Marine Complements was Re: Mount Vernon - British Rev War Reenactors needed

  • Ed Seufert
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 1, 2008
      --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher (Chris) Woolf"
      <ccwoolf@...> wrote:

      > That's great, Ed. Thanks.
      >
      > One more question... I just read that parliament voted to REDUCE
      the
      > Navy by about 10% in December 1774. So does the 4287 for 1775
      > represent that reduction? Or, put another away, what was the
      > establishment in 1772-74?
      >
      > Just out of interest, was recruiting for the Marine service any
      > easier than recruiting for the Army during the RevWar?
      >
      > Thanks for being so patient with me.
      > Best
      > Chris

      Chris,

      Sorry to take so long to get back to you but it appears as if there
      was no reduction in force for the Marines between 1763, when they
      were reduced to 70 Companies and 4287 Marines, and 1775. Both
      histories bear this out.

      Jim's email helped explain the difficulties of recruiting and the
      officer's position. Nicholas' history has an appendix containing 10-
      12 Memorials seeking redress for the officers. To add insult, the
      Admiralty in 1763 appointed 3 Colonels of Marines who happened to be
      Naval Officers and not from the Marine officer ranks. Talk about
      discontent: what a way to tell your officers, they will never rise
      above Lt-Col! These "Colonels" would become honorary positions,
      however, the practice continued well into the Napoleonic/1812 era.
      Admiral Cockburn of Chesapeake/Washington fame was a Colonel of
      Marines.

      Some of the soldiers who did serve as marines were recruited into
      the service. The marine service competed for recruits in the same
      places the army did as well amongst the militia. Filling the ranks
      of the Royal Marines during the Napoleonic Wars was just as
      difficult, with many foreigners taken into the service. Supposedly,
      one ship's RM complemement was made up mostly of Poles!

      Hope this helps.

      Cheers,

      Ed Seufert
      Battery W, RA