Re: [Revlist] Searching for red-checked stockings

  • rfoxfire1745@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1 5:24 AM
      For the correct Diced War Hose that you seek contact Pat Kline of Heirloom
      Weavers in Red Lion Pa. phone # 717-246-5797 . He will have the material but
      you will need to construct the hoes to your own needs, or they would tell you
      what suppliers have it.

      Rich Fox
      SGT MacGregor 42 nd RHG

      Home.

    • David Marquis
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1 6:38 AM
        I bought a pair of these about 4 years ago, and they are holding up
        great, they are knit and not 'bag hose', but then again they stay up
        very well! J. Higgins is the store, in PA I think;

        http://www.jhiggins.net/sf_proddetail.asp?sf_p_ID=IN5C13U5H96439H51F6K1QVR78

        Can't beat it for $60

        David

        --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "mylesmrfa" <DrumMajorMCV@...> wrote:

        > List,
        >
        > Would anyone perhaps have advice on where one might acquire a pair of
        > red-checked stockings appropriate to a 1758 Black Watch regimental
        > impression? I have found very nice high quality pairs in the UK for a
        > paltry $200 USD per pair, however I am sincerely hoping there is a
        > slightly more practical alternative available(?)

        > YHS,
        >
        > -Myles

      • John Ogden
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1 6:49 AM
          When I was actively pursuing an F&I Highlander impression, we first bought
          the knit hose from J. Higgins, as described by Dave, because they were
          readily available and not murderously expensive. We then went on to acquire
          the fabric to make bag hose as these are more correct. I believe that Wm.
          Booth, Draper ( http://www.wmboothdraper.com/ ) has the appropriate fabric
          for that project. I used the hose pattern found in Colonial French Clothing
          (or something to that effect), available from Smoke & Fire among other
          sutlers. Came out pretty well.

          --
          John J. Ogden
          Hanley School of Law

          Madison, June 20, 1785

        • rfoxfire1745@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 1 7:44 AM
            The knit socks may be well made and cheep but the material and construction
            are for modern use.The time period we are in calls for woven wool bag hose.
            If you use a pattern you will be able to make them to fit you, they should not
            be a baggy looking sack.
            The woven material will hold up well to use and should not snag in the
            brush. The knit socks will pull out quickly looking like s+++.

            Rich Fox
            SGT MacGregor 42 nd RHG

            Home.

          • John Ogden
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 1 7:58 AM
              Sgt,
              That's why Graham's Co'y moved on quickly to the woven/cut/sewn version
              of the stockings.

              John Ogden (formerly Cpl. Iain MacIntyre, Graham's Co'y, 42nd RHR, Fort Pitt
              garrison 1763-67)

              On 4/1/08, rfoxfire1745@... <rfoxfire1745@...> wrote:

              > The knit socks may be well made and cheep but the material and
              > construction
              > are for modern use.The time period we are in calls for woven wool bag
              > hose.
              > If you use a pattern you will be able to make them to fit you, they should
              > not
              > be a baggy looking sack.
              > The woven material will hold up well to use and should not snag in the
              > brush. The knit socks will pull out quickly looking like s+++.
              >
              > Rich Fox
              > SGT MacGregor 42 nd RHG
              >
              > **************Create a Home Theater Like the Pros. Watch the video on AOL
              > Home.
              > (
              > http://home.aol.com/diy/home-improvement-eric-stromer?video=15&ncid=aolhom00030000000001
              > )

              John J. Ogden
              Hanley School of Law
              Duquesne University
              Class of 2011

              Madison, June 20, 1785

            • gabi shopp
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 1 11:39 AM
                William Booth Draper has the fabric..correct down to the fine black line......

                "Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all"

                Would anyone perhaps have advice on where one might acquire a pair of
                red-checked stockings appropriate to a 1758 Black Watch regimental
                impression? I have found very nice high quality pairs in the UK for a
                paltry $200 USD per pair, however I am sincerely hoping there is a
                slightly more practical alternative available(?)

                YHS,

                -Myles

              • Alexander McCracken Good
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 1 4:29 PM
                  Hi Myles,

                  Well, if you're talking about a period authentic pair
                  of diced hose for an F/I type impression, then I'd agree
                  that William Booth and Draper is probably your best bet.
                  Period hose was cut from wool cloth to a pattern and then
                  made to form fit the leg for those wearing it. There were
                  both red and white checked pairs, and red and white checks
                  with a black line seperating them. You'd need to find out
                  which one is correct for whatever impression you're
                  recreating.

                  I THINK William Booth and Draper also sells a hose pattern,
                  but if they don't, you can get the Kannik's Korner long
                  hose pattern and simply cut the pattern at the knee
                  measurement.

                  You want the Stockings, Pockets, and Mitts pattern:

                  http://www.kannikskorner.com/pataccess.htm

                  Good luck,

                  Alex,
                  76th Foot

                  > Would anyone perhaps have advice on where one
                  might acquire a pair of red-checked stockings appropriate
                  to a 1758 Black Watch regimental impression? I have found
                  very nice high quality pairs in the UK for a paltry $200
                  USD per pair, however I am sincerely hoping there is a
                  slightly more practical alternative available(?)

                  > -Myles
                • Drum Major
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 2 7:43 PM
                    Thanks to all for the fine information and advice! I was aware of the historical accuracy of bag hose, however, as I need them rather quickly for what will be very limited use, I am under the circumstances, prepared to take the easy way out on this particular point of history and opt for knitted ones. As it happens, I also just came across JHiggins today, and will look into the other fine resources offered as well.

                    With appreciation.

                    YHS,

                    -Myles