Re: Crates, Chests and Boxes... oh my!! - And Markings.

  • Lloyd Moler
    Message 1 of 36 , Feb 2, 2008
      --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "raynersteve" <steverayner@...> wrote:

      > SALE Mid 18th C. Walnut Document Box w/ Strap Hinges and Lock
      > Antiques : Primitives : Document Box

      Steve,
      That is a wonderful box. I saved it in my Documentation file.
      However, I don't think it is a "document" box. This thought is due
      to the size and the remnants of the dividers inside. If you will
      notice there are provisions for two dividers running front to back.
      With ease, a single divider could have been running also from side to
      side, which would have made 6 square area's inside the box. I
      suspect because of this that we have an actual "Liquor Chest."

      The construction techniques are well worth remembering when I make
      future chest for my own use.

      Thanks for posting that link.

      Lloyd Moler
    • raynersteve
      Message 36 of 36 , Mar 2, 2008
        Nails from Fort Stanwix.

        Hi All;

        I just wanted to follow up with a worthwhile resource for this topic.

        “Casemates and Cannonballs” has a section about nails recovered during
        the archaeological investigations at Fort Stanwix.

        “Rose-head (fig 31a) Rose-head nails appear in all sizes but not all
        specimens of this type have rounded heads; many were flat with only
        short slopes near the edges.” p. 51.

        [In other words - the term ‘rose-head’ is used in a sense similar to
        Band-Aid, Coke or Kleenex, rather than precisely.]

        Fig. 31 indeed shows a range of spikes and nails. Only a few examples
        of the approximately 24,600 nails found are illustrated, of course.

        A few examples are nails in the range of 1-5 / 8” to 2-1 / 8” These
        tend to have tapered square shanks ending in a sharp point, and
        flattened or just slightly domed heads.

        There are some larger nails in the range of 4-1 / 4” to 4-1 / 2”, one
        of which has something resembling a ‘rose-head'.

        Several large spikes are illustrated also, 6 to 8” in length, as well
        as a range of nails and staples for specialized applications.

        See pages p. 51-55 for text, illustrations and considerable
        statistical analysis.

        It seems that the size range of 1-5 / 8” to 2-1 / 8” would be suitable
        for light carpentry work, such as chests.

        “Casemates and Cannonballs” by the way is a very good and in my
        opinion, very useful resource. Lots of findngs on personal items,
        utensils, tools, ceramics and glass found at the fort.

        Hanson, Lee, and Hsu, Dick Ping; “Casemates and Cannonballs,
        Archaeological Investigations at Fort Stanwix National Park.” Inited
        States Department of the Interior, National Park Service, USGPO,
        Washington DC 1975.

        Best Regards,

        Steve Rayner