture for the winter of 1777-78, but escaped when being moved to Canadesega, at about the same time Major John Butler was meeting there with the principal Iroquois war leaders to plan the attack on the Wyoming Valley.

                Jenkins arrived back in the Wyoming in June (I believe) 1778, just before Butlers Rangers and their Indian allies launched their attack, and joined Hewitt's company. And he did command the stay-behind garrison at Forty Fort during the fateful engagement of 3 July, due to his reduced physical condition resulting from the ordeal of his escape. If memory serves, he then escaped with Zebulon Butler and the surviving Continentals (and militia in the pay of Congress) just before Colonel Dennison surrendered to John Butler on 4 July, and joined the reconstituted Wyoming Independent Company, and Continental Army, at that time.

                Best Regards,

                Glenn

                jbsmith@... wrote:
                Members,
                John Jenkins was a Continental Officer who left the Wyoming Valley
                and the 24th Connecticut Militia Regiment to join the Continental
                Line. He was back in the Wyoming Valley for the Wyoming Massacre on
                July 3, 1778. He was captured by Butler's Rangers before the Battle
                when Jenkin Fort surrendered and was paroled. Before Forty-Fort
                surrendered on July 4th he and Zebulon Butler, another Line officer,
                took off on horseback so that they would not be captured. He came
                back to the Valley with the Hartley Expedition and then as a guide for
                the Sullivan Expedition with other men from the 24th Connecticut
                Militia Regiment.
                "And now you know the rest of the story." - Paul Harvey
                Jeff Smith
                Quoting rev1005 <vincetc@...>:

                > Mjr Smith,
                >
                > Sorry this posting is longish, but for more on Newtown, yu may find
                > in reports etc of
                > Sullivans march.
                >

                > Cook, Frederick, Journals of the Military Expedition of Major
                > General John Sullivan Against
                > the Six Nations of Indians in 1799, New York, 1885. (Reprint by
                > Heritage Books, Bowie,
                > MD., 2000)
                > Journals Referenced: Hubley, Adam, Lieutenant Col, 11th PA Rgt.
                > Rogers, Rev. William, Chaplain, Hand's Brigade
                > Shute, Samuel, Lieutenant, Second New Jersey
                > McKendry, William, Quartermaster, Sixth Mass. Regt.
                > Beatty, Erkuries, Lieutenant, 4th Penn Line
                > Jenkins, John, Lieutenant, (No unit given, listed as a guide for the Army.)
                > Burrowes, John, Major, 5th New Jersey
                > Grant, George, Sergeant Major, 3rd New Jersey
                > Dearborn, Henry, Lieutenant Col, 3rd New Hampshire (Scammel's) Regiment
                > Fellows, Moses, Sergeant, 3rd New Hampshire Regiment
                > Norris, James, Major, 3rd New Hampshire Regiment
                > Sullivan, John, Major General. (Note: This were not journals, but
                > the reports sent to Gen
                > Washington, {Newtown, Aug 30,1779} And Congress {Expedition, Sept. 30, 1779})
                >
                > Merrifield, Edward, Luke Swetland's Captivity and Rescue From the
                > Indians, Scranton, PA,
                > 1915 (Reprint by Wennawoods Publishing, Lewisburg, PA., 1998.)
                >
                > I remain, your Humbl & most Obdt Svnt,
                > Chas Vincent
                > above shirtees Creek at Ft Pitt
                > 'they have a saying here: Pensylvania is heaven for farmers,
                > paradise for artisans, and
                > hell for officials and preachers.'
                >
                > --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "W. Scott Smith" <scott@...> wrote:
                >> We'd be interested in more information about this event. If memory serves,
                >> one of our chainmen was killed while working for Lt. Benjamin Lodge, a
                >> surveyor from a Pennsylvania Regiment and under the command of Geographer to
                >> the Army Robert Erskine.

              • Joyce Bucci
                Message 7 of 23 , Aug 3 12:41 PM
                  This is a reminder to all units who are interested in participating in the Battle of Newtown Rev War event, August 27 & 28. If you are planning to attend, you need to register as soon as possible so that we can have a good idea of numbers. Even if Delos Wheeler and Paul Perine have been told verbally that you are coming, we still need for you to put through a registration. We have about 260 or so registered, so far. We'd sure like to see more!

                  To register, go to www.chemungvalley.org and click on the link to the registration form. Please be sure to fill it out completely, including your contact information.

                  Also, we have been contacted by Rich King Casting, of Los Angeles, California. They have been hired to cast the upcoming movie being produced by the Oneida Nation, titled "First Allies." They are looking for military for both sides, and for Native warriors. Rich King is planning to be at our event to talk with re-enactors and to observe a re-enactment. Being from Los Angeles, he has never seen one. There will be no filming... just looking for cast members. If anyone is interested in trying out for this movie, you can come to our event and talk to him personally. I would suggest that you bring along photos of yourself in period dress, including a head shot. Or he can be contacted at 323-993-0100, or emailed at richkingcasting@.... His website is: http://www.richkingcasting.net/index.php

                  Thanks!
                  Joyce Bucci
                  Chemung Valley Living History

                • ebolton123
                  Message 8 of 23 , Aug 3 2:52 PM
                    Joyce,
                    I just registered the Associators. Looking forward to it !
                    Cheers,
                    Bob Bolton
                    Pa. Associators

                    Message 9 of 23 , Aug 17 9:54 AM
                      For those units who have registered for the Battle of Newtown Rev War event --

                      Please be aware that the entrance to Newtown Battlefield State Park has changed, due to the construction of I-86. The online maps do not reflect this change, and it's doubtful that your GPS will. From Rte 17 -- which is becoming I-86 -- you must take exit 58, the Lowman exit. This will put you onto the brand new service road that will take you to the park entrance. This is the only way into the park, at this point. Unfortunately, the state has not gotten any new signage up yet, except for a couple of small signs that you can't see until after you have taken the exit ramp, so it's very easy to miss it if you don't know what to do.

                      For directions and a map, please go here: http://www.chemungvalley.org/Construction%20info.htm

                      For those who were there last year, it is the same. But if you haven't attended in a couple years or more, you need to know this. Unit commanders, please make certain that all of your people know about this to avoid someone getting lost and having to drive several miles out of their way to turn around.

                      Thanks!
                      Joyce Bucci

                      To: revlist@yahoogroups.com