Re: Crates, Chests and Boxes... oh my!! - And Markings.

  • Patrick O'Kelley
    Message 1 of 36 , Feb 2, 2008
      Howdy,

      > Wow, Steve, that is a beautiful example. Thanks for that and for all
      > your helpful input on my question. Love the story about Mr. Gracie.
      > John's point is well taken; I guess it might be ok to vary the
      design
      > slightly to make the bottom stronger, (even though I don't plan to
      > pack the thing with liquor)

      I've held back commenting on this, mainly because I don't want to
      go looking up the documentation. However Grimke, in his orderly
      book, goes into detail on how to build an ammunition chest, the
      dimensions and such. One part that he emphasizes is that the sides
      should be nailed to the bottom, and not the other way around. This
      way the bottom won't come off when carrying heavy weight.
      If any of you see me at an event selling books, the ammo crates
      that my books are in are based upon those boxes.

      Patrick O'Kelley
      2nd North Carolina Regiment http://www.2nc.org/
      The Carolina Brigade http://www.carolinabrigade.org/
      Author of "Nothing but Blood and Slaughter" and Francis Marion's
      Orderly book
      Available at http://bluehousetavern.com/
    • raynersteve
      Message 36 of 36 , Mar 2, 2008
        Nails from Fort Stanwix.

        Hi All;

        I just wanted to follow up with a worthwhile resource for this topic.

        “Casemates and Cannonballs” has a section about nails recovered during
        the archaeological investigations at Fort Stanwix.

        “Rose-head (fig 31a) Rose-head nails appear in all sizes but not all
        specimens of this type have rounded heads; many were flat with only
        short slopes near the edges.” p. 51.

        [In other words - the term ‘rose-head’ is used in a sense similar to
        Band-Aid, Coke or Kleenex, rather than precisely.]

        Fig. 31 indeed shows a range of spikes and nails. Only a few examples
        of the approximately 24,600 nails found are illustrated, of course.

        A few examples are nails in the range of 1-5 / 8” to 2-1 / 8” These
        tend to have tapered square shanks ending in a sharp point, and
        flattened or just slightly domed heads.

        There are some larger nails in the range of 4-1 / 4” to 4-1 / 2”, one
        of which has something resembling a ‘rose-head'.

        Several large spikes are illustrated also, 6 to 8” in length, as well
        as a range of nails and staples for specialized applications.

        See pages p. 51-55 for text, illustrations and considerable
        statistical analysis.

        It seems that the size range of 1-5 / 8” to 2-1 / 8” would be suitable
        for light carpentry work, such as chests.

        “Casemates and Cannonballs” by the way is a very good and in my
        opinion, very useful resource. Lots of findngs on personal items,
        utensils, tools, ceramics and glass found at the fort.

        Hanson, Lee, and Hsu, Dick Ping; “Casemates and Cannonballs,
        Archaeological Investigations at Fort Stanwix National Park.” Inited
        States Department of the Interior, National Park Service, USGPO,
        Washington DC 1975.

        Best Regards,

        Steve Rayner