Umbrella groups?

  • stephenguenther
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 31, 2008
      What do they actually do? Is there a difference between the different
      ones out there?

      thanks,
      steve
    • rangerlt64
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 31, 2008
        Steve,

        Probably the best way to start answering that question is to go to
        their web sites. Here are a few.

        www.continentalline.org/
        www.brigade.org/
        www.britishbrigade.org/
        www.nwta.com/main.html
        www.bvma.org/
        www.geocities.com/~livinghistory/home.htm

        Jim Casco
        Whitcomb's Corps
      • stephenguenther
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1 6:41 AM
          There is alot of info on those sites about recreating environments
          and all, but what does the Umbrella Org do for the member unit?
          Example: in my WW2 Umbrella Org (5th RIB RS/MPHA) members are
          covered under an insurance policy in the event of injuries sustained
          while at a re-enactment. Some WW2 events require membership in
          certain Umbrella groups in order to attend certain events, and I see
          that with 18th C. organizationa, but nothing about insurance or
          benefits other than authenticity guidleines.

          If I can get my organization to adopt guidelines for 18th C.
          impressions, would that be acceptable, or woudl I have to be a
          member or multiple organizations?

          thanks
          steve

          --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "rangerlt64" <caspar@...> wrote:

          > Steve,
          >
          > Probably the best way to start answering that question is to go to
          > their web sites. Here are a few.
          >
          > www.continentalline.org/
          > www.brigade.org/
          > www.britishbrigade.org/
          > www.nwta.com/main.html
          > www.bvma.org/
          > www.geocities.com/~livinghistory/home.htm
          >
          > Jim Casco
          > Whitcomb's Corps

        • bdodgeweaver
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 1 9:28 AM
            --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "stephenguenther"
            <stephenguenther@...> wrote:

            > There is alot of info on those sites about recreating environments
            > and all, but what does the Umbrella Org do for the member unit?
            > Example: in my WW2 Umbrella Org (5th RIB RS/MPHA) members are
            > covered under an insurance policy in the event of injuries
            sustained while at a re-enactment. Some WW2 events require
            membership in certain Umbrella groups in order to attend certain
            events, and I see that with 18th C. organizationa, but nothing about
            insurance or benefits other than authenticity guidleines.

            > If I can get my organization to adopt guidelines for 18th C.
            > impressions, would that be acceptable . . . or woudl I have to be
            a member or multiple organizations?

            > thanks
            > steve

            Dear Steve - From your comment ("If I can get my organization to
            adopt guidelines . . . "), it sounds as if you are contemplating
            starting a new unit. Personally, that sounds like a mistake, given
            the number of decent units already out there, and if you want to do
            Rev War, I'd search for some units down South and see if they fit
            your expectations. Three American units that come immediately to
            mind are the 2nd SC, 2nd NC and 2nd VA (I don't understand the "two-
            thing", but there are also a 2nd PA, 2nd NJ, 2nd NY, 2nd NH, 2nd MA,
            2nd RI, 2nd Light Dragoons, and I think a 2nd CT and 2nd MD). Some
            British and Hessian units in the South include von Bose, Anspach
            Jaegers, 4th Co. Brigade of Guards, 64th Foot, 7th Foot, and "Kings
            Own Patriots" (a fine militia group in the South that usually but
            not always potrays loyalist militia).

            As to what the umbrellas provide, that depends on the umbrella.
            Neither the British Brigade, nor The Continental Line, provide
            insurance. Membership is by unit, and the individual unit must have
            its own insurance. The benefits are (1) admission to larger events
            (many, but not all, "big" events in the East Coast require
            membership in an umbrella, usually less so in the South), and (2)
            the benefit of operating with something approaching appropriate
            scale companies and battalions. Neither of these umbrellas charge
            dues, to my understanding.

            The third large umbrella is the Brigade of the American Revolution
            ("BAR"). The BAR is older (founded in the 1960s), and provides both
            an occasional newsletter (the Courier) and a scholarly journal (the
            Dispatch). There is a lengthy inspection process - "adopting
            guidelines" is not enough. Dues are $25 per person, per year (with
            some modifications for households), and units must be at least 4
            private soldiers. Insurance coverage is provided to your group for
            BAR events, but not other events you may attend. Historically, the
            BAR has had little presence in the American Southeast.

            The general, but not universal, sentiment is that you should belong
            to an umbrella, simply because it allows one to network more
            effectively, and provides an invitation to some events. It's
            perhaps instructive that there has historically been an overlap in
            membership between the BAR and other two umbrellas mentioned.

            Hope this helps - I think if you look at some unit websites and try
            out a weekend or two (most outfits can scare up some loaner gear),
            and ask questions about how they process newbies, as a reenactor you
            may find that better than re-inventing the wheel, and very
            instructive. Good Luck -

            Thad Weaver
            German Rt.
          • stephenguenther
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 1 9:51 AM
              I dont want to start a new unit, but I dont want to pay a fee to
              Charlie Co. and to 5th rangers and then a fee to a revwar unit then
              a revwar umbrella group - thats a lot of money in fees every
              year.....,

              If the MHPA expanded into other time periods, what would it take to
              get recognized by the other organizations? We currently have
              several members that do ACW and my company Cpt. was in the BAR for
              30 years (still might be, I think).

              I just dont wanna end up paying more fees than I have to pay.
              When I get situated, I will probably stick with events in the NY/PA
              area. I may expand that are later, but right now I have a 3 yr old
              with a mild disorder and another baby due in October, so I dont
              think I will be travelling much any time soon, but I would like to
              get myself ready so that when I can , I can just jump right in....

              steve

              --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "bdodgeweaver" <BDodgeWeaver@...>
              wrote:

> [...]
              for
              > BAR events, but not other events you may attend. Historically,
              the
              > BAR has had little presence in the American Southeast.
              >
              > The general, but not universal, sentiment is that you should
              belong
              > to an umbrella, simply because it allows one to network more
              > effectively, and provides an invitation to some events. It's
              > perhaps instructive that there has historically been an overlap in
              > membership between the BAR and other two umbrellas mentioned.
              >
              > Hope this helps - I think if you look at some unit websites and
              try
              > out a weekend or two (most outfits can scare up some loaner gear),
              > and ask questions about how they process newbies, as a reenactor
              you
              > may find that better than re-inventing the wheel, and very

            • ww2gamergm
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 1 10:19 AM
                Steve:

                In regards to the British Brigade (BB), you would belong to a member
                unit, and that unit might have its own membership dues (or not,
                depending on how they cover their insurance bill, etc.). Your unit
                would then pay a BB membership fee of $25 a year, (plus an additional
                $1 per member, if the unit has more than 25 members - members being
                soldiers). Thus the dues for the BB are covered by your unit, either
                through part of your dues that you already paid, or by paying events -
                however they choose to pay for it. There is no additional
                membership fee directly to you.

                The BB, along with its sister organization the Continental Line (CL),
                run two or three large national events a year. In addition, your
                unit would become aware and be invitied to other regional events as
                well, being a member in good standing and thus a known quantity
                (safe, authentic, and insured). Thus the basic benefits of being a
                member unit. There are other benefits, but I am of course
                generalizing.

                If you have any further questions about joining the red team, please
                feel free to contact me offline. We are, after all, from the
                government (Crown), and only here to help.

                Best Regards,

                Jim McGaughey
                HM Marines - BB unit member (and BB trustee)

                PS - My unit includes members from the area you live. Like to
                join? :-)
              • Mike Barbieri
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 2 2:29 PM
                  <stephenguenther@...> wrote:

                  > I dont want to start a new unit, but I dont want to pay a fee to
                  > Charlie Co. and to 5th rangers and then a fee to a revwar unit then
                  > a revwar umbrella group - thats a lot of money in fees every
                  > year.....,

                  Like the BB, the CL does not charge individual dues. Unlike the BB,
                  it doesn't charge unit dues either. Any additional monies you would
                  end up paying would be to the American unit(s) you joined.

                  > If the MHPA expanded into other time periods, what would it take to
                  > get recognized by the other organizations? We currently have
                  > several members that do ACW and my company Cpt. was in the BAR for
                  > 30 years (still might be, I think).

                  Like that red-coated rascal from the High-Minded marines commented
                  earlier, the BAR has a rather strenuous authenticity process folks
                  have to go through to belong. Note that, as Jim says, one generally
                  has to belong to a unit to join the BAR although they do have a
                  Civilian Class Membership but, I believe, they discourage military
                  impressions in that element.

                  The CL also does not have individual memberships so, you would have
                  to join a unit to belong to the CL. Members of CL units automatically
                  belong to the CL. Units can join the CL by being sponsored for
                  membership by an existing member unit. Again, there are no costs to
                  the individual other than whatever the unit has for dues/fees. The CL
                  does not have as strict authenticity requirements as the BAR--uses
                  peer pressure to encourage folks to improve. Before becoming full
                  members, CL units are observed at events with regard to safety,
                  performance, and cooperation.

                  Like the BB, belonging to the CL gets you info and invitations to a
                  couple national events where the BB, CL, and often the BAR gather
                  together in large numbers--like migrating birds. There are also a
                  number of regional events generally of medium size put on by CL and
                  BB units. The other big advantage is recognition as belonging to a
                  unit that has met some rather high standards.

                  One last plug--visit the CL website, www.continentalline.org, and you
                  can view a list of member units, most of whom have their own websites.

                  Mike Barbieri
                  Whitcomb's Corps
                  CL Northern Dept. Coordinator

> [...]
                  > the
                  > > BAR has had little presence in the American Southeast.
                  > >
                  > > The general, but not universal, sentiment is that you should
                  > belong
                  > > to an umbrella, simply because it allows one to network more
                  > > effectively, and provides an invitation to some events. It's
                  > > perhaps instructive that there has historically been an overlap
                  in
                  > > membership between the BAR and other two umbrellas mentioned.
                  > >
                  > > Hope this helps - I think if you look at some unit websites and
                  > try
                  > > out a weekend or two (most outfits can scare up some loaner
                  gear),
                  > > and ask questions about how they process newbies, as a reenactor
                  > you
                  > > may find that better than re-inventing the wheel, and very

                • Jay Callaham
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 2 2:51 PM
                    -------------- Original message from "Mike Barbieri" <ottercreek@...>: --------------
                    > --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "stephenguenther"

                    <snip>

                    > Like that red-coated rascal from the High-Minded marines commented
                    > earlier, the BAR has a rather strenuous authenticity process folks
                    > have to go through to belong. Note that, as Jim says, one generally
                    > has to belong to a unit to join the BAR although they do have a
                    > Civilian Class Membership but, I believe, they discourage military
                    > impressions in that element.

                    <snip>

                    The BAR also has what is known as "The Garrison Regiment," which is for military members who have no unit. The idea of the Garrison Reg't is for individuals to have some entity with which to affiliate while looking for an existing unit to join or while raising a new one. Joining an existing unit is easier.

                    The strenuousness of the inspection process doesn't have to be too difficult if the applicant unit has its act together.

                    Cheers!

                    Jay
                    Coldm Regt
                    Inspector, Southern Department, BAR

                  • Mike Barbieri
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 2 4:00 PM
                      --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "Jay Callaham" <callaham@...> wrote:

                      > The BAR also has what is known as "The Garrison Regiment," which is
                      for military members who have no unit. The idea of the Garrison Reg't
                      is for individuals to have some entity with which to affiliate while
                      looking for an existing unit to join or while raising a new one.

                      Oops--forgot about that.

                      > Joining an existing unit is easier.

                      But, I'm not sure it's as much fun or as satisfying as starting a
                      unit and having it succeed (I imagine it must suck if it fails).

                      > The strenuousness of the inspection process doesn't have to be too
                      difficult if the applicant unit has its act together.

                      That's a major objective of the authenticity requirement and
                      inspection--to make sure the unit has its act together, at least in
                      regard to matierial culture. Much of the rest comes with experience.
                      And don't be shy about asking other folks for help. Most BAR members
                      are more than willing to share their knowledge.

                      Mike Barbieri
                      Whitcomb's Corps