Re: Crates, Chests and Boxes... oh my!! - And Markings.

  • Douglas Butler
    Message 1 of 36 , Feb 2, 2008
      Is it possible that the crate the plans come from was repaired?
      Perhaps the crate was originally well built with a properly rabitted
      bottom. But being re-used several times the bottom became damaged.
      Someone just cut the bottom flush and nailed on a new bottom.

      Either that or it may be "museum syndrome". The good stuff gets used
      up, worn out, and thrown away. It is the items that were too fancy,
      didn't fit, or just not right that ended up in museums.

      SherpaDoug

      http://web.archive.org/web/20050904044200/http://www.fieldmusic.com/barshot/box.htm

      > > Comes up just fine..
      > >
      > > Tony

    • raynersteve
      Message 36 of 36 , Mar 2, 2008
        Nails from Fort Stanwix.

        Hi All;

        I just wanted to follow up with a worthwhile resource for this topic.

        “Casemates and Cannonballs” has a section about nails recovered during
        the archaeological investigations at Fort Stanwix.

        “Rose-head (fig 31a) Rose-head nails appear in all sizes but not all
        specimens of this type have rounded heads; many were flat with only
        short slopes near the edges.” p. 51.

        [In other words - the term ‘rose-head’ is used in a sense similar to
        Band-Aid, Coke or Kleenex, rather than precisely.]

        Fig. 31 indeed shows a range of spikes and nails. Only a few examples
        of the approximately 24,600 nails found are illustrated, of course.

        A few examples are nails in the range of 1-5 / 8” to 2-1 / 8” These
        tend to have tapered square shanks ending in a sharp point, and
        flattened or just slightly domed heads.

        There are some larger nails in the range of 4-1 / 4” to 4-1 / 2”, one
        of which has something resembling a ‘rose-head'.

        Several large spikes are illustrated also, 6 to 8” in length, as well
        as a range of nails and staples for specialized applications.

        See pages p. 51-55 for text, illustrations and considerable
        statistical analysis.

        It seems that the size range of 1-5 / 8” to 2-1 / 8” would be suitable
        for light carpentry work, such as chests.

        “Casemates and Cannonballs” by the way is a very good and in my
        opinion, very useful resource. Lots of findngs on personal items,
        utensils, tools, ceramics and glass found at the fort.

        Hanson, Lee, and Hsu, Dick Ping; “Casemates and Cannonballs,
        Archaeological Investigations at Fort Stanwix National Park.” Inited
        States Department of the Interior, National Park Service, USGPO,
        Washington DC 1975.

        Best Regards,

        Steve Rayner