Searching for red-checked stockings

  • mylesmrfa
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 31, 2008
      List,

      Would anyone perhaps have advice on where one might acquire a pair of
      red-checked stockings appropriate to a 1758 Black Watch regimental
      impression? I have found very nice high quality pairs in the UK for a
      paltry $200 USD per pair, however I am sincerely hoping there is a
      slightly more practical alternative available(?)

      YHS,

      -Myles
    • rfoxfire1745@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2008
        For the correct Diced War Hose that you seek contact Pat Kline of Heirloom
        Weavers in Red Lion Pa. phone # 717-246-5797 . He will have the material but
        you will need to construct the hoes to your own needs, or they would tell you
        what suppliers have it.

        Rich Fox
        SGT MacGregor 42 nd RHG

        Home.

      • David Marquis
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1, 2008
          I bought a pair of these about 4 years ago, and they are holding up
          great, they are knit and not 'bag hose', but then again they stay up
          very well! J. Higgins is the store, in PA I think;

          http://www.jhiggins.net/sf_proddetail.asp?sf_p_ID=IN5C13U5H96439H51F6K1QVR78

          Can't beat it for $60

          David

          --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "mylesmrfa" <DrumMajorMCV@...> wrote:

          > List,
          >
          > Would anyone perhaps have advice on where one might acquire a pair of
          > red-checked stockings appropriate to a 1758 Black Watch regimental
          > impression? I have found very nice high quality pairs in the UK for a
          > paltry $200 USD per pair, however I am sincerely hoping there is a
          > slightly more practical alternative available(?)

          > YHS,
          >
          > -Myles

        • John Ogden
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 1, 2008
            When I was actively pursuing an F&I Highlander impression, we first bought
            the knit hose from J. Higgins, as described by Dave, because they were
            readily available and not murderously expensive. We then went on to acquire
            the fabric to make bag hose as these are more correct. I believe that Wm.
            Booth, Draper ( http://www.wmboothdraper.com/ ) has the appropriate fabric
            for that project. I used the hose pattern found in Colonial French Clothing
            (or something to that effect), available from Smoke & Fire among other
            sutlers. Came out pretty well.

            --
            John J. Ogden
            Hanley School of Law

            Madison, June 20, 1785

          • rfoxfire1745@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 1, 2008
              The knit socks may be well made and cheep but the material and construction
              are for modern use.The time period we are in calls for woven wool bag hose.
              If you use a pattern you will be able to make them to fit you, they should not
              be a baggy looking sack.
              The woven material will hold up well to use and should not snag in the
              brush. The knit socks will pull out quickly looking like s+++.

              Rich Fox
              SGT MacGregor 42 nd RHG

              Home.

            • John Ogden
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 1, 2008
                Sgt,
                That's why Graham's Co'y moved on quickly to the woven/cut/sewn version
                of the stockings.

                John Ogden (formerly Cpl. Iain MacIntyre, Graham's Co'y, 42nd RHR, Fort Pitt
                garrison 1763-67)

                On 4/1/08, rfoxfire1745@... <rfoxfire1745@...> wrote:

                > The knit socks may be well made and cheep but the material and
                > construction
                > are for modern use.The time period we are in calls for woven wool bag
                > hose.
                > If you use a pattern you will be able to make them to fit you, they should
                > not
                > be a baggy looking sack.
                > The woven material will hold up well to use and should not snag in the
                > brush. The knit socks will pull out quickly looking like s+++.
                >
                > Rich Fox
                > SGT MacGregor 42 nd RHG
                >
                > **************Create a Home Theater Like the Pros. Watch the video on AOL
                > Home.
                > (
                > http://home.aol.com/diy/home-improvement-eric-stromer?video=15&ncid=aolhom00030000000001
                > )

                John J. Ogden
                Hanley School of Law
                Duquesne University
                Class of 2011

                Madison, June 20, 1785

              • gabi shopp
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 1, 2008
                  William Booth Draper has the fabric..correct down to the fine black line......

                  "Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all"

                  Would anyone perhaps have advice on where one might acquire a pair of
                  red-checked stockings appropriate to a 1758 Black Watch regimental
                  impression? I have found very nice high quality pairs in the UK for a
                  paltry $200 USD per pair, however I am sincerely hoping there is a
                  slightly more practical alternative available(?)

                  YHS,

                  -Myles

                • Alexander McCracken Good
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 1, 2008
                    Hi Myles,

                    Well, if you're talking about a period authentic pair
                    of diced hose for an F/I type impression, then I'd agree
                    that William Booth and Draper is probably your best bet.
                    Period hose was cut from wool cloth to a pattern and then
                    made to form fit the leg for those wearing it. There were
                    both red and white checked pairs, and red and white checks
                    with a black line seperating them. You'd need to find out
                    which one is correct for whatever impression you're
                    recreating.

                    I THINK William Booth and Draper also sells a hose pattern,
                    but if they don't, you can get the Kannik's Korner long
                    hose pattern and simply cut the pattern at the knee
                    measurement.

                    You want the Stockings, Pockets, and Mitts pattern:

                    http://www.kannikskorner.com/pataccess.htm

                    Good luck,

                    Alex,
                    76th Foot

                    > Would anyone perhaps have advice on where one
                    might acquire a pair of red-checked stockings appropriate
                    to a 1758 Black Watch regimental impression? I have found
                    very nice high quality pairs in the UK for a paltry $200
                    USD per pair, however I am sincerely hoping there is a
                    slightly more practical alternative available(?)

                    > -Myles
                  • Drum Major
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 2, 2008
                      Thanks to all for the fine information and advice! I was aware of the historical accuracy of bag hose, however, as I need them rather quickly for what will be very limited use, I am under the circumstances, prepared to take the easy way out on this particular point of history and opt for knitted ones. As it happens, I also just came across JHiggins today, and will look into the other fine resources offered as well.

                      With appreciation.

                      YHS,

                      -Myles