Re: Crates, Chests and Boxes... oh my!! - And Markings.

  • raynersteve
    Message 1 of 36 , Feb 1, 2008
      Hi All;

      Seeing and handling artifacts is of course the best way to learn about
      furnishings of the era. But when you can't do that, we have some
      dealers on the web who make an excellent presentation. Among these is
      this item:

      http://www.rubylane.com/shops/sweetpeacottage/iteml/AntWDB-270#pic1

      SALE Mid 18th C. Walnut Document Box w/ Strap Hinges and Lock
      Antiques : Primitives : Document Box

      Now, I'm not saying "we should use this kind of chest in camp." What I
      am saying is that we can learn a lot by studying original woodworking
      methods.

      These are some gorgeous detail images.

      Can't help but notice that the bottom is attached with a combination
      of nails and pegs.

      Also, from time to time, one sees an 18th or 19th century chest with
      the dovetails done 'backwards,' with the keys on the side rather than
      on the front. This doesn't make sense, because in that direction, the
      dovetail can easily pull apart. Inexplicable. Yet it was done from
      time to time - I don't recommend it though. <;)

      It looks like it might have had compartments at one time. Very
      interesting!

      On thing about antiques though... anywhere, whether in a pricey shoppe
      or at the flea, is that there is seldom a 'sure thing.' I have been
      known to smell and even taste items before I reach for the wallet and
      I've still fooled myself once or twice.

      But this item is very nicely photographed and has a lot of good
      characteristics, so i thought I'd pass it along.

      Best Regards,

      Steve Rayner
    • raynersteve
      Message 36 of 36 , Mar 2, 2008
        Nails from Fort Stanwix.

        Hi All;

        I just wanted to follow up with a worthwhile resource for this topic.

        “Casemates and Cannonballs” has a section about nails recovered during
        the archaeological investigations at Fort Stanwix.

        “Rose-head (fig 31a) Rose-head nails appear in all sizes but not all
        specimens of this type have rounded heads; many were flat with only
        short slopes near the edges.” p. 51.

        [In other words - the term ‘rose-head’ is used in a sense similar to
        Band-Aid, Coke or Kleenex, rather than precisely.]

        Fig. 31 indeed shows a range of spikes and nails. Only a few examples
        of the approximately 24,600 nails found are illustrated, of course.

        A few examples are nails in the range of 1-5 / 8” to 2-1 / 8” These
        tend to have tapered square shanks ending in a sharp point, and
        flattened or just slightly domed heads.

        There are some larger nails in the range of 4-1 / 4” to 4-1 / 2”, one
        of which has something resembling a ‘rose-head'.

        Several large spikes are illustrated also, 6 to 8” in length, as well
        as a range of nails and staples for specialized applications.

        See pages p. 51-55 for text, illustrations and considerable
        statistical analysis.

        It seems that the size range of 1-5 / 8” to 2-1 / 8” would be suitable
        for light carpentry work, such as chests.

        “Casemates and Cannonballs” by the way is a very good and in my
        opinion, very useful resource. Lots of findngs on personal items,
        utensils, tools, ceramics and glass found at the fort.

        Hanson, Lee, and Hsu, Dick Ping; “Casemates and Cannonballs,
        Archaeological Investigations at Fort Stanwix National Park.” Inited
        States Department of the Interior, National Park Service, USGPO,
        Washington DC 1975.

        Best Regards,

        Steve Rayner